Teaching Terminology JJ

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Was just watching one of J.J.'s instructional videos.
He uses this word/wording/thought process when cueing off center.

''Keep butt of cue centered''

I've always taught myself to walk up to the cueing, and swing ''straight thru'' my chosen cue ball target.
Exactly the same as a straight in draw shot.

Is this what he's saying when he uses the word ''centered''.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot(most??) of what JJ says is a case of 'feel vs. real'. What he actually does and what he says are often miles apart. Pretty common in golf too.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Was just watching one of J.J.'s instructional videos.
He uses this word/wording/thought process when cueing off center.

''Keep butt of cue centered''

I've always taught myself to walk up to the cueing, and swing ''straight thru'' my chosen cue ball target.
Exactly the same as a straight in draw shot.

Is this what he's saying when he uses the word ''centered''.
I would take it to mean keep the butt plug on the imaginary power line that passes through the cue ball and connect the contact points. Aren't lines defined by points? So keep the center point of the butt plug on the line.

Island Drive

Silver Member
A friend of mine asked me to watch/comment.
JJ has likely used this ''centered'' wording before.
Similar to other sport expressions.

Your body's now square with the shot.
Or' squared up''.
Though the shot.
Varner was the first of our generation that was under wing with Hubert Cokes and both from Indiana. :)
Then, when JJ took a similar route with the Red Raider, it confirmed to me, he was in it for the long haul.
Always enjoyed Red...at 19 yr old/college seeing em playing in the pit at Janscos.... his wife gettin' his cue outta the cold car trunk...... then stroking both pieces in the pit with her fur coat on to watch the action..... warmin up the ivory before play began.

bm

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he is recommending fronthand english to be applied while dropping into the shot (not adjusted into when already down). He's emphasizing the back hand should be "centered" on the original no-spin shooting line and only the front hand is not. His recommendation for that is he believes the deflection kind of takes care of itself. He also feels that the rotational energy transferred into the cueball is stronger in that alignment.

1714348227306.png

There's alternative guidance on this topic and plenty of debate to be had on what approach is most ideal and preferrable to impart onto beginners. But he seems to have taken a specific stance and teaches to it.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
I think he is recommending fronthand english to be applied while dropping into the shot (not adjusted into when already down). He's emphasizing the back hand should be "centered" on the original no-spin shooting line and only the front hand is not. His recommendation for that is he believes the deflection kind of takes care of itself. He also feels that the rotational energy transferred into the cueball is stronger in that alignment.

View attachment 755755

There's alternative guidance on this topic and plenty of debate to be had on what approach is most ideal and preferrable to impart onto beginners. But he seems to have taken a specific stance and teaches to it.
Interesting pics for the mind.
In the mid 90's I started teaching and kept at it.
I remember this ''talk''.

I'm a 100% believer in Parallel....as a baseline.
BH & FH I intermix as needed for shape.
But on high-speed shots, when you combine forcing the angle WITH excessive cue ball squirt I think ''centered'' is not as reliable a way to pocket these types of shots.
Like Shaw/Filler when they Pound whitey 5 or 6 rails and land perfect.

WobblyStroke

JJ's centered butt concept is interesting and worked surprisingly well when I tried it as I hadn't seen this approach before. Basically you aim up center ball, leave the butt where it is and adjust the tip to the contact point you want. Built in deflection adjustment. Can't imagine it will work equally well with all cues tho so a grain of salt is required imo.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JJ's centered butt concept is interesting and worked surprisingly well when I tried it as I hadn't seen this approach before. Basically you aim up center ball, leave the butt where it is and adjust the tip to the contact point you want. Built in deflection adjustment. Can't imagine it will work equally well with all cues tho so a grain of salt is required imo.
This has a more or less standard name. It is called Front Hand English., as shown above. It is known to not work very well for most shots/cues.

WobblyStroke

This has a more or less standard name. It is called Front Hand English., as shown above. It is known to not work very well for most shots/cues.
Thanks. Seems odd. Not a surprise it works poorly in general. Glad my cue was one of the lucky few when I tried it.

jbart65

I got the impression from the video that it wasn't full-fledged "front hand English," but I did find that part of the vid confusing.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 755755

Joe Tucker teaches to use a combination of both FHE and BHE, and to find your preferred combination of the two. It is also what I would teach.

One thing that is not taught well is “how to follow through” without dropping your elbow. The only possible way to do this is to allow the distance between the palm of your cueing hand and the cue handle to change during your forward stroke. Too many players glue their palms to the cue and end up with a piston stroke and pivoting wrist that will never be consistent. If you make a solid ring with your thumb and index finger, let this act as a fulcrum, and then allow the cue to run into the heel of your hand, you’ll be much better off. Then, you can make more accurate assessments about FHE and BHE because your stroke will no longer be swamping those variables.