Tale of two tables

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two tables, due to a dishwasher leak upstairs my Gold Crown IV could use the Simonis replaced with a table tune up. No problem there.

My other table is a Valley 88 with a crap job done on the Simonis and Penguin cushions which play fine but has 4.5 pockets on all six holes.

I really want the Valley to play like a true bar box from back in the day. I'm thinking of some slow nappy cloth and I'd like true bar box buckets made for swallowing balls and quarters.

Any recommendations on the cloth? And what size pockets are on a early sixties era Valley? Not looking to cut the shelf.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two tables, due to a dishwasher leak upstairs my Gold Crown IV could use the Simonis replaced with a table tune up. No problem there.

My other table is a Valley 88 with a crap job done on the Simonis and Penguin cushions which play fine but has 4.5 pockets on all six holes.

I really want the Valley to play like a true bar box from back in the day. I'm thinking of some slow nappy cloth and I'd like true bar box buckets made for swallowing balls and quarters.

Any recommendations on the cloth? And what size pockets are on a early sixties era Valley? Not looking to cut the shelf.
you need standard Valley cushions and pockets. corners on them have always been around 5". i don't know if you can still find the old burlap-slow fuzzy cloth. probably find it on Amazon somewhere.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have the original cushions, I'd like the Penguins cut to size. I'll talk to the local mechanic about the GC and see what he says about working on the Valley.

The thing with these two tables is to bring back what I played on sixty years ago. Plus I have buddies that can't see nine feet much less make a ball. Just trying to help them along. Thanks.

phreaticus

I don't have the original cushions, I'd like the Penguins cut to size. I'll talk to the local mechanic about the GC and see what he says about working on the Valley.

The thing with these two tables is to bring back what I played on sixty years ago. Plus I have buddies that can't see nine feet much less make a ball. Just trying to help them along. Thanks.
A set of standard Valley rails shouldn’t be very pricey, and will likely be cheaper than custom tweaking your Penguins. Many local mechanics will have plenty of them. Also, you might be able to find someone to swap with, or resell your Penquins, as they are a pretty popular upgrade.

As for side pocket size, thats one funny thing about bar tables, standard Valleys with 5” corners often work out to have side pockets that are actually about the same size or smaller, unlike 9 ft tables where the sides are traditionally 1/2” larger than the corners. Many folks don’t realize this little barbox anomaly.

✌️

Ghost of OBC

I don't have any advice to add, but I think you are doing a cool thing. I hope you get the tables sorted out to the old standard and enjoy them.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have some cloth made by Brunswick on the Gandy at our sr center. If slow and nappy is what you seek this will work

neolux

Registered
you need standard Valley cushions and pockets. corners on them have always been around 5". i don't know if you can still find the old burlap-slow fuzzy cloth. probably find it on Amazon somewhere.
If you can find some IPT tournament cloth by Gorina, from the mid 2000's, that cloth was really slow and nappy!!!

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley table corner pocket is about 4 5/8”, they never were 5”. I’ve never seen one that was. The advice to swap for stock rubber is right on.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Valley table corner pocket is about 4 5/8”, they never were 5”. I’ve never seen one that was. The advice to swap for stock rubber is right on.
Yup, all the Valleys that I have ever checked you could pass a second ball just barely past 1 in the jaws, its the short shelves that Valleys have that make people think they are buckets.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
It’s the short shelf AND the pocket angles (throat wider than mouth) that makes them play like buckets. Designed to drop once it passes the mouth to collect looneys faster…

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums