The Ten Greatest Players Of All Time

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still, de Oro's tournament/challenge match record is pretty impressive, just listing his World Championships. Note that he held the 14.1 title and the 3-cushion title at the same time. At that time pool was evolving, eventually resulting in the rules of 14.1 more or less as they are now.

1. 1887 Fifteen-ball pool World Champion
  2. 1888 Fifteen-ball pool WC
  3. 1889 Continuous pool WC
  4. 1890 Continuous pool WC
  5. 1891 May Continuous pool WC
  6. 1892 Mar Continuous pool WC
  7. 1893 Mar Continuous pool WC
  8. 1893 Jun Continuous pool WC
  9. 1896 May Continuous pool WC
  10. 1896 Jun Continuous pool WC
  11. 1898 Dec Continuous pool WC
  12. 1899 Jan Continuous pool WC
  13. 1899 Apr Continuous pool WC
  14. 1899 Dec Continuous pool WC
  15. 1900 Apr Continuous pool WC
  16. 1901 Apr Continuous pool WC
  17. 1904 Nov Continuous pool WC
  18. 1905 Jan Continuous pool WC
  19. 1905 May Continuous pool WC
  20. 1905 Oct Continuous pool WC
  21. 1908 May Continuous pool WC
  22. 1908 Oct Continuous pool WC
  23. 1908 3-Cushion WC
  24. 1910 Nov Continuous pool WC
  25. 1910 3-Cushion WC
  26. 1911 Jan Continuous pool WC
  27. 1911 Mar Continuous pool WC
  28. 1911 Apr Continuous pool WC
  29. 1911 May Continuous pool WC
  30. 1911 3-Cushion WC
  31. 1912 Jun 14.1 Continuous WC
  32. 1912 Nov 14.1 Continuous WC
  33. 1913 Jan 14.1 Continuous WC
  34. 1913 Feb 14.1 Continuous WC
  35. 1913 3-Cushion WC
  36. 1914 3-Cushion WC
  37. 1915 3-Cushion WC
  38. 1917 3-Cushion WC
  39. 1919 3-Cushion WC
This is from Wikipedia. A brief scan of some of Charlie Ursitti's files indicates that the list may be off a little.
He dominated for 32 years!
I dont think anyone has done that in any sport or game ever.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This list is going to look a lot different down the road, with numerous Europeans firmly in the conversation.

Stevexjfe

This list is going to look a lot different down the road, with numerous Europeans firmly in the conversation.
Hi Stu, I'm a brand new member on the AZ forums! a big fan of Yours! Really like your top 10 list, great list of players that are solid choices. I just have two questions, one being I know buddy hall was predominantly a Nine-ball player and One pocket player but how far would you rank him below these players? and due to Shane Van Boening's recent win at the World Pool Championship were would you rank him on this list or is it to early in his career to say?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hi Stu, I'm a brand new member on the AZ forums! a big fan of Yours! Really like your top 10 list, great list of players that are solid choices. I just have two questions, one being I know buddy hall was predominantly a Nine-ball player and One pocket player but how far would you rank him below these players? and due to Shane Van Boening's recent win at the World Pool Championship were would you rank him on this list or is it to early in his career to say?
Thanks for the kind words. I'm shocked to learn that I have ANY fans.

To me, Buddy was a small notch below Sigel, Varner, and Lassiter, although he could put a beating on any player at a moment's notice and often did. Among the Americans, I'd put him more on a par with guys like Archer and Rempe, two legends of the highest order whose career resumes were remarkable.

Until SVB won his first world championship, it was hard for me to put him in the conversation for greatest ever American player, but he's in the conversation now. I still don't see how you put him on a par with Sigel, who was the best straight pool player in the world when the straight pool era ended as well as the best nine ball player in the early part of the nine-ball era, but to compare SVB with Lassiter and Varner, both of whom were giants in multiple disciplines, is now within reason.

Of course, Mosconi and Greenleaf were the most dominant players of the straight pool era, and they dominated their peers far more than Sigel dominated his peers.

Hence, a top seven ever Americans list might start like this:

1, Mosconi
2. Greenleaf
3. Sigel
4A. Van Boening
4B. Lassiter
4C. Varner
7. Strickland

Shane has certainly juiced up the debate with his career defining win at the WPC. I just can't quite put Buddy Hall in the company of these seven.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, as always, it's important to note that this list has only slight consideration of history by including Greenleaf. (Did anyone here see Greenleaf play?) Why is Alfredo de Oro not on the list? Simple -- few people here have ever heard of him. Going by his dominance during his long career, he deserves to be here.

Maybe "Of All Time" needs an asterisk with the note: * last 80 years
The fact that Nobody beat De Oro at straight pool or billiards for 20 years should automatically get him on any list.
Most people look at the record books and see other peoples names in those years , what they don't realize is that they did not beat him for the title he was not allowed to have both titles at the same time, so if he won the straight pool championship, his billiard title was stripped from him and given to another player. and the same when he won the next billiard title , he automatically lost his straight pool title.
World records to me are a political and marketing game more than anything. Not just pool, how about fast draw.
Anybody that ever saw Bob Mundun do fast draw ,knows that he is the fastest man who ever lived and despite him saying he has over 3500 records and trophies over his career, they do not credit him with any of them. The killer to the whole controversy is that at age 68 he did a televised exhibition on Stan Lees Superhumans where he took a regular weight colt 45 single action drew and shot 2 balloons 6 feet apart and holstered his weapon in 1 tenth of a second, the recognized world title is 1 shot in .208 , almost 3 times slower lol. and it was done with a special lightweight version. Which in my opinion makes it a farce.
I won't go far into track and field too deep, but the women are still trying to beat some of the Soviet Block womens track records from the 1960s when they looked more manly ,than most men. OH no steroids there!
Or our own track and field , Marrion Jones goes to prison , while even 1 who admitted he used steroids is still in the record books,and recognized as the greatest american of all time. While his closest opponent (who actually beat him} in an olympics was stripped of the title and they handed it to him, lol, you can't make this stuff up. It's just crazy.

Rack’em

I think there’s a big difference between greatest players of all time and best players of all time. Mosconi, Greenleaf, Lasiter, Crane and others people have mentioned are certainly the most accomplished and decorated players of all time, but they are not the best. I would even argue that none of them would be a top 50 player of today in any game including straight pool. There’s also no videos of them playing in their prime to get a gauge of how well they played, or how well their opponents played to truly know how good they were. Would Mosconi with 15 world championships have any chance against Filler or Gorst? I don’t think so. Perhaps in a short race tournament format.

• Wow
Reactions: bbb

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think there’s a big difference between greatest players of all time and best players of all time. Mosconi, Greenleaf, Lasiter, Crane and others people have mentioned are certainly the most accomplished and decorated players of all time, but they are not the best. I would even argue that none of them would be a top 50 player of today in any game including straight pool. There’s also no videos of them playing in their prime to get a gauge of how well they played, or how well their opponents played to truly know how good they were. Would Mosconi with 15 world championships have any chance against Filler or Gorst? I don’t think so. Perhaps in a short race tournament format.
Do you think if Mosconi grew up today under the same conditions as Filler and Gorst that he would still not be a top 50 player? To me, that's the only interesting question to ask when comparing players from different eras--given a level playing field, how would they compare? Of course it's all speculation, but it's fun to speculate about it. I personally think Mosconi would be a champion in any era, all things being equal.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
lists are always political and never objective.
pool lists are hard as almost all the top players of all years were so close in skill that defining one better than the other is too hard.

the only real test is who stood the test of time. not who won what.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, here is what we came up with after much voting:

1 - Efren Reyes - 252
2 - Earl Strickland - 126
3 - Shane Van Boening - 119
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 118
5 - Nick Varner - 104
6 - Mike Sigel - 103
7 - Buddy Hall - 56
8 - Francisco Bustamante - 53
9 - Johnny Archer - 52
10 - Dennis Orcollo - 51
I'd like to move Dennis higher, BUT who gets demoted? The order is fine.
Imho there has to be room for Keith.
If these champs played a round-robin, and each could pick the game twice, who'd prevail? Assuming top form for all.

Rack’em

Do you think if Mosconi grew up today under the same conditions as Filler and Gorst that he would still not be a top 50 player? To me, that's the only interesting question to ask when comparing players from different eras--given a level playing field, how would they compare? Of course it's all speculation, but it's fun to speculate about it. I personally think Mosconi would be a champion in any era, all things being equal.
Maybe, I don't know. I have no doubt that he would be a very good player even today. To me I imagine Mosconi being like that guy John Schmidt who had broke his record. A good pro but not a top pro. And I'm in no way trying to diminish their accomplishments. All I'm saying is that the top players of today are the best of all time.

The discussion of player A from today and player B from another generation is older than dirt. There are some sports where the physical element is a major component and others where it's not. That said, Tiger in his prime was much bigger and stronger than Jack, modern technology, science, and so much more would be at play. But if Jack in his prime was somehow brought into today's time, today's day and age, he'd have access to the same things that Tiger did. On the other hand, you see tennis players today, and you think how could Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, and so on, compete against Novack, Roger, and Rafael, and company.

So, I never saw Mosconi in his prime. My dad did numerous times and also saw many of the other greats, from the 50's right up until today. Personally, I believe that if Mosconi in his prime was dropped into today's game, all resources being equal, all things being the same, Mosconi in time would be at the top of the game. He might not dominate the competition like he did then, nor would anyone else, because there are more better players today I suspect, and the game is far more international and accessible. However, I can't help but think the talent, the skills, and the overall excellence, would rise to the top.

On a somewhat, tangentially related note -- I can't help but think, if there were any top European players in the late 19th century, early 20th century, how did they get to the United States to compete? LOL. And vice versa. LOL.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The discussion of player A from today and player B from another generation is older than dirt. There are some sports where the physical element is a major component and others where it's not. That said, Tiger in his prime was much bigger and stronger than Jack, modern technology, science, and so much more would be at play. But if Jack in his prime was somehow brought into today's time, today's day and age, he'd have access to the same things that Tiger did. On the other hand, you see tennis players today, and you think how could Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, and so on, compete against Novack, Roger, and Rafael, and company.

So, I never saw Mosconi in his prime. My dad did numerous times and also saw many of the other greats, from the 50's right up until today. Personally, I believe that if Mosconi in his prime was dropped into today's game, all resources being equal, all things being the same, Mosconi in time would be at the top of the game. He might not dominate the competition like he did then, nor would anyone else, because there are more better players today I suspect, and the game is far more international and accessible. However, I can't help but think the talent, the skills, and the overall excellence, would rise to the top.

On a somewhat, tangentially related note -- I can't help but think, if there were any top European players in the late 19th century, early 20th century, how did they get to the United States to compete? LOL. And vice versa. LOL.
very true- you can really only judge players off of the era they played in.

As you mentioned, people make similar comparisons in other sports. Some people make ridiculous claims like Babe Ruth would be a minor leaguer now (without thinking about the modern advancements he would benefit from). Unfortunately, some contemporary NBA players (like JJ Redick) disparage previous generations as a bunch of "plumbers".

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a young mosconi, lassiter, or mizerack. no one today would be chasing them down to play.

and instead of saying how they would do against todays top players. ask how todays top players would do going back in time and playing them on their terms.

Reactions: bbb

Flakeandrun

a young mosconi, lassiter, or mizerack. no one today would be chasing them down to play.

and instead of saying how they would do against todays top players. ask how todays top players would do going back in time and playing them on their terms.
Interesting. So has the game moved forwards or backwards?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting. So has the game moved forwards or backwards?
That is a good question. Today's shooters are wickedly accurate on todays cloth and cushions. Because of that they aren't even trying for the position play that was almost routine.

I watched a man work very hard for years trying to improve his pool game. Each new thing showed solid gains. Yet I couldn't help noticing that six months or a year later he was still in the same place in his pool hall's pecking order despite all of the advances he made. It seemed he had moved lateral instead of forward.

I found the same thing with racehorses. The "keep" was the total package, feed, supplements, med's, training. At best a horse hit it's maximum level, but that was it. There wasn't anything that was going to make a real change in that horse's speed. I had my choice of dozens more supplements and vitamins, many other things to try but they were just putting dollar bills into one end of a horse to watch crap come out of the other end. Every horse isn't going to be a triple crown winner.

Looking at pool players and top performers in some other sports I have to wonder if they aren't very close to 100% of their abilities and they are only moving laterally. They are getting a little forward creep but very little for the effort put in.

Just some 4AM thoughts.

Hu