TAR, BEF, streams, and restaurants

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAR streaming the BEF Junior Nationals for free today! That is called promoting the game and giving back to the community. As well as showcasing his production capabilities.

I mentioned on another thread about people asking when any most recent TAR broadcast will be free online on youtube or whatever. I know this subject chaps Justin's a$$ often.

In full disclosure, I've never purchased a stream broadcast. Funds and timing to view are main reasons. But here is an analogy for those that may not understand completely.

Think of TAR as a fine restaurant. Many people would LOVE to go to this restaurant, but only a certain amount of people can either afford it, or justify it in their budget vs other wants/needs.

Now, if that restaurant had a policy of serving anything that didn't get consumed on a Friday night, they would serve free on Saturday night, how do you think that restaurant would do? Even the people that could afford or justify it would soon just get in line early on Saturday to get it for free, right?

For those of us who can't justify the finest restaurant, but still want a good steak, can go to other, inexpensive restaurants (or free streams) to see live action.

Well, today, that fine restaurant (TAR) is handing out free samples (BEF Junior Nationals). I don't know if he will get a ton of viewers since these aren't professionals (yet). But I do know one of the 14/under boys (Sergio Garcia) and one 18/under boy (Tyler Styer) and I can tell you, these are not little kids banging balls around. These are crazy talented kids. Both of them play in the Beloit Carom Room tournaments every year. Sergio won 2 of them back to back against crazy good competition.

I believe both of them are even entered into the high roller tourney coming up that has $5k added. And the best of the best better bring their A game, or one of them could just snap it off.

Thanks to TAR for the free samples today. I hope I get the opportunity to watch.

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
shapeimage_4.png

http://www.theactionreport.com/home.html

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAR streaming the BEF Junior Nationals for free today! That is called promoting the game and giving back to the community. As well as showcasing his production capabilities.

I mentioned on another thread about people asking when any most recent TAR broadcast will be free online on youtube or whatever. I know this subject chaps Justin's a$$ often.

In full disclosure, I've never purchased a stream broadcast. Funds and timing to view are main reasons. But here is an analogy for those that may not understand completely.

Think of TAR as a fine restaurant. Many people would LOVE to go to this restaurant, but only a certain amount of people can either afford it, or justify it in their budget vs other wants/needs.

Now, if that restaurant had a policy of serving anything that didn't get consumed on a Friday night, they would serve free on Saturday night, how do you think that restaurant would do? Even the people that could afford or justify it would soon just get in line early on Saturday to get it for free, right?

For those of us who can't justify the finest restaurant, but still want a good steak, can go to other, inexpensive restaurants (or free streams) to see live action.

Well, today, that fine restaurant (TAR) is handing out free samples (BEF Junior Nationals). I don't know if he will get a ton of viewers since these aren't professionals (yet). But I do know one of the 14/under boys (Sergio Garcia) and one 18/under boy (Tyler Styer) and I can tell you, these are not little kids banging balls around. These are crazy talented kids. Both of them play in the Beloit Carom Room tournaments every year. Sergio won 2 of them back to back against crazy good competition.

I believe both of them are even entered into the high roller tourney coming up that has $5k added. And the best of the best better bring their A game, or one of them could just snap it off.

Thanks to TAR for the free samples today. I hope I get the opportunity to watch.

The concept is not hard to fathom- what IS difficult for me to get however is how any pool fan that can use a computer has never ONCE purchased a pool stream.

sharkmate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flip side....

Its very nice to have Tar stream the juniors for free but, honestly, in the last week or so of watching Tar's PPV in Las Vegas, I did not see any Juniors in the audience watching, despite the fact that admission there was free? I hear a lot of negative comments about Bonus Ball but in reality Bonus Ball is a union of professional players dedicated to perform for a pay check. A concept that has never been tried before and where is the support by the amateur leagues, the billiard supplier industry and the public? You know the answer to that- very little. So is it any wonder then that professional billiards is losing popularity as a spectator sport? You never see it hardly on ESPN anymore, major tournaments are far and few between, fields are dwindling even for the the few that do happen, poolrooms everywhere are going out of business and so on. The problem comes down to the fact that the pool league industry and the professional players are two separate entities, one makes huge amounts of money while the other starves. Unless this separation is bridged through better cooperation and investment, things will only get worse for the American professional billiard player. :grin:

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of my local Wisconsin horses are in the hotseat in their divisions. Looking forward to watching them on the TAR stream tonight. Tyler Styer in the 18/under and Sergio Rivas in the 14/under!! Go get em guys!!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAR should stream Ko vs SVB, while they're both in town. So no additional traveling expenses would occur.

Race to 30, 10ball. 15 bucks to watch. 200 entry fee, winner takes home 1K.

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Both of my local Wisconsin horses are in the hotseat in their divisions. Looking forward to watching them on the TAR stream tonight. Tyler Styer in the 18/under and Sergio Rivas in the 14/under!! Go get em guys!!

Sergio is the "real deal" .... we'll be hearing more about this fine young man for sure!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Its very nice to have Tar stream the juniors for free but, honestly, in the last week or so of watching Tar's PPV in Las Vegas, I did not see any Juniors in the audience watching, despite the fact that admission there was free? I hear a lot of negative comments about Bonus Ball but in reality Bonus Ball is a union of professional players dedicated to perform for a pay check. A concept that has never been tried before and where is the support by the amateur leagues, the billiard supplier industry and the public? You know the answer to that- very little. So is it any wonder then that professional billiards is losing popularity as a spectator sport? You never see it hardly on ESPN anymore, major tournaments are far and few between, fields are dwindling even for the the few that do happen, poolrooms everywhere are going out of business and so on. The problem comes down to the fact that the pool league industry and the professional players are two separate entities, one makes huge amounts of money while the other starves. Unless this separation is bridged through better cooperation and investment, things will only get worse for the American professional billiard player. :grin:

Mark made it free to watch all the pro events this year to get more amateurs interested in the pro side. Anyone in the building could walk up grab a chair and watch as long as they wanted for free. The only thing he charged for was if you wanted a seat on the rail.

The PPV stream was ran into most of the rooms in the Rio for free so anyone staying there could tune in at any time day or night and watch the pros play. This came at real financial cost to Mark. Not charging a gate cost him money. He did both to try and start bridging that gap between league players and pro's.

I just left the pro arena and there was one pro player down there walking around talking to and teaching the kids. The pro events ended yesterday. Anyone want to guess who that guy is?

I think you are 100% correct in pointing out the divide between pro pool and the rest of the pool world in the US. Some people in the industry get it and are working to change things.

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Mark made it free to watch all the pro events this year to get more amateurs interested in the pro side. Anyone in the building could walk up grab a chair and watch as long as they wanted for free. The only thing he charged for was if you wanted a seat on the rail.

The PPV stream was ran into most of the rooms in the Rio for free so anyone staying there could tune in at any time day or night and watch the pros play. This came at real financial cost to Mark. Not charging a gate cost him money. He did both to try and start bridging that gap between league players and pro's.

I just left the pro arena and there was one pro player down there walking around talking to and teaching the kids. The pro events ended yesterday. Anyone want to guess who that guy is?

I think you are 100% correct in pointing out the divide between pro pool and the rest of the pool world in the US. Some people in the industry get it and are working to change things.

That would most likely be SVB?!?!