The real reason men are better at pool than women

The average balls made on the break, mostly because of strength, is higher with men than woman.

Sure there are women that break hard, but if they average 1 ball less or not making a ball on break its enough to change the game.

Period.

Imagine top players SVB, etc. getting a ball spot.

Ken

I do not think that strength has anything to do with having a strong break. Yeah, you need some strength, but I do not see any reason why the girls can't break just as hard as the guys. I do not get it. I was always a very skinny little weakling, and I always felt like I had a pretty strong break.

Your bodybuilder argument doesn’t account for diminishing returns and/or terminal speeds.

Dr, Dave would be the one to comment on this, but I’d imagine either A) there is an optimal speed range and once you go over it, it matters much less or B) once you get to a certain speed the cue or object balls would be flying off the table or C) regardless of size a human can only accelerate the standard cue to a max speed that doesn’t require bodybuilding strength.

Whether or not women can generate that speed is another debate.

Yeah, it takes the right amount of speed, power, and cue ball control I think, to get a good break. That SVB just amazes me with his breaks. Such power, and such great control with the cue ball.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
God made men and women different

this shows up in so many areas that it is surprising
that anyone could fail to see it

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of this is all conjecture. I prefer to deal in reality. Like let's say Reality 2017. No question there are far more good men pool players then women today. It's not even close. And the best men players are probably a little better than the best women players. That may be a little closer. But the best women players may be better than all but the best men players. That might be even closer yet. Now we're getting somewhere. :rolleyes:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I do know is that none of the boys want to get beat by the girl. That one girl that seems to be able to beat the boys from time to time is Karen Corr. In fact, when the Joss Tour consisted of mostly males, Karen was one of the only females to compete with the boys.

I remember Frankie Hernandez asked Karen one time why she played on the Joss Tour when it was mostly men. After all, the WPBA was around for the lady pros. Karen replied, without missing a beat, that she enjoyed competing with the male pros because it kept her in stroke.

At the 2004 Joss Tour Season Finale in Portland, Maine, Earl Strickland and Karen Corr were due to play a match against each other. Earl is no stranger when it comes to voicing his opinion about competing with the ladies. He doesn't like it one bit. Ask him sometime. :D

Knowing Earl's disdain for playing against women, Keith was practicing on a table alongside Earl before Earl's match with Karen. Keith decided to taunt Earl about playhing "the girl." Earl laughed it off, but believe me, he was sweating bullets. He knew Karen had firepower. Karen just sat stoically on her perch waiting for the match to start, showing no emotion.

Keith was loving it. Earl was sweating it. And Karen had no fear whatsoever! :eek:

Attachments

• crew.jpg
    crew.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 275

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not lost on me that we are likely under-qualified to address this topic and over-thinking it. At best we might be coming close to only some of the reasons and at worst we are being ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing I do know is that none of the boys want to get beat by the girl. That one girl that seems to be able to beat the boys from time to time is Karen Corr. In fact, when the Joss Tour consisted of mostly males, Karen was one of the only females to compete with the boys.

I remember Frankie Hernandez asked Karen one time why she played on the Joss Tour when it was mostly men. After all, the WPBA was around for the lady pros. Karen replied, without missing a beat, that she enjoyed competing with the male pros because it kept her in stroke.

At the 2004 Joss Tour Season Finale in Portland, Maine, Earl Strickland and Karen Corr were due to play a match against each other. Earl is no stranger when it comes to voicing his opinion about competing with the ladies. He doesn't like it one bit. Ask him sometime. :D

Knowing Earl's disdain for playing against women, Keith was practicing on a table alongside Earl before Earl's match with Karen. Keith decided to taunt Earl about playhing "the girl." Earl laughed it off, but believe me, he was sweating bullets. He knew Karen had firepower. Karen just sat stoically on her perch waiting for the match to start, showing no emotion.

Keith was loving it. Earl was sweating it. And Karen had no fear whatsoever! :eek:

Earl is jealous of the world. Karen is so cool she's frozen.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
We've all seen the theories but nobody has gotten to the bottom of it. Until now :dance:

The fact that you believe this shows how oblivious and arrogant you are.

Over twenty years of discussion this subject have brought about many great reasons, both social and physical. But, I'm sure in the mirror, you're the only person with any insight. Congratulations.

Freddie <~~~ just wait until next month

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s not lost on me that we are likely under-qualified to address this topic and over-thinking it. At best we might be coming close to only some of the reasons and at worst we are being ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent post.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've all seen the theories but nobody has gotten to the bottom of it. Until now
The fact that you believe this shows how oblivious and arrogant you are.

Lol man if I got a game on the wire every time a keyboard warrior personally attacked me I'd be champion.

1. Physical has little to do with anything. Because chess ( elite male grandmaster chess players destroy elite women it's not even close )
2. My theory is right because majority of top female players are gay.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Girls opinion?

I would really like to hear from some of the professional women players on this topic, but I doubt we will.

It's not like they are not aware of it, but women choose to keep separate. If that was not true they would be involved in more male dominated tournaments and they would protest men not being allowed to play in women only pool tournaments.

But, for true gender equality to exist then ones gender should never be a consideration in any thing. There would be no women's only any thing.

In this day and age with all the gender related bull crap issues we have, some still "cherry pick" when and how to advance their personal cause and our society allows it, at the same time this same liberal society cries for equal treatment for every one. A big bunch of bull crap.

I have spent the last 67 years celebrating being a male and thanking God for making females different from me. What a boring and disgusting world we would have with out beautiful females.

May we forever be different.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned the hard way many years ago to never sell a woman short in any man vs. woman contest. I was a strong B+ racquetball player and got matched up against an A woman in the quarterfinals of a tournament. Should have been easy for me, right? But I'm thinking I don't want to come off as a bully, so I'll sandbag a little and try to just beat her at the end. Problem was she had nothing to lose and she gave all she had and then some, and actually pulled a little ahead with 4-5 points left to play. The crowd was cheering for her and I actually had to get pretty tough to pull it out. I saw it as her being win-win and me being lose-lose.

The moral: you just never know what might happen in such a matchup so aways take it seriously.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol man if I got a game on the wire every time a keyboard warrior personally attacked me I'd be champion.

1. Physical has little to do with anything. Because chess ( elite male grandmaster chess players destroy elite women it's not even close )
2. My theory is right because majority of top female players are gay.

Keyboard warrior? Everyone knows me here. You're the rookie.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I would really like to hear from some of the professional women players on this topic, but I doubt we will.

It's not like they are not aware of it, but women choose to keep separate. If that was not true they would be involved in more male dominated tournaments and they would protest men not being allowed to play in women only pool tournaments.

But, for true gender equality to exist then ones gender should never be a consideration in any thing. There would be no women's only any thing.

In this day and age with all the gender related bull crap issues we have, some still "cherry pick" when and how to advance their personal cause and our society allows it, at the same time this same liberal society cries for equal treatment for every one. A big bunch of bull crap.

I have spent the last 67 years celebrating being a male and thanking God for making females different from me. What a boring and disgusting world we would have with out beautiful females.

Well, not since Jean Balukas was playing against the top men, has there been another female player doing the same .
I believe she beat The Miz, Buddy Hall and Keith in the same tournament.

When Allison Fisher was really good, she got the 7-ball from Choo Choo Coltrain. She did not do all too well. Choo Choo had a beautiful stroke and played pretty sporty.
He was a top 20 player then, maybe.
And Allison was the top female player by a mountain and a mile.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to look at why there are so few female players in the first place, and why the recrutiment amonst women is so low. It has to do with the atmosphere (or lack thereof...)
Pool is male dominated and the males that dominate pool are not really inclusive or openminded.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
God made men and women different

this shows up in so many areas that it is surprising
that anyone could fail to see it

Vive la différence