The Reyes Cup

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess this is what you are referring too? His decline in earnings are severe, to be sure. But I heard about his VISA issues...so, in your opinion, has Dennis' ability suffered in addition? I've had no opportunity to see him play since the travel issues, so I've no clue really...but I suspect he is still a stone cold killer, no?

View attachment 733979
No

tomatoshooter

I guess this is what you are referring too? His decline in earnings are severe, to be sure. But I heard about his VISA issues...so, in your opinion, has Dennis' ability suffered in addition? I've had no opportunity to see him play since the travel issues, so I've no clue really...but I suspect he is still a stone cold killer, no?

View attachment 733979
$3000? With a little (okay, a lot) of practice, i could snap off a few weekly tournaments and maybe a monthly and top that! In all seriousness, I suspect there are tournaments he plays in that don't show up in AZB's money rankings.

Lightnin'

Reyes Cup ...in my humble opinion, should be an ALL Filipino team vs The World.
That's what Reyes himself did, he took on the world and DOMINATED all games for over 25+yrs, a feat unheard of, requiring such an immensely strong focus and dedication and love for the game.

Biado
Raga
Chua
Lee Van
Aranas

vs

SVB
Filler
Gorst
FSR
Ko

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what Reyes himself did, he took on the world and DOMINATED all games for over 25+yrs, a feat unheard of, requiring such an immensely strong focus and dedication and love for the game.

Biado
Raga
Chua
Lee Van
Aranas

vs

SVB
Filler
Gorst
FSR
Ko
I mean, I would love to see a match up like this but 1 team listed has 5 world champions. Biado and Lee Van, who are both 40+, are the only ones who have a similar pedigree.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, I would love to see a match up like this but 1 team listed has 5 world champions. Biado and Lee Van, who are both 40+, are the only ones who have a similar pedigree.

not sure if lee van is a world champion. he won the world 14.1 tournament one year, but i don't think that was a sanctioned world championship that year

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Biado
Raga
Chua
Lee Van
Aranas

vs

SVB
Filler
Gorst
FSR
Ko
I'm a huge Efren fan but the truth is -- he didn't dominate anything. His greatness lied in the fact that he was among the best players for a very long time, changed how the game was played, and did it all with a positive and classy attitude. His actual tournament results weren't really dominating at any point.

Lightnin'

...and yet, I'm pretty sure the outcome on this would be a toss up, if not in favour to team Reyes and the PHILS.

Lightnin'

I'm a huge Efren fan but the truth is -- he didn't dominate anything. His greatness lied in the fact that he was among the best players for a very long time, changed how the game was played, and did it all with a positive and classy attitude. His actual tournament results weren't really dominating at any point.
Somebody dig into this and let's see some actual factual results, tournaments entered and tournaments placed in. Because I think you're wrong here....I think he totally dominated all games, 8 ball, 9 ball, and even 10ball ...he was the one player who humbled all others.

Lightnin'

not sure if lee van is a world champion. he won the world 14.1 tournament one year, but i don't think that was a sanctioned world championship that year
You could even add to that list...
Dennis Orcolo
Roland Garcia
Jeffrey DeLuna
Roberto Gomez
Kyle Amarato
AJ Manas

Lightnin'

L
Correct I clipped the shot. Amused was not the right word, sceptical. But in no way actually concerned. When I saw the roll I cheered "this is misable!!" when I saw the look it was clear that he would make it.
Lee Van has a whole nother level that we don't get to witness too often ..doesn't mean it's not there, if he played more aggressively all the time we'd all be in awe. So many of the Filipinos have that too, but hold back and play the percentage shots when they'd prob be better off doing what they know they can pull off, most probably because of their fluid loose grip style. 👍

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody dig into this and let's see some actual factual results, tournaments entered and tournaments placed in. Because I think you're wrong here....I think he totally dominated all games, 8 ball, 9 ball, and even 10ball ...he was the one player who humbled all others.

he dominated one pocket and was the best 8-ball player in the world, but i doubt you can say he dominated 9-ball. earl won more WC:s and US opens, he even beat efren 11-3 in the final of one US open

Lightnin'

he dominated one pocket and was the best 8-ball player in the world, but i doubt you can say he dominated 9-ball. earl won more WC:s and US opens, he even beat efren 11-3 in the final of one US open
Like I said ...let's see a table showing tournaments Efren entered, and tournaments he placed top 4 in.
Just because some players beat him a few times doesn't mean he didn't dominate the field consistently year after year, event after event.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said ...let's see a table showing tournaments Efren entered, and tournaments he placed top 4 in.
Just because some players beat him a few times doesn't mean he didn't dominate the field consistently year after year, event after event.

how is it a few times when efren won 1 US open and earl 5? also buddy hall and nick varner won 2 or more each. same with world 9-ball championship, which he won only once while earl and johnny won 5 between them.

to me efren is the GOAT but not because of "dominating" 9-ball

Lightnin'

Only a few players thru the years have been so consistent, not just running a hot streak. Yes Efren and Earl both, add to that Parica, Luther Lasiter, Willie Mosconi, and maybe to a small degree O'l Kentucky Kernel Nick Varner and Mike Segal and Buddy Hall.
The difference being Efren did it in ALL games, and ran consistent for longer then anyone, by far!

Lightnin'

I don't get why matchroom has made this Europe against Asia. We already have Mosconi; Europe against America. Why the bias towards Europe....oh wait a sec LOL of course matchroom is Europe! 🤪
Let's see something totally different....if this is truly a "Reyes" Cup ...then it should be Philippines vs The World. This gives every other event an opportunity to be played in home turf of Manila, the other events can move all over practically anywhere....I'd love to see Canada included in SOMETHING dammit. We have John Morra and Aelx Pagulayan and some others. 😬...and one year it could come to Toronto 🙏

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except on Derby City and whenever was biggest prize money ever to win. He Dominated!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how is it a few times when efren won 1 US open and earl 5? also buddy hall and nick varner won 2 or more each. same with world 9-ball championship, which he won only once while earl and johnny won 5 between them.

to me efren is the GOAT but not because of "dominating" 9-ball
Exactly. Plus 9 Ball has been the main discipline for maybe 50 years now.
Only a few players thru the years have been so consistent, not just running a hot streak. Yes Efren and Earl both, add to that Parica, Luther Lasiter, Willie Mosconi, and maybe to a small degree O'l Kentucky Kernel Nick Varner and Mike Segal and Buddy Hall.
The difference being Efren did it in ALL games, and ran consistent for longer then anyone, by far!
Now you're stumbling closer to the truth. "Consistency" is not domination. Pool is just too hard to dominate even by the best players. And... in 9 Ball, there's really not even a single decade where you could say Efren was the best. Not one.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race for Reyes Cup
After UK Open, winner Capito and Semifinalist Pijus jump to #2 for Asia and Europe
Top 3 automatically qualify while 2 are wildcards.
1st member announced after World Pool Championship (WPC) next mth followed by 1 each after European Open and US Open
Of'cos whoever wins WPC tops ranking is guaranteed a spot as no way anyone can better that in subsequent events
reyes cup11.PNG