The GREAT Break Shot Book

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This book has been around since 2005, It is a great READ & very instructional. A lot can be learned from this book.

Billiards DIGEST May 2006

Do you have the patience to practice breaking without ever pocketing any balls immediately afterward over and over again? Queens’ brilliant Gene Nagy could break and re-rack, break and re-rack, break and re-rack for hours on end, for instance. But he was a man of many quirks and that kind of persistence and discipline is not easily come by. Still, the break, like the serve in tennis and the start in horseracing is virtually indispensable in the advanced playing of pool. When two players, of otherwise equal ability, get it on in 8-ball or 9-ball, the better breaker will most likely win a match of any length. So if you’re not satisfied with your break stroke, and you don’t have Nagy’s remarkable level of patience, how are you going to improve?

A very good start would be to take in Charley Bond’s new book, ‘The Great Break Shot,” Writing a book on a single stroke would seem a peculiar endeavor, on its surface, but that’s not what Mr. Bond has done. Instead, he’s written an excellent overall instructional piece, centered around the break shot . . .and he’s talking about the break shot, for every last major form of pool, including 14,1 and One-Pocket (and even that bloody 7-ball as well as the separating of clusters, as part of running balls. He also shares space with teacher/player Joe Tucker, whose contributions include a fascinating (if not distressing) chapter on how players cheat in racking.

We can forgive Mr. Bond’s shameless plug for his invention, the BreakRAK, because it’s the ideal training tool for practicing the power break. It’s roughly the size and weight of nine racked balls. While you obviously don’t get to see your results in pocketed object-ball form, you still get a realistic cue-ball reaction to your stroke, and you also develop muscle memory for stroking the break shot. It's been around for almost 20 years & still selling good. It has produced a lot of champions...

Once you’ve gotten past your likely misconception that the break, in and of itself, is not fit subject matter for a book. The Great Break Shot” is very likely to make you a better player. It’s expertly organized and incredibly thorough. And no, there is no truth to the rumor that a book on cue-chalking is on the way.

George Fels... Columnist

You can get this book on Ebay

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I watched Dennis Orcollo break and rerack 10-ball racks for an hour or so a couple of weeks back. About one in 10 he would effortlessly run out, then resume breaking.

I don’t have that kind of patience. The break is also probably less important to us bangers, since we’re just not a threat to run a rack all that often regardless of the break...

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Neither do I & I soon learned that I wasn't learning anything. So I designed the BreakRAK... that was almost 20 years ago. Today I ship it Globally & have made thousands of friends...