TAR is not dead.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the readers among us:

Something I just launched is to make available quality prints of the four photos that were by the table in the TAR Studio. Many people over the years expressed interest in buying them or getting copies. Now they are available. The response has been great. I have always thought there may be a niche for quality original photography and artwork for high end home and commercial rooms. I will be exploring that more in the future. Here are the just released prints: http://theactionreport.com/studio-series-paper-edition/

Same goes for matches. I look back at all TAR did and I am happy that there really is no match I wish we would of done that didnt happen. With one exception: I wish I could of gotten a partners game or ring game done in Nasty's name. If I ever do another match that would be the one to motivate me. Outside of that I think the TAR matches are probably done.

One thing I do want to do with TAR going forward is to produce more documentary style content. Its hard to monetize but telling stories of the game and people around it in a documentary style motivates me. I did some of this type thing focused on cuemakers in the past and we did the barebones of the style with player interviews on the podcasts and I want to take that further.

The TAR podcast is something I am proud to have created and in the future you will probably see it revived. My current thinking is much shorter in length with basically me talking about what is going on with TAR and maybe some opinion mixed in. If I decide to get deep into it I may go the whole Skype route and have guests on which I know would be more interesting. The podcast will come back just not sure how yet.

So thats it. TAR is still around and will be around just going in a new direction. TAR was ahead of the industry with PPV man on man matches, the podcast and a few other things. My goal is to keep innovating and creating interesting content for the people who have supported TAR over the years and people who haven't even entered the game yet. Thirty years from now I want some new player to see an interview with Shane or Efren, a photo on a pool room wall, a documentary or instructional that TAR did and get excited about the game. Going forward that is what TAR will be doing.

In conclusion I want to thank everyone who has supported TAR since the beginning. TAR was born on this forum and would have never survived with out the support of the people who make it up. TAR isn't dead. Not even sick.

I really like how this sounds. Documentary style interviews and storytelling will give more perspective to the players and build up great personalities for us to follow.

1. I would like to buy a TAR t-shirt. Please post s new thread when they're available so I can support your endeavors.

2. It's a shame about the streaming, but if the demand comes around, maybe stream some of the big matches??

3. Your interviews with some of the cuemakers were very interesting over the years. I'd like to see more if possible. I don't think the average player gives a hoot, but I'm a nut reading and listening to major cuebuilder's insights.

4. Good luck!

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin, I'd love to see the podcasts back in any form, and I'll say they it will be a lot better if you team up with someone. Find another opinionated Las Vegas player like Cotton or Max Eberle. I'd love to hear Max's ideal pool diet or crazy theories about the moon landing.

mrmagoo42

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are in KC area

We have an older gentleman that has shared some amazing stories of how pool was back in the late 50's thru to 80's. He started in NY and moved to Cali. He is in his 70's with a pretty good memory. Might help connect the dots on road players from back in the day. Saving up for the set of photos you put together.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I was glad to be around for the beginning to the end of the streamed matches. In my opinion, TAR set the standard. To see the level of play the top pros could achieve in those long runs was amazing.

Was glad to hear TAR was still around and I'm sure whatever you do, it will be first class, Justin.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Really happy to hear this. Excited for Perfect Practice 2 and all your other endeavours.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Justin,
From what you wrote in this opening thread as well as the history of TAR, I can say that you are truly an artist.

Good luck with your journey.

JoeyA

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There seems to be some confusion or miscommunication or just normal internet noise about the status of The Action Report. Some of that is probably my fault so I want to clear things up. This gonna be long so for the TL;DR crowd: TAR is still around just doing things differently.

TAR is not dead. I'm not going into details but the short story is Chad Pollman, Mark Griffin and I were partners in TAR. Chad passed away leaving Mark and I. Mark and I have went our separate ways amicably and no longer work together or are business partners. I own the TAR intellectual property and catalog. As long as I am around TAR will be around in one form or another.

Going forward TAR will be focused on more traditional forms of media production. Projects like Darren Appleton's Perfect Practice Series presented by Predator Cues and other similar projects. Working with Andrew Cleary we have plans for more instructional videos with the worlds best players and a different take on them from traditional videos. Check out the trailer for the new Appleton project here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKzO-tEwPw

Another thing I have been working on is getting the TAR catalog available OnDemand for anyone who missed a match or wants to own one. There are currently fourteen titles available on demand for streaming to any device or download to your computer. More are coming soon and the prices average about $1 per hour of content for the old matches. You can see the available titles here: https://vimeo.com/tarondemand/vod_pages

Something I just launched is to make available quality prints of the four photos that were by the table in the TAR Studio. Many people over the years expressed interest in buying them or getting copies. Now they are available. The response has been great. I have always thought there may be a niche for quality original photography and artwork for high end home and commercial rooms. I will be exploring that more in the future. Here are the just released prints: http://theactionreport.com/studio-series-paper-edition/

As for live streaming and matches. I no longer own or have access to the gear to stream at the level TAR was known for so that is one reason you will not be seeing any in the near future from TAR. Honestly though I dont know if I will ever stream again. I feel like I have done everything there is for me to do in that area and it doesnt really excite me anymore.

Same goes for matches. I look back at all TAR did and I am happy that there really is no match I wish we would of done that didnt happen. With one exception: I wish I could of gotten a partners game or ring game done in Nasty's name. If I ever do another match that would be the one to motivate me. Outside of that I think the TAR matches are probably done.

One thing I do want to do with TAR going forward is to produce more documentary style content. Its hard to monetize but telling stories of the game and people around it in a documentary style motivates me. I did some of this type thing focused on cuemakers in the past and we did the barebones of the style with player interviews on the podcasts and I want to take that further.

The TAR podcast is something I am proud to have created and in the future you will probably see it revived. My current thinking is much shorter in length with basically me talking about what is going on with TAR and maybe some opinion mixed in. If I decide to get deep into it I may go the whole Skype route and have guests on which I know would be more interesting. The podcast will come back just not sure how yet.

So thats it. TAR is still around and will be around just going in a new direction. TAR was ahead of the industry with PPV man on man matches, the podcast and a few other things. My goal is to keep innovating and creating interesting content for the people who have supported TAR over the years and people who haven't even entered the game yet. Thirty years from now I want some new player to see an interview with Shane or Efren, a photo on a pool room wall, a documentary or instructional that TAR did and get excited about the game. Going forward that is what TAR will be doing.

In conclusion I want to thank everyone who has supported TAR since the beginning. TAR was born on this forum and would have never survived with out the support of the people who make it up. TAR isn't dead. Not even sick.

Any possibility of get the Chohan vs Owen 1P match on OnDemand? Or was that one of the ones where the HD crashed/corrupted? That was one of the main ones I missed that I had always wanted to see.

Thanks.

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to hear from you Justin!

I thoroughly enjoyed the TAR podcasts and TAR matches it was very entertaining and as a student of the game very informative. I wish to see more. However best of luck in your future plans, and the idea about the documentaries sounds great.

Peace.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was just having one of those geeky historical daydreams of a time long ago...100 years ago to be exact, when men would have to pack up the horse n buggy to traverse across the countryside for miles into town to watch a great billiard matchup that they read about in the newspaper....

Then buy an actual ticket, to cram into an auditorium, in the heat ( or cold) and squint for 4+ hours to see their favorite player win, or maybe lose, and make the same trip back home again, and read about it in the paper tomorrow.

Some matches were important enough that the telegraph ( the world's first email) was used to send updates as it progressed...

Now we just click ...click...type type...watch.
Man, what a mind boggling difference.

<~~Captain obvious always on the case

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This is awesome news. TAR has given me a lot of enjoyment over the last few years, and I'm glad to see it living in one form or another. The on demand matches are fantastic and I encourage everyone to buy one or two. They literally are pool history. Same goes for all of the other content. Pool is mostly an oral history with stories told exaggerated and retold again. With TAR you guys were there for some legendary moments.

Also more documentary style content and podcasts would be excellent. Everybody should go check out Justin's long interview with Ernie at the Ginacue shop. I'm not a cue guy really, but I learned a lot and was really amazed by Ernie. As for the podcasts Justin's opining and truth telling is what made them. Well that and picking the brains of some of the world's best players.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Also, almost forgot. As for new TAR swag...
c43b9a3a54ab3321bda748a0892a5d66.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There seems to be some confusion or miscommunication or just normal internet noise about the status of The Action Report. Some of that is probably my fault so I want to clear things up. This gonna be long so for the TL;DR crowd: TAR is still around just doing things differently.

TAR is not dead. I'm not going into details but the short story is Chad Pollman, Mark Griffin and I were partners in TAR. Chad passed away leaving Mark and I. Mark and I have went our separate ways amicably and no longer work together or are business partners. I own the TAR intellectual property and catalog. As long as I am around TAR will be around in one form or another.

Going forward TAR will be focused on more traditional forms of media production. Projects like Darren Appleton's Perfect Practice Series presented by Predator Cues and other similar projects. Working with Andrew Cleary we have plans for more instructional videos with the worlds best players and a different take on them from traditional videos. Check out the trailer for the new Appleton project here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKzO-tEwPw

Another thing I have been working on is getting the TAR catalog available OnDemand for anyone who missed a match or wants to own one. There are currently fourteen titles available on demand for streaming to any device or download to your computer. More are coming soon and the prices average about $1 per hour of content for the old matches. You can see the available titles here: https://vimeo.com/tarondemand/vod_pages

As for live streaming and matches. I no longer own or have access to the gear to stream at the level TAR was known for so that is one reason you will not be seeing any in the near future from TAR. Honestly though I dont know if I will ever stream again. I feel like I have done everything there is for me to do in that area and it doesnt really excite me anymore.

Justin, I want to congratulate you for making TAR and the TAR matches so relevant in the Pool world for such a long period of time. These were some of the best matches ever produced, between some of the best players of this generation. They will be classics to be enjoyed for generations to come, just like the Accu-Stats matches.

You have done a great service to our sport by memorializing these great players in significant contests of skill and endurance. I think in years to come the TAR library of videos will be increasingly valuable to future Pool fans.