the First step

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You didn't say how old you were, but your first step to becoming a professional pool player should have been right after you took your first step. Pros start young.
To be a pro you must live in a pool room, and I almost mean that literally, and you cannot become a pro by buying lessons, I don't care how good the instructor is.
If, after all that, your were talented enough, and fortunate enough, to break into the level we call professional, you would still need to learn how to live out of the back of an '83 Plymouth station wagon.

joe76195

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go to a pool room with 9 ft. tables and compete. Tourneys or gambling. You will improve or change your mind.

Banks

Banned
You want to play pool and make money?

Here's what you do..

Learn how to match up.

TA-DAH!

tada.jpg

blackcat13

Registered
Im no beginner lol. i can hold my own in a match. That book is for all ages it explanes fundamentals it has drill shots and stuff like that. How to get ready for a match

blackcat13

Registered
i was playing pool when i was very young but i never got it to that next level. I have good cueball control. If i miss a shot it usually because of something dumb or i left the cue ball in a bad spot. but most of the time i have good cue ball control. My problem is maping out the table. I know all about sandbaggers i was in the APA LOL.

I can do like a 7 ball run in a 8 ball game. i almost had a break and run but i missed the 8 ball..
thank you for all the suggestions

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tramp...While I agree with you in principal, at this guys level, it is certainly an advisable first step to answer his question. 99.9% of amateur pool players think they play better than they actually do. That said, look how well Landon Shuffett plays. That speaks volumes to how much quality instruction he's had (mostly from his dad)...as well as strong competition, and strong will.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

you cannot become a pro by buying lessons, I don't care how good the instructor is.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im no beginner lol. i can hold my own in a match. That book is for all ages it explanes fundamentals it has drill shots and stuff like that. How to get ready for a match

Really, how well do you play Straight Pool, 9 ball?? How well do the people play that you compete against? Straight up or handicapped league play? How long have you been playing?
I've seen the book and, though I love Jeanette, I wouldn't recommend it, there are better books, 99 Critical Shots by Ray Martin is one. In 1973 when I took up the game seriously, {I started in 1961} I met a guy who was a world class Straight Pool player. Jay Helfert knows him, he met him through a mutual friend. This guy really took to the game, ran 80 balls his second year playing, so I was told. After college all he did for 10 years was play pool, literally, nothing else. Tournament pay outs were not lucrative at that time, {are they ever?} so he took to the road. Developed a drinking/drug problem, lost two marriages later on, lived the road player's life.
You really, really, want to think about if you want to be a pro player, or, as someone already said, just play like one. It takes a huge, huge commitment to the game and I don't think you understand from the experience you've already had how big a deal it is.
I wish you luck but it's a tough, tough nut.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta question for ya blackcat12...take your book out to the table...open it and ask it a question relevant to YOUR play. Let us know what the book says back to you! LOL While some books and videos have great information, they cannot answer questions, or evaluate observations. That's where an instructor comes in.

Scott Lee ~ has his own instructional videos too

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was playing pool when i was very young but i never got it to that next level. I have good cueball control. If i miss a shot it usually because of something dumb or i left the cue ball in a bad spot. but most of the time i have good cue ball control. My problem is maping out the table. I know all about sandbaggers i was in the APA LOL.

I can do like a 7 ball run in a 8 ball game. i almost had a break and run but i missed the 8 ball..

You ALMOST had a break and run ONCE in the time you were playing? From when you started playing up to now? If so, you are not ready to start training to be a Pro, you can start training to be a B player though, and then see where it goes from there.

Running out your side in 8 ball is OK, if you do it half the time or more, on 9 foot tables with 4.5 inch pockets. You can't do it once and then say that you can do it, and also need to compare the equipment, a 7' big pocket table will make a lot of players look a lot better than they are. Do you play on 9 footers? Are they under 5" pockets?

Lessons will help you reach the next level, but "next level" is relative. You are not going from your current skill to a pro as the next level, but to a B player, which is very high for most players, but is only so-so among the real pool players. A B player to a D or a beginner will seem like a pro level player.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sage Advice,lol.

Gotta question for ya blackcat12...take your book out to the table...open it and ask it a question relevant to YOUR play. Let us know what the book says back to you! LOL While some books and videos have great information, they cannot answer questions, or evaluate observations. That's where an instructor comes in.

Scott Lee ~ has his own instructional videos too
I used to do that Scott! I would Imagine Ray Martin,Robert Byrne,George Fels, and Steve Mizerak were all answering my questions. Then when I realized I had a mental problem, I decided it was best to video tape myself talking to myself, and my game soared,...out the window and into a hole!!

Blackcat12, take Scott's advice. Get a good Instructor,one like him. He will most assuredly help elevate your play.

cajunfats

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Tramp...While I agree with you in principal, at this guys level, it is certainly an advisable first step to answer his question. 99.9% of amateur pool players think they play better than they actually do. That said, look how well Landon Shuffett plays. That speaks volumes to how much quality instruction he's had (mostly from his dad)...as well as strong competition, and strong will.
Scott Lee

I agree, in principal, but wouldn't you say that although Stan has instructed Landon, he has, in the main, been more of a coach? Doubtless, all of us could benefit from a watchful eye. In addition, you must agree that the Shuffetts are a rare exception. :)

blackcat13

Registered
i have a question about the 10 ball drill. Can the balls be pocketed in any order as long as you hit the lower number first and does ball pocket on the break count and is the 10 ball worth more points
thank you

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
i just did a 10 ball drill. I sucked with my cue ball control. i had clutters off the break. my score was a lousy 22 and 16. i shouldnt been mentioning of going pro anymore lol.

Don't get discouraged. Just think about improving and not so much "going pro". The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have much to learn young grasshopper. Set your sights on a more attainable short term goal and just get to the next level.

If you play even a decent player and run all the way down to the 8 ball and miss you will more than likely lose that rack 9 times out of 10.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... you should take Dr. Dave's Billiard University exams. They give you a pretty good gauge of where some of your strengths and weaknesses are, and the test "questions" double as good drills to do.
I been doing alot of cutshot drills and when i play by myself. im gonna play straight pool., then rotation and 9 ball then 8 ball then do some drills then do the same thing. i been studying Jeanettes lees book a guide to killers pool.. Where is this exam at.
Here is a link to the Billiard University drills and exams.
If you try the BU playing ability and rating exams, please post your score (and videos if available) on the BU thread, as others have done, so we can see how well you do now and how much you can improve over time with dedicated and purposeful practice.

Good luck,
Dave