The Best 10 -1 Pocket Players in the World ???

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's All Time, don't forget Jersey Red and Ronnie Allen.
I spent many years watching Ronnie in his prime.
I do not think he'd have a prayer against Alex or Tony.
These modern players have taken Ronnie's game to another level.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all I am not an expert or knowledgeable in any serious manner on 1-pocket.

So with that said, no one one thinks Shane should be included? Winning the DCC twice in 1-pocket. Too long ago? Just curios as to why he is not even mentioned here.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all I am not an expert or knowledgeable in any serious manner on 1-pocket.

So with that said, no one one thinks Shane should be included? Winning the DCC twice in 1-pocket. Too long ago? Just curios as to why he is not even mentioned here.

He has been mentioned.
See page #1

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some top-3 finishes by Shane Van Boening in 1-Pocket events:

1st -- US Open
2nd -- West Coast Challenge

1st -- Accu-Stats Make It Happen Invitational
2nd -- Scotty Townsend Memorial
3rd -- West Coast Challenge

2nd -- Accu-Stats MIH

3rd -- Accu-Stats MIH
3rd -- Chuck Markulis Memorial

2nd -- US Open

1st -- Accu-Stats MIH
3rd -- DCC

1st -- DCC
1st -- US Open

1st -- DCC

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my personal list of onepocket players today:

1 Alex
2 Dennis
3 Shane
4 Busty

These top 4 are a step above the below

5 Tony
6 Bergman
7 Daulton
8 Efren
9 Thorpe
10 Corey

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would include Shane on any top ten list of One Pocket players. Even though he is not currently playing in many of these small field events, there are only a handful of guys who will gamble with him even, including some on the lists published here. I'd put Shane somewhere in the middle of the pack and he's tough action for the three or four players ranked above him.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's All Time, don't forget Jersey Red and Ronnie Allen.

No doubt they were great in their day but I am not so sure these guys could keep up with the modern ball strikers.

It's a whole new ball game now.

Lou Figueroa

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I would put Frost over Bustamante and Alex over Dennis. :smile:

I wouldn't. Bustamante just drilled Orcullo 4-0 in some One Pocket event or another, and I was up 5-0, 6-0 on Frost in our match at DCC in January. Of course, I dogged it from there, but absolutely no chance I get up on Bustamante like that.

Bustamante's fundamentals are better, and he doesn't get as nervy as Frost.

That being said, due to age, of course Scott would be the favorite over Busty in a longer match, but I think Busty has a much better tourney centric One Pocket game.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would include Shane on any top ten list of One Pocket players. Even though he is not currently playing in many of these small field events, there are only a handful of guys who will gamble with him even, including some on the lists published here. I'd put Shane somewhere in the middle of the pack and he's tough action for the three or four players ranked above him.

But it that coz hes that good, or coz he is real tuff action?

A lot of players would prefer to give a scrub 13-7, than to tackle a tiger.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't. Bustamante just drilled Orcullo 4-0 in some One Pocket event or another, and I was up 5-0, 6-0 on Frost in our match at DCC in January. Of course, I dogged it from there, but absolutely no chance I get up on Bustamante like that.

That being said, due to age, of course Scott would be the favorite over Busty in a longer match, but I think Busty has a much better tourney centric One Pocket game.

Having played both, albeit in short races, I would have to give the nod to Busty.

Playing Scott, I got all kinds of chances but couldn’t cash in. Playing Bustamonte, it was like he grabbed my air hose right from the getgo and I never got an angle much less a shot.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my personal list of onepocket players today:

1 Alex
2 Dennis
3 Shane
4 Busty

These top 4 are a step above the below

5 Tony
6 Bergman
7 Daulton
8 Efren
9 Thorpe
10 Corey

I guess you didn’t watch Tony beat Shane twice at 5 grand a pop.
Tony for sure should be 3.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he's been seen hittin' a few recently but its still gonna be a while for him to get back. I message him on FB and he says he's felling a lot better each day. I think he may have even played in his benefit tourn. in Huntsville.

I had a conversation with cliff in Huntsville. He was obviously not himself.

He's getting better but longterm improvement hard work. Several in my family have suffered the same and it takes a long time to recover. Sometimes, unfortunately everyone doesn't recover 100%.

I'm sure cliff is just tough and stubborn enough to get back 100%.

My best to cliff if he reads this.

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree.

If Shane spent as much time with 1hole as the top 3 does I believe he would be in the top 3, if not in top 2.

I doubt he will ever devote even half the time that Dennis and Alex puts into 1hole. I wish he would. Im curious if he could dominate the field the way he does in 10 ball.

Rake

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah don't forget Django is the current DCC 2018 One Pocket Reigning Champ too.

Attachments

• Website-Banner-33.png
    Website-Banner-33.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

shoxy

Registered
1. Alex the Lion Pagulayan
2. Dennis Orcollo
3. TRex Chohan
4. Bustamante
5. SVB