Tascarella cue

Hit Man

<-------GANGSTA'
Silver Member
Tasc w/ebony nose

Damn nice Marcus, I love how the woods flow on that one, veneers look like recuts. Ivory joint puts it over the top!

Raqlph

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I'VE USED THIS CUE WITH MY PLAYING SHAFT, AND IT HAS A NICE SOLID HIT AND FEEL TO IT.

I GUESS IT'S ALL ABOUT HOW IT'S BUILT, AND WHAT EACH PLAYER LIKES. I'VE ALWAYS LIKE THE HIT OF AN EBONY NOSE.

Marcus

Rest assured I'm not saying anything against your or anyone else's cue. I love Tascarella cues, needless to say, and have yet to try one whose hit and feel I don't like, even if I must admit I have a preference for the wood-to-wood or ivory-jointed ones (versus the Bushka-type steel-jointed ones, which in their own category are dynamite cues to play with as well, no doubt about that, I've had the pleasure of trying a number of those, more in fact than e.g. phenolic--jointed ones, which are rare).

What I said about the choice of harder versus softer wood (relatively speaking, after all, maple isn't per se a "soft" wood either) above is no more (and no less) than an impression I've got over the years, especially as an instructor, trying students' cues, but also fellow players'.

One student in particular (now close friend, so I get to see and try his cues with some regularity - I also offer a re-tipping service, so...) had a beautiful cue made with prongs into an ebony nose by a favourite cue maker (famous - prefer to keep anonymous) of ours. He even showed me his design (the drawing he sent in to the cuemaker at the time), and since he'd asked, I would have thought it dishonest not to advise against ordering such a cue. He wouldn't listen, of course, and sure enough, when he got it, ordered another soon thereafter, "without inverted colours" as he calls it, so all the shafts he owns are interchangeable for both butts/cues. The difference is unbelievable! I mean, literally, even I would not have believed the butt material makes so much of a difference for how the same shafts feel. But it does.

Of course this may be all different for cues whose butts are cored, but then, depending on what they're cored with, it can be for better and for worse (some famous cue makers' cored butt cues feel horrible, in my humble opinion, but I'm digressing...).

The bottom line is precisely as you say, it's all a matter of how it's built and what one likes. I'm open to be convinced of the contrary anytime - I'm a naturally curious person, not prejudiced, all I'm saying is I have had exclusively negative experiences thus far (having said that, they're yet worse with non-spliced cues whose butts are made entirely from woods with a specific gravity over roughly 0.80, with the exception of Purpleheart and one exceptional cue whose butt was entirely made of Concalo Alves - curiously enough, the same model in Spanish Mahogany was horrible to play). I have enough of a scientific mind to realize that even after 25 years of playing and trying out cues, that impression I got may be purely coincidental.

Most importantly, the owners of quite a few of (if not most) such cues I tried and found, to be more to the point, unnecessarily difficult to control, are happy and play well with them, in which case I can assure you I'll never say anything negative about their cue (of course I won't lie to the proud owner and pretend I like it - I'll usually just comment on e.g. the cue's nice looks etc.). Note all those cues have a "solid" hit - that's not what I meant at all. What I meant is their butts make their shafts behave erratically, i.e. it's a deflection and thus "feel" problem.

Needless to say, now that you've made me curious, I would love to hit a few balls with your Tascarella, and see what it feels like! :cool:

Thanks so much for sharing all these pictures, by the way, to you and everyone else! Simply love the Tascarella thread! :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
Cored

Thanks Marcus! Very unusual again. Do not remember having seen another Tasc with burl in it - at least not by the old man. You appear to have an enviable collection, congrats!

Leads me to a question not necessarily relevant to a discussion of Tascarella cues: do all burls have to be cored, or are there exceptions?

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Most Ebony and Burls are CORED as they are so heavy. This one is Milled if I remember correctly not spliced as most. As far as Sr. or Jr. they work together and have for many years! Like Gus and Barry. If Pete Sr. retires I doubt you will be able to tell the difference in the cue. Pete Jr is the one that came up with the Stainless Sleeve in the Ivory Joint. George taught Pete Sr. and you can tell in the way a Tascarella plays. Ron

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Most Ebony and Burls are CORED as they are so heavy. This one is Milled if I remember correctly not spliced as most. As far as Sr. or Jr. they work together and have for many years! Like Gus and Barry. If Pete Sr. retires I doubt you will be able to tell the difference in the cue. Pete Jr is the one that came up with the Stainless Sleeve in the Ivory Joint. George taught Pete Sr. and you can tell in the way a Tascarella plays. Ron

Thanks! However, I sense a misunderstanding here: I have nothing against Pete Junior's work, on the contrary, I have heard only good things. All I'm saying is that this cue, judging from its looks and choice of wood, is unlike what the Pete Senior whom I knew many years ago would have made on his own.

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
No problem it is as Marcus said times change and they change with the times! Good that they still have the sharp points traditional style cues on the most part.No Body does a linen wrap like the Tascarellas! Searing, Gus,Barry,Tascarella are my favorite of all the cuemakers out there! I will know more about Tucker soon. Ron

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
100-0017_IMG.jpg

100-0019_IMG.jpg

I LOVE THE WINDOWS AND BARBELLS IN THIS ONE.

Marcus

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
SWEET INDEED! Gotta wonder how many beautys this guy has! Mr Tascarella for sure! Ron

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
HERE'S THE 3 FANCY BARBELL CUES TOGETHER.

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

Marcus

WOW Like icing on a cake, it just doesn`t get much better than this.
Beautiful pics as always Marcus, thanks for sharing. Tried to Rep you but have to spend some around first. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Tascarella at VF this year. He is very easy to talk with.
Jeff

mtdsports

On The Road Again
Silver Member
In full disclosure it isn't my cue, but I've got a wrapless sw showing up brand new that just might be sold to finance the tasc if it's still available... It's a beauty