The AZ Room @ The Derby City Classic

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
We can get a private room with a 4½ X 9 in the main hall across from where they sell sticks 'n stuff. This would be a great place for AZers to meet & greet and relax while waiting to play Efren in the finals.
The cost for this room is $1,000 - SO
Anyone interested, Please respond to this post.
The cost will be devided between those who respond.
After the responses are in - we can tell you where to send the money. It will probably be either Williebetmore or Greg Diamond.

If not enough respond, we can share the room with OnePocket.org members as well.

Either way, I'm sure there will be many pros & celebs stopping by to say hello.

TY & GL

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
Is this price for the room for the entire tourney? With the table? If so, that sounds like a great idea/offer. I'm only going to be down there for 3 days, but I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
We can get a private room with a 4½ X 9 in the main hall across from where they sell sticks 'n stuff. This would be a great place for AZers to meet & greet and relax while waiting to play Efren in the finals.
After the responses are in - we can tell you where to send the money. It will probably be either Williebetmore or Greg Diamond.

If not enough respond, we can share the room with OnePocket.org members as well.

TY & GL

Sent a PM I would be interested.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I'll kick in a few bucks. We need the people that are planning on going to post on this thread. If you are reading this thread and are going--pony up a little. If you are only going to be there for 3 days like myself donate accordingly. If 20 or so people kick in a little then we could have the amount covered fairly easily. PM me with info on how to help.

Daniel

Last edited:

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys I'm intending to be at the Derby for a while...it really depends on how much pool I'd be able to stomach! Regardless, I'd chip in for a room to meet more AZers...just so long as its not terribly expensive to do so.

ray

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
OHB,
Just to reiterate. I'll kick in $100 if we get enough commitments for the other $900.

If we do get a room, and if there is interest; I will work on getting a couple of celebrities to commit to a time for a private AZB clinic or challenge. I have in mind a 1 hour one-pocket clinic with a HOF'er, or one hour of challenges against a famous player (for cash in the true spirit of DCC, cheap or expensive); I'll cover any additional costs for the appearances.

Perhaps one of the pro's from the "Pro's Forum" would also be interested in an appearance.

To make any of this happen in time for DCC we probably need to come up with the commitments before Christmas or New Years. We'll see.

billychips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to be there and will probably be staying with Chris Bartram and Danny Basavish. I can get Danny to make an appearance for an appearance. But he is expensive, maybe 3 or 4 drinks for an hour worht of time. Let me know.. he owes me one!

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
I think this last line might be scaring people off. It sounds like if only five people respond, then they will each have to cough up $200.

I will go $50, but that's about all I could afford really. 20 members at $50 each would be enough.

I think there could be ways of letting the table earn its keep. We could have nightly mini's, we could have ring games (Grady style) and keep small green fees. We could charge admission to non AZ members for exhibitions, or have challenge the pro for $5, stuff like that.

If the by chance the table turns a profit, we could hold an AZ $$$ added mini at the end of the week.

Tracy

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't post much, mostly a lurker, but I will be at DCC for 3 days, I am good for $50.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
TY & GL

I'll be there for the last 4-days. Count me in for $50.00, or $100.00 if needed.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Sheet. If I could be there, I would easily fork out $100 for the opportunity to play with an Old Has Been.;)

ghost

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Im in.

Who can organize this? It would be nice to have or own little area.

Mack

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:

TY & GL

Tom,

I'll be coming in late on the 10th. I'll chip in.

All I ask in return is an hours worth of one pocket lessons :)

Mike

Last edited:

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Tracy - All your ideas sound great.

RSB-Refugee said:
I think this last line might be scaring people off. It sounds like if only five people respond, then they will each have to cough up $200.

I will go $50, but that's about all I could afford really. 20 members at $50 each would be enough.

I think there could be ways of letting the table earn its keep. We could have nightly mini's, we could have ring games (Grady style) and keep small green fees. We could charge admission to non AZ members for exhibitions, or have challenge the pro for $5, stuff like that.

If the by chance the table turns a profit, we could hold an AZ $$$ added mini at the end of the week.

Tracy

Tracy - Good ideas, ALL
Right now we (Williebetmore & I) are just trying to get feedback from members who may contribute.
I think it is looking pretty good so far.
I HONESTLY THINK THAT IF - "EVERYONE WHO WILL WANT TO USE THIS ROOM" - WERE TO SIGN UP IN THIS POST - IT COULD BE AS LITTLE AS $25 PER.
I guess we will contact (via PM's) the people who pledge to contribute when it reaches enough. Or maybe have some left over for refreshments or whatever.
I also like the idea of special AZ badge username tags.
I know Buddy won't mind spending some time in the room. Him & I (old & large) are always looking for someplace to sit & relax.

TY & GL

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
We dun need no steenking baches! That really does sound like a good idea, I just wanted to say that. ;) I think maybe a wristband and a secret handshake would suffice. I am excited about the upcoming DCC.

Tracy

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:

Tracy

Tracy,
Man, those are good ideas. I sort of like the idea of players paying table time. I have this nightmare of people kicking in for a table, then NEVER getting to play on it because someone is monopolizing play. Even at $5 and hour for the table, over 8 days it almost pays for itself if it is kept busy. Maybe we could get donators to front the $1000, then return any portion not used; or as you say have some sort of contest (a "mini" on 1 table is a little difficult, but not impossible at DCC if the numbers are small). Who would collect the table time?????

I VERY MUCH like the idea of getting pro's to play cheap challenges (or expensive if that is someone's taste). Perhaps the members that know pro's (or are pro's) could wangle a 1 hour block of time - we post it on a board inside the room ahead of time - then everyone could challenge the pro for $5, $10, or $20 (the pro's may want at least a $20 game). Friends should probably offer to back their pro for any overall losses (just in case, remember 9-ball is a stupid game). Would these challenges, if pre-arranged, have preference over ongoing action on the table? I, for one, would be mortified if I got a top pro to commit to a time, and then couldn't get them on the table.

Is anyone interested in getting a couple of pro's to shoot it out on our table (like a private gunfight) - or are we mainly thinking about us playing on it. I know I am much more interested in spectating than playing (well except for WallyinCincy), but I have no idea what others think.

What do people think about these ideas?

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
Tracy - Good ideas, ALL
Right now we (Williebetmore & I) are just trying to get feedback from members who may contribute.
I HONESTLY THINK THAT IF - "EVERYONE WHO WILL WANT TO USE THIS ROOM" - WERE TO SIGN UP IN THIS POST - IT COULD BE AS LITTLE AS $25 PER.
I guess we will contact (via PM's) the people who pledge to contribute when it reaches enough. Or maybe have some left over for refreshments or whatever.
I know Buddy won't mind spending some time in the room. Him & I (old & large) are always looking for someplace to sit & relax.

TY & GL

For the 3 days I'm going to be there I would be more than willing to contribute $20 or $25 bucks to make use of the room and meet some AZer's.Let me know if it is a go and how to send the money.

Bora

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I personally think we should keep this thread bumped for a week or so and in that amount of time anyone who frequents this site and fancies a donation will have ample opportunity to contribute. After a few days it is put up time. Given the response thus far it does not seem unreasonable that this will come to fruition. I think having an area established as a gathering spot just to shoot the sh*t would be worth a small investment. In all probability my contribution here will be one of my smaller expenses for the weekend ( I have a propensity to gamble ). This will give everyone an opportunity to put not only a face but a personality with a screen-name. Looking forward to a fun road trip.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
Tracy - Good ideas, ALL

TY & GL
Good idea, I'm in. Lewis
I have another idea to go with it as well. Let me check something out 1st.