The Best Ever List of Pool Nicknames

MissQ8

He hung out at Executive Billiards in White Plains NY in the mid/late 90's?- In fact he slept in the Basement. i Gave him a ten 6 times iirc- He disappeared one day and next thing you know, the owner of EB's runs into him in VA where Dog had just won 17K. He calls me to tell me and i said well get my 60 from him and dont you know WD gave it to him and i got it a week later.

WD came back for a second residency at EB and he got free tens from me from then on out. He then went to Gil Hodges' place in Danbury and then to NYC hanging at Chelsea and sleeping in doorways. One day while in the doorway he sees a guy come out of a bank with an envelope-Wearing a suit he went to put the envelope in his inside pocket but he missed and it dropped to the ground. The envelope had 3K in it which funded WD's final trip to Chicago, hanging at Chris's Billiards and sleeping in an abandoned car. It was probably the owner of Chris's that got him in a nursing home where he died peacefully shortly thereafter. All in all he was probably in Chicago 3-4 years.
Makes me feel better to know he didn't pass away alone and sleeping outside.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite local nicknames from the DC area, 1967-74. I could name dozens more, but some were too well known (Strawberry, Geese, Jackie Robinson, Weenie Beanie, etc.) or too generic (Fats, Fat Joe, Little Petey, etc.) to show up below.

Booty Green (Always showed up in his Army uniform)
Half Man (No, it didn't mean he had only one nut. He was just very short.)
Shakey / Crip (Kind of self-explanatory)
Goober
Lunch Money
(Famous for always losing it)
Peaches (AKA Dr. Hemingway, everyone's favorite bookie)
Maalox (Always used to swig bottles of it to soothe his nervous stomach)
Jeeter
Captain Slick
Robbin’ John
(A notable locksmith)
Six Pack (of Gonorrhea) ("Shut up, man. You run on like a six pack of gonorrhea.")
Cris (short for Crisco, a foxy lady who thought she had a lard butt. She gave herself the nickname.)

Plus two random others:

The Riverboat Nitshit (Norfolk area - worked on a riverboat but never bet high)
The Garbageman (Berkeley, CA) (Always seen outside Kip's pool room carrying a big can of garbage)

"Shakes" from the late 60's in Chelsea/Boston area. I don't think I ever knew his real name but he made his way around the rooms and hustled 'Pocket-A-Piece' as we called One Pocket at the time. He was an older guy, probably younger than I am now!, but when he bridged on the rail the cue would just bounce and bounce, drive you crazy. When it came time for his stroke it was smooth and deadly accurate.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite local nicknames from the DC area, 1967-74. I could name dozens more, but some were too well known (Strawberry, Geese, Jackie Robinson, Weenie Beanie, etc.) or too generic (Fats, Fat Joe, Little Petey, etc.) to show up below.

Booty Green (Always showed up in his Army uniform)
Half Man (No, it didn't mean he had only one nut. He was just very short.)
Shakey / Crip (Kind of self-explanatory)
Goober
Lunch Money
(Famous for always losing it)
Peaches (AKA Dr. Hemingway, everyone's favorite bookie)
Maalox (Always used to swig bottles of it to soothe his nervous stomach)
Jeeter
Captain Slick
Robbin’ John
(A notable locksmith)
Six Pack (of Gonorrhea) ("Shut up, man. You run on like a six pack of gonorrhea.")
Cris (short for Crisco, a foxy lady who thought she had a lard butt. She gave herself the nickname.)

Plus two random others:

The Riverboat Nitshit (Norfolk area - worked on a riverboat but never bet high)
The Garbageman (Berkeley, CA) (Always seen outside Kip's pool room carrying a big can of garbage)
I dont know why but it is Weenie Beenie (with an 'e')

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
What was Alley Oop's real name. He was in WI sometimes.

Al O'Rear (spelling)?

hung around Chi in the 60's into the 70's, livid in Memphis from the 80's into the late 90's prior to moving to Little Rock

married a college professor and settled in Ar

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
What is the name of your book?
AND,,,, was there ever any print on the 7/10/90 Coors Natl tourney in Vegas?
I was working on a pool scrapbook, and could not find anything on that. I played so much I don't remember a ton of stuff, like who I lost to even. Was trying to save my daughter dealing with hundreds of pool mags, and so clipping out my stuff to scrapbook. Just had nothing on what was one of the biggest pay outs for bar table pool.
I even wrote to Coors and they said they got nothing saved about that. weird.
Pool Wars, there are 2 of them. Required reading by a legend.

Flakeandrun

"Shakes" from the late 60's in Chelsea/Boston area. I don't think I ever knew his real name but he made his way around the rooms and hustled 'Pocket-A-Piece' as we called One Pocket at the time. He was an older guy, probably younger than I am now!, but when he bridged on the rail the cue would just bounce and bounce, drive you crazy. When it came time for his stroke it was smooth and deadly accurate.
I used to play snooker in my local 'C' team, with a guy called 'trembles' - bloody fantastic player, looked like he belonged in a geriatric ward... a real dinosaur to me as a 15 year old. Terribly annoying to play against, as he'd let you get in the game, then tear you apart. Has passed now sadly, but was someone who my father respected greatly, and who taught him a lot about the game.

I think Americans need to learn a thing or two from Australians about nicknames, cause reading through these, some of them are hardly 'best ever'

this thread is great coffee break material though :)