Taiwan's pool news update: Guo-Chang row

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan has just held an internal trial to decide who should represent the country to play in the Asian Tour in 2007.
There are 4 seats. But one had already gone to Chao. So only the remainng 3 seats were up for grabs.
It was the final phase of the trial, with only 8 pro players remained to compete.
Yang proved he's still the king of the island by winning the trial with one round to spare. (there were 5 rounds in total)
Competition for the remaing 2 seats was stiff.
Wu Chia-Ching struggled at first but mangaed to pull together and took the 2nd place.
Controversy arose in the all-important match in the final round between 3rd-place hopefuls Guo and Chang YL. Having taken the 3rd straight rack, Guo made a mistake - he forgot to mark his win! (yes, the players had to mark their own scores in this competition). Guo didn't realize his error until after the break in the 4th rack. He asked the judge if he could correct the score. When the judge was about to say yes, his opponent Chang protested. So Guo had to settle for the 2-0 score. The frustrated Guo got distracted afterwards and began to lose games. The atmosphere had changed too. Some said Chang began to taunt Guo (unproven). In the 8th rack, trailing 3-4, Guo sudden announced to quit the game.
Chang went on to win 2 more matches and took the 3rd-place, joining Chao, Yang and Wu for the tickets to the tour.
But had Guo win the match against Chang, he'd be guaranteed 3rd.
3 time junior world champ Wu YL was 4th. He'll be playing in the Taipei stop of the tour, in which the host is given 5 seats.

Here's the final points of the trial:
1. Yang CS 62 (for 4 rounds)
2. Wu CC 52
3. Chang YL 52
4. Wu YL 50
5. Guo PC 49

Last edited:

daake0266

Registered
I think it's "Kuo" Po-Cheng not "Guo" Po-Cheng

Chang Jung-Lin is 20 years old. Wu Chia-Ching and Wu Yu-Lun are both 17.

I have heard Chao was planning to retire and has moved to Chinese Mainland. Is it true?

Last edited:

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
daake0266 said:
I think it's "Kuo" Po-Cheng not "Guo" Po-Cheng

Chang Jung-Lin is 20 years old. Wu Chia-Ching and Wu Yu-Lun are both 17.

I have heard Chao was planning to retire and has moved to Chinese Mainland. Is it true?

Yes, you're right. I was mistaken.:p
The Taiwanese and the Chinese on mainland China speak the same language, Mandarin. Yet they use a different "pingyin" system. So sometimes I got confused.
Here are some examples:
Guo (China) vs Kuo (Taiwan)
Zhang vs Chang
Zhao vs Chao
But "Wu", "Fu", "Wang", "Chen" are the same

Chao is now stationed in Shanghai, running his own pool hall and school. But he will still play in major tournaments.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
big_worm said:
Yes, you're right. I was mistaken.:p
The Taiwanese and the Chinese on mainland China speak the same language, Mandarin. Yet they use a different "pingyin" system. So sometimes I got confused.
Here are some examples:
Guo (China) vs Kuo (Taiwan)
Zhang vs Chang
Zhao vs Chao
But "Wu", "Fu", "Wang", "Chen" are the same

Chao is now stationed in Shanghai, running his own pool hall and school. But he will still play in major tournaments.

Many people think the English language is difficult. But Wu, Fu, Wang, and Chen being the same just blow me away.

Thank you for the updates on the next group of pool players who will bring even more excellence to this popular sport.

Can you tell me the name of the pool hall that Chao owns in Shanghai?
thanks,
Joey A

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
Many people think the English language is difficult. But Wu, Fu, Wang, and Chen being the same just blow me away.

Thank you for the updates on the next group of pool players who will bring even more excellence to this popular sport.

Can you tell me the name of the pool hall that Chao owns in Shanghai?
thanks,
Joey A

I didn't mean to say Wu, Fu... are the same.
I meant "Wu" is the same family name on both sides of China & Taiwan.
Fu, Wang, Chen, ditto.
Sorry for the confusion.
Here in Hong Kong we speak another language(some say dialect), Cantonese. "Wu" turns out to be "Ng". Wang -> Wong. Chen -> Chan (Jacky Chan)

I don't know about Chao's pool hall. I just heard from a friend in Taiwan a few months ago that Chao was going to "blaze a trail" for pool in Shanghai, where snooker is a more poplular cue sport. I don't know how he's doing over there. And I've not been to SH for years.

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
big_worm
Thanks for the info on Chao. We don't get to hear a lot about him here in America.
I sent you a PM.
Terry

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
big_worm said:
I didn't mean to say Wu, Fu... are the same.
I meant "Wu" is the same family name on both sides of China & Taiwan.
Fu, Wang, Chen, ditto.
Sorry for the confusion.
Here in Hong Kong we speak another language(some say dialect), Cantonese. "Wu" turns out to be "Ng". Wang -> Wong. Chen -> Chan (Jacky Chan)

I don't know about Chao's pool hall. I just heard from a friend in Taiwan a few months ago that Chao was going to "blaze a trail" for pool in Shanghai, where snooker is a more poplular cue sport. I don't know how he's doing over there. And I've not been to SH for years.

Oh, thank God, if those names would have been the same, I would never think of going back to China. :)

On RSB years ago we used to have a German guy, working for a HOng Kong bank who was I think a computer guy (network engineer I think) who liked good cues and bought and occasionally sold some. He played in some of the tournaments in Hong Kong but I can't remember his name. He was in Hong Kong for several years. By this description would you know him?
Thanks,
JoeyA

Cheez Dawg

Flawed Perfectionist
Silver Member
big_worm said:
Controversy arose in the all-important match in the final round between 3rd-place hopefuls Guo and Chang YL. Having taken the 3rd straight rack, Guo made a mistake - he forgot to mark his win! (yes, the players had to mark their own scores in this competition). Guo didn't realize his error until after the break in the 4th rack. He asked the judge if he could correct the score. When the judge was about to say yes, his opponent Chang protested. So Guo had to settle for the 2-0 score.

This sounds ridiculous to me that after knowingly losing the third game, that he would protest it being marked after the start of the fourth rack.
I don't know what the rules are for marking games, but to me, a game won is a game won regardless of when it is marked. Sounds kinda petty. JMHO.:D

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheez Dawg said:
This sounds ridiculous to me that after knowingly losing the third game, that he would protest it being marked after the start of the fourth rack.
I don't know what the rules are for marking games, but to me, a game won is a game won regardless of when it is marked. Sounds kinda petty. JMHO.:D

It has become the hottest topic on Taiwan's pool forums.
Many are questioning Chang's integrity and sportsmanship.

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
On RSB years ago we used to have a German guy, working for a HOng Kong bank who was I think a computer guy (network engineer I think) who liked good cues and bought and occasionally sold some. He played in some of the tournaments in Hong Kong but I can't remember his name. He was in Hong Kong for several years. By this description would you know him?
Thanks,
JoeyA

I'm afraid I don't.
I'm basically an ameteur snooker player. And all my friends play snooker. I have a hard time geting my friends to play "US pool" with me.
HK used to be Britain's colony. People here generally think snooker is more "professional" and pool is only for leisure.
People who have a passion for pool like me are considered "weirdo".:(

Sprite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
big_worm said:
It has become the hottest topic on Taiwan's pool forums.
Many are questioning Chang's integrity and sportsmanship.

Can you pm me the link? I like to make a visit there.