table moving/work estimate

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9ft one piece fischer table that needs to be moved about 15 miles. It is currently in a ground level room, to get it it out it would need to go through one doorway and out a larger door. The desination is a basement 9 steps down. Basement stairs located directly to the right of a side door entrance.

I am trying to get an estimated price from a few mechanics. Also how much extra would you want for new rails and new cloth, if I provided the materials.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have a 9ft one piece fischer table that needs to be moved about 15 miles. It is currently in a ground level room, to get it it out it would need to go through one doorway and out a larger door. The desination is a basement 9 steps down. Basement stairs located directly to the right of a side door entrance.

I am trying to get an estimated price from a few mechanics. Also how much extra would you want for new rails and new cloth, if I provided the materials.

Are you asking for a quote from every mechanic in this country....or just from the ones in your area? When you say..."one piece"...what do you mean...one piece table body...one piece 9ft slate?

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member
9ft one piece fischer is a new one to me.
There are different prices in different parts of country your location would help. And i'd double check the size to

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you asking for a quote from every mechanic in this country....or just from the ones in your area? When you say..."one piece"...what do you mean...one piece table body...one piece 9ft slate?
Just anybody that cares to give their input. Having a tough time finding mechanics nearby. I believe it is 7/8" one piece slate from what ive read.

Location Western NY state

Last edited:

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I'd also like to clarify...is there a turn right before you go down the stairs? How far are the walls away from the top of the stairs? How high is the ceiling in the staircase at its lowest point?

Me personally, from the sounds of things, I wouldn't be able to give you an accurate estimate without seeing the entry/exit/table to know exactly what it would take, and IF the table would even go in the basement in the house it's going to. Are you willing to pay someone's mileage to come and look at the table? Might be something you need to consider.

Also, how soon do you need this table moved?

OTLB

Banned
if you have a sheet of plywood for example, see if you can get that down the stairs easy standing vertically. If so, you should be able to tell from there, if not mock up a actual model in cardboard

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you have a sheet of plywood for example, see if you can get that down the stairs easy standing vertically. If so, you should be able to tell from there, if not mock up a actual model in cardboard
why vertically? seems easier to do horizontally

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just anybody that cares to give their input. Having a tough time finding mechanics nearby. I believe it is 7/8" one piece slate from what ive read.

Location Western NY state

That would make it an 8ft 44"x88" table, slate measures 47 1/2" by 91 1/2" by 7/8" thick...same slate in an 8ft Valley bar table. There were no Fisher 9ft, one piece slate tables ever built.

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fisher tables for the most part almost all had the same look to them, from the 60's, 70's & 80's. The table in the picture looks to be a 9ft, but it didn't come with a one piece slate, it was a 3 piece. The table is not a hard table to move as it does come apart.
I am sorry for all of the confusion I am causing. Hope I am not annoying you mechanics. The tables has been in my grand fathers basement since he bought it. He is now in a nursing home and says that I can have it. I have not been able to take a look at the table in detail yet so the specifics to me are not known.

I plan on getting out there this week to take a look at it closer. I just wanted to get a ballpark idea.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am sorry for all of the confusion I am causing. Hope I am not annoying you mechanics. The tables has been in my grand fathers basement since he bought it. He is now in a nursing home and says that I can have it. I have not been able to take a look at the table in detail yet so the specifics to me are not known.

I plan on getting out there this week to take a look at it closer. I just wanted to get a ballpark idea.

Just do us a favor buddy...get a few more of them details down pat....and let us know....we'll help you out somehow...when we know what you're dealing with all together:)

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ft. Fisher

In the mid 70's I had a nine foot Fisher. It was 3-piece slate and easy to move and assemble. We moved it out of a friends basement. Do not remember If there was a tight turn. That was my first time setting up a table. Turned out great and the table played good.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I've seen an old 8 ft one piece, Fischer, but not a 9'.... have to go with Glen on this one. The 8 ft I did in Denton last year was 3/4" slate.
Definitely should get some more info on the layout for moving your table out of there to get a good estimate though. too many variables.
But with all the guys on here in your part of the world, I'm sure you're in good hands at the end. Just ,make sure it's one of the good guys, you don't want a hack tearing something up- table or house!

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went and actually took a look at the table. It is an 8' table, not 9' like I originally thought. It is not slate at all, but one piece composite.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I went and actually took a look at the table. It is an 8' table, not 9' like I originally thought. It is not slate at all, but one piece composite.

Good news is with the weight difference, it will probably be quite a bit easier to move than what you were thinking. The bad news is, with what you would spend on moving and new cloth and possibly new rubber, you could buy a new one and not have to worry about moving it. Keep in mind too that in some of those non-slate tables, they really weren't meant to be recovered or anything. I don't want to say they were made as disposable tables, but they definitely weren't made to last a very long time.

With the flooded used market right now, your money may be better spent trying to find a decent used slate table, unless your table has sentimental value. Just my opinion.

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good news is with the weight difference, it will probably be quite a bit easier to move than what you were thinking. The bad news is, with what you would spend on moving and new cloth and possibly new rubber, you could buy a new one and not have to worry about moving it. Keep in mind too that in some of those non-slate tables, they really weren't meant to be recovered or anything. I don't want to say they were made as disposable tables, but they definitely weren't made to last a very long time.

With the flooded used market right now, your money may be better spent trying to find a decent used slate table, unless your table has sentimental value. Just my opinion.
Since it's not slate and lighter, I am gonna round up a few friends to move it try moving it ourselves. If we can't then oh well no table. If we can then I have a free pool table in my basement.

The cloth was in great condition and the rails felt good when i felt them. Somebody took the legs off and leaned the table against the wall so I wasnt able to actually test the cushions.