The Reyes Cup

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
seeing allot of kids/parents and support going on, like as the Shane McMinn BCA Jr. Nationals/Magoos 20 yrs ago.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing Americans love is money. Once it becomes established that a pro pool player can make millions, you will see a resurgence with more and more talented young people.

Right now, you have ODP soccer camps, travel baseball, All Star 7 on 7 football, AAU basketball, Robotics camp, Esports camps, all for elite athletes. Then you have the regular leagues of all sports for those not so serious.

Heck, dorks streaming themselves playing Fortnite are making millions of dollars on Twitch and Tiktok and Utube. Kids are now getting big bucks as influencer and content creators.

Once the pay for pro pool can compete, maybe the youngsters will give it more than a passing glance. Just seems that right now, there are too many options for the teens and pre-teens.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which you could then call "The World Cup."

Ha maybe!

But joking aside, the Mosconi Cup works as Matchoom can engineer a them vs us mentality for the fans, not sure if that would be possible with The Philippines vs Asia, but maybe.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it’s due to Americans predilection for wanting to bang on bar boxes instead of playing pool on pool tables.

We invented both pool and it’s current game of choice 9 ball yet for the last couple decades it is Europeans & Filipinos/Asians dominating the sport. You know what you rarely see in Europe, the Philippines and the rest of Asia, bar boxes. In the area I’m currently in a guy I know opened a room with all new Diamond 9’s & 7’s, an equal amount of each. Within a year he had pulled out all but Two of 9’ tables and made a giant area for Corn Hole FFS. He said he only had a couple customers that utilized the 9’ tables, everyone wanted to play on bar boxes so he kept a couple, pulled the rest out and installed Corn Hole to survive. The problem is Americans “wanting to go to Vegas in APA” instead of being actual pool players that play on a real table and play all disciplines. It’s a damn shame.
I don’t think we invented pool. Those countries you mentioned have a lot of investment from their government if it’s not profitable it won’t happen here. Pool just has a bad image here and no companies want to sponsor it

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I don’t think we invented pool. Those countries you mentioned have a lot of investment from their government if it’s not profitable it won’t happen here. Pool just has a bad image here and no companies want to sponsor it
Just because you don’t think so doesn’t change the fact that pool was indeed invented in America.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Reyes Cup is a battle for Asia, its that or Heyball.

Are Heyball players going to make the move to Matchroom? The conversion away from snooker to pool was huge and still is.

Heyball players will have a lot to think after seeing the Reyes Cup.

Heyball has no national or regional pride events, and they dont defend against an international list of players.

Sports Heritage and history are real. Does Reyes want to name other important people? The journey out of PI is a story more need to hear.

Reyes did it and without the government. Or was it Cesar Morales?

Flakeandrun

Reyes Cup is a battle for Asia, its that or Heyball.
It's thousands vs. hundreds of thousands of $...
Are Heyball players going to make the move to Matchroom?
They will play both if they are big enough names...
The conversion away from snooker to pool was huge and still is.
nonsense... one or two bigger names take a lucrative sponsorship deal for an additional slice of gimmicky limelight, or they wouldn't bother at all...
Heyball players will have a lot to think after seeing the Reyes Cup.
No more than they did before...
Heyball has no national or regional pride events, and they dont defend against an international list of players.
Was about to ask if you are sane, but then saw it's you haha
They have countless domestic events, and host international master events. It's a bit like American football having a world championship. I'd argue, it's far more international than American football, baseball and possibly even basketball with regard to player turnout and representation.

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

Ha maybe!

But joking aside, the Mosconi Cup works as Matchoom can engineer a them vs us mentality for the fans, not sure if that would be possible with The Philippines vs Asia, but maybe.
There's one 'Us vs. Them' situation I see. But probably wouldn't draw the right kind of attention to the area 😂

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's thousands vs. hundreds of thousands of $...

don't feed him

nonsense... one or two bigger names take a lucrative sponsorship deal for an additional slice of gimmicky limelight, or they wouldn't bother at all...

wilson does seem to have got the pool bug, according to his friends, so i would be surprised if he didn't play more pool. mark williams in heyball was probably sponsorship. he did half ok, but the thing is that the specialization of the three cue sports has made them very hard to succeed at. tony drago didn't have to kick like filler to do well in pool, and the quick transition darren made when he won the c8b worlds is totally impossible today.

Flakeandrun

don't feed him
Yeah, I didn't notice till I'd spend a minute or two typing. My bad.
wilson does seem to have got the pool bug, according to his friends, so i would be surprised if he didn't play more pool.
As and when, It's a bit like how Chinese-8 players view the American table here. When they lose 'they weren't trying so hard' - ''there's too much luck involved' - no doubt it's a nice bit of extra sponsorship cake and publicity for him
mark williams in heyball was probably sponsorship. he did half ok, but the thing is that the specialization of the three cue sports has made them very hard to succeed at.
Nice trip to China for the snooker players. Who treat it like the Chinese-8 players treat the American table as mentioned above.
tony drago didn't have to kick like filler to do well in pool
Tony Drago was a gun.
and the quick transition darren made when he won the c8b worlds is totally impossible today.
I do have big respect for people who can play any and all cue sport with little transition time. I enjoy Chinese-8, but I need to spend a whole day playing it before I feel semi-confident. I do like playing friends on these tables, and then playing on American tables after. Two completely different beasts. The standard of Chinese-8 has increased massively in a very short time (I'd say Covid, and the lack of travel by domestic players during this time, has seen them really shake some quality and finesse into the game)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As and when, It's a bit like how Chinese-8 players view the American table here. When they lose 'they weren't trying so hard' - ''there's too much luck involved' - no doubt it's a nice bit of extra sponsorship cake and publicity for him

last year i think he went to UK open, spanish open, european open, hanoi open and some satellite non-MR events. not much publicity, even though he did well in two or three of those.

I do have big respect for people who can play any and all cue sport with little transition time. I enjoy Chinese-8, but I need to spend a whole day playing it before I feel semi-confident. I do like playing friends on these tables, and then playing on American tables after. Two completely different beasts. The standard of Chinese-8 has increased massively in a very short time (I'd say Covid, and the lack of travel by domestic players during this time, has seen them really shake some quality and finesse into the game)

yea that's what i was saying. there are now generations that grew up playing c8b, and the finals are always an all chinese affair.

Flakeandrun

last year i think he went to UK open, spanish open, european open, hanoi open and some satellite non-MR events. not much publicity, even though he did well in two or three of those.
It turned some heads. Especially in snooker circles. He didn't do well enough. Still made a pretty packet no doubt.
yea that's what i was saying. there are now generations that grew up playing c8b, and the finals are always an all chinese affair.
There's always one or two from here there and everywhere. But there has been a definite increase in dominance since the period of no travel. Bucket loads of money invested into it helps.