The Results Are In - Pool Is Not A Sport

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, they are all games. Sport refers more to the outcome, imo. Meaning, they are all games when you're just playing them. Once you put more emphasis or significance on the outcome of the game or multiple games is when you start playing for sport. Whether it's a tournament, season, a bet, or just seeing who's best that day or whatever.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If nobody said it yet then I will.
The only sports are auto racing, mountaineering, and bull fighting, everything else is just a game.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Art form sounds sporty

I like the art form idea. Arm wrestling or pulling would be more physical than say auto racing but I am not a huge nascar fan. The number one form of exercise is rock climbing for anyone interested.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree that "one foul ball in hand" is not a sport.

"Two Foul" rules is what makes it a sport.

863c79059325b765e7d656e0b591aa69.jpg

I hate two foul nine ball. I like Predator Tour 10-ball. That's my opinion.

and for Cleary, I wear these kicks when I play; Ain't nobody got time fo shiny leatha.

adidas%20Originals%20Hard%20Court%20Defender%20670X425.jpg

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the art form idea. Arm wrestling or pulling would be more physical than say auto racing but I am not a huge nascar fan. The number one form of exercise is rock climbing for anyone interested.

Danny I respect your input here, But Running has to be tops when speaking about the overall number 1 form of exercising in the world!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree that "one foul ball in hand" is not a sport.

"Two Foul" rules is what makes it a sport.

For me personally, I don't consider pool a game or sport as much as an "Art Form" and a way for a person to express themselves. Pool is a beautiful game, sport AND art form.

What other activity can make that claim? Pool has received a "bad rap" from the controlling forces in the country, however, we're not the only ones, so why play a victim? It' time to define and express the game in the most effective way possible.

Pool has it's unique qualities, can't we all just enjoy and enhance them?

No CJ 2 foul makes it more a game ,, a chess game inside a pool game , this will not change the public opinion it's not where's Waldo ,, they want fast action ,, can't tell me those Ko boys are not marketable ,, exposure is what's lacking ,, whether or not it's a sport or a game is irrelevant I agree with your stance we need characters ,, these guys have the look , bring on the young guns Justin Skyler and such let them be the face of pool bring in the young viewers and the game will flourish on that
It's not a court room we need to stop treating it as such

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe ALL pool tournaments should have a charity based function in every event

I take it you've never seen a 20+ session of '2 Shot Shoot Out' played for the CA$H - I have and possibly played in more of these sessions than anyone alive (except maybe "Arkansas Calvin" ;). This is just as mentally and physically taxing as many other "sports".....especially if you have fight three guys to "get out with the cash". :groucho:

If someone doesn't think it's physical playing 20 hours of "2 Foul" 9 Ball they simply haven't ever done it.....or even witnessed it. These times are so pathetic, playing "8 hour time limits" and "one foul rules," which require no strategy, either you try to run out, play safe or kick at balls - that's it, no sparring to it, it's about as boring as the rules could possibly make pool....what a shame, such a beautiful game played with "carnival type" rules.
games10.jpg

Those of you that have will agree with me and even at my "ripe old age" will wager I can outlast anyone playing the game.....any takers? I'm easy to find, just go to Dallas or Ft. Worth Texas and give me a call, we can battle for 48 - 72 hours and donate proceeds to the Scottish Rite Children's Hospital, or whatever's necessary.
tsrhc-aerial-logo.jpg

I believe ALL pool tournaments should have a charity based function leading into every event like we used to in the 90s in LA, Vegas, and Dallas.....the Bicycle Club and Jay Helfert always had charity functions to get some positive PR and create a WIN/WIN scenario with the public....why isn't this being done now? I'll volunteer my time and effort to make it happen anywhere in the Texas area.

No CJ 2 foul makes it more a game ,, a chess game inside a pool game , this will not change the public opinion it's not where's Waldo ,, they want fast action ,, can't tell me those Ko boys are not marketable ,, exposure is what's lacking ,, whether or not it's a sport or a game is irrelevant I agree with your stance we need characters ,, these guys have the look , bring on the young guns Justin Skyler and such let them be the face of pool bring in the young viewers and the game will flourish on that
It's not a court room we need to stop treating it as such

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
We lost to god dam ice dancing? Sniff, sniff.

(Not even figure skating, that gets its own category.)

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course Pool is a sport (too), "downgrading" it simply has to do with the extend of organization and "balance" it has among other sports worldwide.
As every sport we have to remember that it has a non competitive aspect, which is also something totally different than the competitive one.
Although form of competition today is not the best in my opinion, it has been proven through the years that the best "athletes" endure in time, meaning keeping themselves fit (something that can be achieved mainly outside playing conditions) and practice regularly with a program.
Besides, polls are quite relative in terms of the results they produce.
So, let's not underestimate a great sport with huge potential just because it hasn't reached that potential.
Petros

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ --- to all those who are unfamiliar with the "2 Shot Shoot Out" 9 ball rules on the forum, would you please offer an explanation?

Great offer BTW to play anyone and have all proceeds go to charity. That post alone qualified for "Honorable Mention".

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Ahh... but ultimate frisbee, disc golf and dodge ball are all more of a sport than billiards?? Get the F outta here. Those losers have the last 5 and I'll crush someone's chest in at dodge ball.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it you've never seen a 20+ session of '2 Shot Shoot Out' played for the CA$H - I have and possibly played in more of these sessions than anyone alive (except maybe "Arkansas Calvin" ;). This is just as mentally and physically taxing as many other "sports".....especially if you have fight three guys to "get out with the cash". :groucho:

If someone doesn't think it's physical playing 20 hours of "2 Foul" 9 Ball they simply haven't ever done it.....or even witnessed it. These times are so pathetic, playing "8 hour time limits" and "one foul rules," which require no strategy, either you try to run out, play safe or kick at balls - that's it, no sparring to it, it's about as boring as the rules could possibly make pool....what a shame, such a beautiful game played with "carnival type" rules.
games10.jpg

Those of you that have will agree with me and even at my "ripe old age" will wager I can outlast anyone playing the game.....any takers? I'm easy to find, just go to Dallas or Ft. Worth Texas and give me a call, we can battle for 48 - 72 hours and donate proceeds to the Scottish Rite Children's Hospital, or whatever's necessary.
tsrhc-aerial-logo.jpg

I believe ALL pool tournaments should have a charity based function leading into every event like we used to in the 90s in LA, Vegas, and Dallas.....the Bicycle Club and Jay Helfert always had charity functions to get some positive PR and create a WIN/WIN scenario with the public....why isn't this being done now? I'll volunteer my time and effort to make it happen anywhere in the Texas area.

So your answer to boredom is more boredom ,, you clearly are not up with the times it's hard for people to sit thru a hour match now you want to extend that to hours per match .. Good luck with that ,, let's not be confused the invention of 9ball was to speed up the game for the viewers because straight pool took to long ,, I foul was put in place for the same reason ,, I would suggest you sharpen your kicking skills if you want to compete .
Kicking safe is a skill in case you haven't noticed

Smoking aces was a great tourney it's was fast action pool at its finest and the races were long enough to balance out any luck factor ,, that's what the game needs
Not watch your grass grow 2 foul push out

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sport vs. Game. A sport requires a higher level of fitness and athleticism.

Winning a pool tournament might require endurance and a certain level of fitness, but pool is not based on tournaments and plenty of people never enter a tournament.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This poll does not mean pool is not a sport. It only means that some people think it is and some people don't.

To me it's like this, if Sports Illustrated covers it then it's a sport. :)

Pool stars have been honored as sportsmen and women among athletes forever. I would like someone to wear one of those Fitbit devices and see how many calories they burn in a set of pool. I bet all that walking and bending and stroking adds up.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
who voted?? did they spend years learning to use english and pattern play and keeping your hand steady in pressure?? it has curling, whaaaaa???? bowling??? you spin a ball and knock shit over, try to avoid a cluster of balls using three rails mother****aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This poll does not mean pool is not a sport. It only means that some people think it is and some people don't.

To me it's like this, if Sports Illustrated covers it then it's a sport. :)

Pool stars have been honored as sportsmen and women among athletes forever. I would like someone to wear one of those Fitbit devices and see how many calories they burn in a set of pool. I bet all that walking and bending and stroking adds up.

John,

I've enjoyed discussing things with you in the past so take this comment in that same vein:). You say if SI covers it then it's a sport, does it follow that the players of that sport are athletes?

ONB

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John,

I've enjoyed discussing things with you in the past so take this comment in that same vein:). You say if SI covers it then it's a sport, does it follow that the players of that sport are athletes?

ONB

I consider any type of competitive endeavor where physical prowess and control are required to be a sport and the people who play it to be athletes. How athletic they are is of course totally dependent on what is required of the activity.

Obviously pool requires low aerobic capacity and high endurance coupled with a range of dexterity and some flexibility.

A pure game can be played with ZERO physical interaction. Purely mental direction where the movers of the pieces don't matter. Chess, checkers, monopoly etc are all games that require zero physical skill. Pool on the other hand cannot be played with just mental direction. A world champion in pool cannot beat another world champion in a heads up match IF they are only directing a B player to attempt the shots.

Conversely it would also be difficult for a world champion to play effectively IF they were only allowed to shoot the shots as directed by amateurs.

Thus pool is a sport because it requires both the mental strength and wisdom coupled with physical skill that has been practiced and developed.

But no, if SI or ESPN covers an activity it doesn't make the participants athletes. A Spelling Bee for example can be competed in by a quadriplegic equally as well as an able bodied person. However there are sporting aspects even to a spelling competition, such as the trash talk.....haven't you seen the videos on you tube of sixth graders telling each other they don't know how to spell onomatopoeia? :)

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
nope

Danny I respect your input here, But Running has to be tops when speaking about the overall number 1 form of exercising in the world!

Please note that I am an avid runner (30 miles+ a week). Running is not even in the top three, So again it's rock climbing and swimming comes in at a close second I think. Both sports are low impact to the joints and work almost every muscle. Next time you beg to differ you should look it up, you may find it will save you some time and drama. I do not rock climb but I guess it works almost every muscle in your body + it scores real high on cardio work out.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
In just two days we raised over $30,000 and got a tour of the SCOTTISH RITE Hospital

Sure, people can argue about how to make pool more popular with the general public all they want and the answer is right under their noses.......aligning with charities.

We did this in virtually every tournament in major cities and always had positive press and access to radio, TV, and newspaper exposure. Once you start raising money you are immediately put in an awesome category with the city and it opens up many doors. When I opened my club, CARSONS PALACE we did a pool tournament with many of the major morning DJs on the CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO stations in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

In just two days we raised over $30,000 and got a special tour of the SCOTTISH RITE HOSPITAL in Dallas.....it's unbelieveable how big this complex is and there's more below ground than you can see above.....they mainly give kids that have lost or were born without body parts artificial ones among many other generous contributions.

I believe I explained the '2 Shot Rules" in a PM, if not I'll do it tomorrow if you like. It's a very entertaining game, and anyone that thinks differently simply hasn't seen it played at the highest levels.....I've played hundreds of "high dollar" matches and know the game as well as anyone living......the game is at least 10 times more strategic than "one foul" and although it's not as fast, who says pool has to be a speed competition, if you want that simply put the players on a 15 second "SHOT CLOCK" - Problem Solved......'The Game is the Teacher'

CJ --- to all those who are unfamiliar with the "2 Shot Shoot Out" 9 ball rules on the forum, would you please offer an explanation?

Great offer BTW to play anyone and have all proceeds go to charity. That post alone qualified for "Honorable Mention".