TAR Reyes v SVB DVD Mini-Review

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my copy of the TAR Reyes v SVB Derby City DVD in the mail on Monday and I was finally able to watch it last night...

I truly believe that action matches are the future of pool as concerns media presentation...

There is just something different about watching 2 top players playing for cash in a long race rather than watching a short set tournament match...

A couple of notes about this specific DVD:

I really enjoyed the commentary from Shannon Daulton and Billy Incardona.
And there was even Bonus commentary beginning in game #5 from Beelzebub himself! It seemed like every time the cameras switched view Satan would grab the mike and insert his 2 cents worth.

**People who actually have the DVD will know what I am talking about**

The lighting in that room must be really weird because for about the first 45 minutes or so of the match both players' cues looked like they were zebra stripped and the balls had a bit of a smoke trace on them as they moved.

The play started out exceptional with 3 break and runs and a dry break run in the first four racks. Just what you would want from two great champions.

All in all I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who wasn't able to catch it live or who wants to have a permanent copy. TAR puts out an excellent product and we should be doing everything to support them in our own ways.

And I wouldn't frown at more Beelzebub commentary! My kids and I laughed at that for about 20 minutes.

Jeff Georges

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I ordered mine the minute I saw it posted and can't wait to receive it! Thanks for the review, now I'm even more anxious to watch it. Support the TAR guys!!!!!

sponge bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match.

The editing seemed a little sub par on this one though. Choppy video with the overhead view and the "satan" voice was a put off.

Asgar

s0lidz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha, I was wondering about that audio myself. Wonder if Justin and Chad know its like that.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they say, there were over 50.000 on stake ? 22.500 each player + sidebets or what ?

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sascha said:
they say, there were over 50.000 on stake ? 22.500 each player + sidebets or what ?

That's what I heard...

They didn't really talk too much about the bet on the commentary except to mention that the rail action was extremely high and that the rules/format had changed right before they started.

Apparently they originally were going to race to 21 with the winner needing to win by 2 and then switched to a race to 23 not necessary to win by 2.

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sponge bob said:
Great match.

The editing seemed a little sub par on this one though. Choppy video with the overhead view and the "satan" voice was a put off.

I think this one was rushed out a little bit to get it into people's hands ASAP...

In the past it has taken a while for the DVDs to come out and this one came out right away...

Can't say I blame them one bit for striking while the iron was hot...

There is still a lot of buzz about this match and the Bustamante match and I expect to see that one very soon as well...

sponge bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe TAR can chime in here regarding the poor editing.

If the issues are fixed can you send the early purchasers a new copy?

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I pm'd JCIN after I got mine and got this response:

"It looks like there was an audio issue in the master recording when we switched between camera's. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do to fix it other than edit them out completely.

I apologize for the issues but live recording allows for no re-takes so I am afraid we are stuck with what we have. Thank you for your order and if there is anything we can do just let me know."

I'm fine with it, it doesn't take anything away from a great action match.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Just got mine yesterday. I popped it in the player this morning before work. I have and always will support TAR, but the quality of video so far is not as good as everything else I've received in the past. It's like the video was recorded at a lower resolution or something. Everything's a little 'pixelized'. Hopefully it will clear up, like the OP said. And the audio thing is a little freaky, on that second camera angle.

Anyone reading this that is contemplating purchasing this DVD, rest assured even with the slightly lower video quality, this match is WELL worth the price of admission.