The Reyes Cup

Scrunge19

Registered
It always makes me laugh when people point at leagues like the APA, BCA, etc as some sort of bad thing or cause for why XYZ isn’t successful. Pool would be even less of a thing in this country without those leagues and the people who play in them. Anyone who picks up a cue, whether it be in a league, a tournament, or just at a bar with a friend is helping the sport, period.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The number of players that join leagues for fun far outweighs the number that join to actually get better. Leagues are just an excuse for people to get drunk on a school/work night.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Leagues are just an excuse for people to get drunk on a school/work night.
Unless you are like my wife and I who began playing in leagues after retirement so we could get off our asses (and out of the reclining chairs), get out of the house, meet new friends (which we have), and simply have fun. For the record, neither one of us drink.

Another league hater stereotyping and lumping all league players into a league-hating narrative, imo. At least the quoted part of your post certainly sounds that way.

shooter_Hans

The number of players that join leagues for fun far outweighs the number that join to actually get better. Leagues are just an excuse for people to get drunk on a school/work night.
It’s social hour because I see pool players immediately leave after they are done with their matches. Nobody sticks around. Therefore, it’s only a commitment and chore to them. I belong to a football fan group and ours show up on time and leave right after the game. Some groups stay after the game and hangout and chat. If these league players are not staying to practice then they aren’t really committed.

At least with me I will show up early and practice before a tournament starts. If I lose I will most likely stick around till it’s over.

shooter_Hans

It always makes me laugh when people point at leagues like the APA, BCA, etc as some sort of bad thing or cause for why XYZ isn’t successful. Pool would be even less of a thing in this country without those leagues and the people who play in them. Anyone who picks up a cue, whether it be in a league, a tournament, or just at a bar with a friend is helping the sport, period.
I disagree.

Leagues have turned pool halls into a facility for league players. It’s no longer thought of as a place to drink and play games of pool for the casuals.

There is a shelf life with pool players. League players stay too long when there are a bunch of money from the general public to tailor to.

People use to say pool halls are tailored to players and not customers. Well, league players now fall into the pool player category. They are cheap and don’t spend money.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Well, league players now fall into the pool player category. They are cheap and don’t spend money.
Once again, stereotyping to fit your narrative to hate on 7-foot tables.

There are members of the league I once played in (and my wife still does) that easily cash out a bar tab of $50 or more every league night.

I've seen many a post on this forum over the years alluding to the fact that the (serious) pool players are the cheapest people in the pool hall.

Prove this wrong.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Leagues have turned pool halls into a facility for league players. It’s no longer thought of as a place to drink and play games of pool for the casuals.
I think cheap entertainment did that. Most pool halls stay afloat because of leagues. "Casual players" are at home watching netflix, playing video games or staring at tik tok on their smart phones. Pool is relatively expensive as far as entertainment goes nowadays. For $50 or 60 you can buy a video game that you can get hundreds (or thousands) of hours enjoyment from. That same money might get you 10 hours table time if it's a cheap place. Some places it might get you 5 hours or less.

Food, beer and liquor are cheaper at home and you don't have to go out amongst the unwashed masses with idiots starting fights. You should show the leagues a little respect because without them, your favorite hall would be closed now. People don't give a rip about pool like they used to, it's just an inconvenient (and very difficult) form of entertainment lost in the sea of cheap entertainment nowadays. Could you imagine what our parents or grandparents would have thought about a $300 65" television back in the 60s or 70s?

shooter_Hans

There are members of the league I once played in (and my wife still does) that easily cash out a bar tab of $50 or more every league night.

I've seen many a post on this forum over the years alluding to the fact that the (serious) pool players are the cheapest people in the pool hall.

Prove this wrong.
I’m a pool player and sadly league players have now been categorized with us. We’re all the same now.

Whatever reputation we had, it is now amplified because of league players.

-being rude to staff
-cheating pool time thinking they can hop on a table without anyone noticing.
-bringing their own food and wouldn’t buy food from the establishment.
-bringing their own drinks and cocktails
-throwing their equipment on tables and bringing lawn chair and setting up camp on the aisle.

This is the biggest one and thankfully it doesn’t involve us.

-cheating; people don’t think what you guys are doing is called pool. It’s a racket disguised as pool. Sandbagging.

-pool isn’t played by some members; they get more joy being managers. There are a bunch of these. I’m too good to play so I manage teams.

I can go on but most people reading this can relate. Which tells you there is an issue. You can say I’m generalizing and I’m just generalizing on the majority. There are still some that enjoy it.

I know players that flip flop to both sides of the game and I hear a lot of shit stories coming from the small table side.

They are nice people.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Prove this wrong.
''
BeiberLvr said:
Leagues are just an excuse for people to get drunk on a school/work night."
Maniac.... we both know and have been round long enough to say this.

It's not this group, it's the roaming gamblers that pack a lunch, not the working man.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’re right, it is pathetic. Every year the US gets their ass handed to them at the Mosconi Cup and the majority of those on this site mourn the loss, and those that mourn are the same people playing on Boxes participating in the “How y’all doing in league” thread and “trying to go to Vegas” in APA. Ping pong players don’t go to Wimbledon and win because Ping Pong isn’t tennis. Putt Putt players don’t go and win the Masters Golf Championship because Putt Putt isn’t golf. The USA doesn’t win at or dominate pool because Bar Box banging isn’t Pool.
I tend to agree but you're not doing a apples-to-apples comparison. Pool on a barbox IS the same game just on a smaller playing field. Putt-putt and ping-pong are not same game as their counterparts. Look, big-table pool requires FAR more investment in player's time and most people either don't have the time or the desire. People play league pool as a off-work recreation, they have ZERO desire to become a POOL PLAYER. Its been that way in the US for YEARS. The resurgence of pro pool MIGHT cause an uptick in US bigbox pool but i'm not holding my breath.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think cheap entertainment did that. Most pool halls stay afloat because of leagues. "Casual players" are at home watching netflix, playing video games or staring at tik tok on their smart phones. Pool is relatively expensive as far as entertainment goes nowadays. For $50 or 60 you can buy a video game that you can get hundreds (or thousands) of hours enjoyment from. That same money might get you 10 hours table time if it's a cheap place. Some places it might get you 5 hours or less.

Food, beer and liquor are cheaper at home and you don't have to go out amongst the unwashed masses with idiots starting fights. You should show the leagues a little respect because without them, your favorite hall would be closed now. People don't give a rip about pool like they used to, it's just an inconvenient (and very difficult) form of entertainment lost in the sea of cheap entertainment nowadays. Could you imagine what our parents or grandparents would have thought about a $300 65" television back in the 60s or 70s?
Agree 100%.

Scrunge19

Registered
Getting us back on topic here, I’ll be interested to see how they manage the balance between Filipinos vs remainder of Asian players for this event moving forward. If you call it the Reyes Cup, there’s gotta be at least 1 Filipino on the team every year, right?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I tend to agree but you're not doing a apples-to-apples comparison. Pool on a barbox IS the same game just on a smaller playing field. Putt-putt and ping-pong are not same game as their counterparts. Look, big-table pool requires FAR more investment in player's time and most people either don't have the time or the desire. People play league pool as a off-work recreation, they have ZERO desire to become a POOL PLAYER. Its been that way in the US for YEARS. The resurgence of pro pool MIGHT cause an uptick in US bigbox pool but i'm not holding my breath.
I'm gonna disagree somewhat with this because, times have rechanged.
Pool I feel will make it............................. finally.............................. as a sport.

Got a brand new Diamond table room opening in Colorado Springs in June.
9' and 7's. 17 of em. + one 10'

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
-bringing their own drinks and cocktails
I am diabetic with heart disease. I do not drink alcohol. My local bar/hall doesn't serve Any Zero Sugar sodas. My wife and I bring a 16 oz. bottle of Coke/Mt. Dew Zero and a large Yeti cup from home every league night. I then pay the waitress $5 to fill the Yeti up with ice to pour our drink over.

It's a win-win for both parties and I don't have to feel like a cheapskate patron.

There have been many times I have walked past and left $5 in the tip jar even if I didn't buy anything there all night. Probably not very many "real" pool players do that.

If patrons don't support their local pool halls financially, how do they expect them to stay open? My guess would be from the drunken league players!!! :unsure:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting us back on topic here, I’ll be interested to see how they manage the balance between Filipinos vs remainder of Asian players for this event moving forward. If you call it the Reyes Cup, there’s gotta be at least 1 Filipino on the team every year, right?

i think it's fairly safe to assume one filipino will qualify.. along with at least one ko brother. the regrowth in the philippines seems fairly safe too, you learn a new name every year - amoroto, bernie, manas.. they just keep popping up

shooter_Hans

I am diabetic with heart disease. I do not drink alcohol. My local bar/hall doesn't serve Any Zero Sugar sodas. My wife and I bring a 16 oz. bottle of Coke/Mt. Dew Zero and a large Yeti cup from home every league night. I then pay the waitress $5 to fill the Yeti up with ice to pour our drink over.

It's a win-win for both parties and I don't have to feel like a cheapskate patron.

There have been many times I have walked past and left $5 in the tip jar even if I didn't buy anything there all night. Probably not very many "real" pool players do that.

If patrons don't support their local pool halls financially, how do they expect them to stay open? My guess would be from the drunken league players!!! :unsure:
Your have a reason. Which I am very happy to hear you were accommodated and you returned the favor.

Like I said not all league players but this is a pattern out local leagues have.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna disagree somewhat with this because, times have rechanged.
Pool I feel will make it............................. finally.............................. as a sport.

Got a brand new Diamond table room opening in Colorado Springs in June.
9' and 7's. 17 of em. + one 10'
How many WORLD CLASS bigbox players are there in the US?? 5-6 maybe if that? That # might go up a lil in next 10-15 yrs but not a lot. Its 'SPORT' status will always be in debate.