Tell me about Bryan Atchley

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Mack McCook

Eieio59 said:
Brian was from Lilbourn MO..... I first met him at the Wagon Wheel in Atlanta and saw him often at events all over the south. He was a wonderful player and a great person. Very easy to talk to and be around. He was never selfish with his time or knowledge about the game and many times took quite a while to explain things when I asked. This guy could play tournaments and for the cash.

True story: After seeing him at a couple of small local events and watching him play, I knew he was something special. About 2 weeks later we are at the Wagon Wheel and the matches are getting started and he is up to play. I was looking for some action and started scoping out the stands for someone who might be interested and happened upon this guy who strung me along for a while.... and finally gave me a $50 sweat bet. We sat and talked throughout the match, which Brian won handily. As soon as the match was over, Brian walks over and starts talking to the guy like they know either other. I'm standing there looking all puzzled :confused: about why this guy would bet against Brian if he knew him and the guy turns to me and says, I'd like to introduce you to Brian. Brian begins to tell me about how much he likes this guy and respects him, etc.... then walks away. The guy was Mack McCook from Arkansas and that was the beginning of a great long relationship! I thought I'd reeled in a sucker for a bet and he says he bet me cuz he justed wanted to talk for a while! We were together for a long time and Brian was a great friend during those years until he became sick. Mack and I used to stop in his home town when we would pass through to see him, but at that time he didn't venture out much.

A great guy and he IS missed..... I think of him often.

Tammie Wesley-Jones

Hi Tammie Wesley-Jones, ( Getting away from the Brian Atchely thread for a moment), I would like to speak of my "Dear Friend (Mack McCook)"

Ah man!, was he too a special guy! ( He told me he was from the state of Maryland)...The first time I ever met him, was in Pine Bluff, Arkansas...... I was working at Brown-n-Root there with my brother "Country Calvin" ( Calvin Harcrow ) for a short while during 1980.

Well I was 21 yrs. at the time and had been playng pool for many years, running the roads with my brother and was seasoned quite well (or so I thought), but one day while I was off work, I went to the "Razorback Lounge" their in Pine Bluff, had just gotten paid too, well Mack was there and I wanted to play some (gamble) ........well Ole Mack said , "Rack Um"......we played for about 6 or 8 hours and he took my pay check needless to say.....but it was a war!.........since that time we played many times around Arkansas, sometimes he won, sometimes I did, but we ( he and my brother) ...Ed Kelly, Tracy Mosley.....got to be real close friends!

Tammie, You and I have met a few times but you probally remember my brother the most.......
.......sad day when Mack McCook passed!

David Harcrow

Last edited:

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
brian

jay helfert said:
Brian (correct spelling) was one of the best bar table players of his day, right there with Keith, Buddy, Matlock and Townsend. He quit young due to health issues, and last I heard he is doing just fine and not playing pool. I guess I lost track of his passing. He was way too young, in his 30's. I tried to resurrect him.
BUMP BUMP say him play in atlanta at the wagon wheel in the 80, and your right he was with all at the top at that time david howard buddy hall and the few you talked about, at the wheel somthing to watch, watched doughboy grow up and watched him play at the wheel , as a young lad of 12-13 run over some of those guys. those were the days!!!:confused: :confused:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran across Brian in Austin when I was on the road with Billy Dan Rogers.
One pocket was not his best game but he gave it a try. We then switched
to 9 ball, which was a bad move on our part. He was a true gentleman
gambler. Just learned of is passing on this thread....RIP Brian.

Dick

Last edited:

Chuck Raulston

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian Atchley

Brian Atchley did not pass away. He still lives in Poplar Bluff, MO. He does not play pool anymore and hasn't for around 15 years. I have been trying to get him to come down to my pool room for the last six months or so to hit some balls but he doesn't seem to want to play. He did say he would stop by sometime. I have never seen him play, but from what I understand, he was a great player.

Chuck Raulston

BPG24

Banned
Chuck Raulston said:
Brian Atchley did not pass away. He still lives in Poplar Bluff, MO. He does not play pool anymore and hasn't for around 15 years. I have been trying to get him to come down to my pool room for the last six months or so to hit some balls but he doesn't seem to want to play. He did say he would stop by sometime. I have never seen him play, but from what I understand, he was a great player.

Chuck Raulston

Hey Chuck,

I heard you had a room of your own. Is it in Poplar Bluff?

I may have to swing by there next time I am in NE Arkansas.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Chuck Raulston said:

Chuck Raulston

I didn't think Brian had died, but you can hear anything!
Glad to know he's still with us!

David Harcrow