They say this game is 90%.half mental?

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe it! I think it's 99.9 % mental, and I only know at best, 60%!
I had one of those nights! We were playing 3 ball, I did not win a game until it was tied a few times,and then something happened! For some unknown reason good things would happen.! Either I would make 2 balls on the break and be dead in on the last shot, or I would be able to make 2 balls with my next shot!
I won every single big pot!
Hard as I might try, this did not happen if it was a new game.

I got cursed more than a few times over the course of the evening. lol
I can't explain it at all ?
Luck?
Maybe a few times.
Something in the air?
I don't know!
All I do know, is that I could not beat my Grandmother yesterday.
I was not sure of ANY shot! Today I felt like I could do anything!
What the heck happened, and how do I keep it?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe it! I think it's 99.9 % mental, and I only know at best, 60%!
I had one of those nights! We were playing 3 ball, I did not win a game until it was tied a few times,and then something happened! For some unknown reason good things would happen.! Either I would make 2 balls on the break and be dead in on the last shot, or I would be able to make 2 balls with my next shot!
I won every single big pot!
Hard as I might try, this did not happen if it was a new game.

I got cursed more than a few times over the course of the evening. lol
I can't explain it at all ?
Luck?
Maybe a few times.
Something in the air?
I don't know!
All I do know, is that I could not beat my Grandmother yesterday.
I was not sure of ANY shot! Today I felt like I could do anything!
What the heck happened, and how do I keep it?

My experence tells me that this issue is about alignment with your game....I would suggest noticing how your feet position is on those severely good or bad days....your feet creates the foundation of your body alignment and since pool is a game of inches it can mean the difference between playing GREAT or "not being able to beat your granny" :withstupid: believe me WE'VE ALL HAD THOSE DAYS.....check out your feet/balance/posture and how that it's effecting your posture.....I have a feeling you'll make an interesting discovery. www.cjwiley.com

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Shaky-

alignment, how to step into the shot, to have the correct perception of a shot (like CJ said) are big keys to good pool.

But even if you have a good perception, you need a good stance and aligning perfectly-then it all come s together :)
Keep shooting pal.

lg
Ingo

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
This is a question I have been asking myself for awhile. When I'm in dead gear you might not get to shoot from the flip in a race to 5 or 7. I can put down package after package. But when I'm not....its everything I can do to get out. Let alone play good safe(weak part of my game). I can't seem to figure out what that mental switch is that makes me come alive. I can't understand why the difference is so BIG. I have caught good b and a players in tournaments that have gotten out to 5 and 6 game leads......then wam. I get tired of them winning and all they do is sit the rest of the set and watch me or maybe come to the table long enough to kick at a ball. But it seems like when I'm trying to catch that gear gambling I can't get there....:frown:. Any ideas CJ? You might be one of the best people on the planet to ask:thumbup:

sawtex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enough sleep "some need more than others" is the number one predictor of how I will play. Tired foggy headed from lack of sleep equals fundamentals going to hell, frustration
going up, confidence going down, momentum all with the opponent and wallet emptying.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side. There is an older man that used to be a pretty fair shot, that comes in just to watch and give his opinion LOUDLY when we play.
I believe I personally have threatened his life on more than one occasion. lol
He was merciless last night. For a change it was toward everyone else!
Evey time I would post a low number he would yell something like" just go pick up the cash. They can't beat you old man" !
Thank God it's all among friends or we both wouldn't have made it out alive! :D

APATexan

Registered
I agree that it's mental. Have you ever walked away from pool for a few months? For me, when i do return I play so much better and I think it's because I come back fresh and not dreaming of pool all day.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
90% 1/2 mental?

Good God, how the educational system failed us.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
I agree that it's mental. Have you ever walked away from pool for a few months? For me, when i do return I play so much better and I think it's because I come back fresh and not dreaming of pool all day.

i think most every player knows what you are talking about, but u forgot to mention what happens next. sooner or later the fundmentals come into play and the lack of practice time raises its ugly head. u can't run 3 balls if your life depended on it. if there is a way to mess it up; u will find that way.

there are no easy answers. it may be mostly mental but u still have to execute. i believe the art of making balls and putting together packages is about 45-51% physical depending on the player's style and mental makeup.

the mental part is easy; don't miss and don't lose. if u can convince yourself that u are that player, then u are at least at a level below shortstop. that's pretty good isn't it.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
First the PHYSICAL, then the mental

This is a question I have been asking myself for awhile. When I'm in dead gear you might not get to shoot from the flip in a race to 5 or 7. I can put down package after package. But when I'm not....its everything I can do to get out. Let alone play good safe(weak part of my game). I can't seem to figure out what that mental switch is that makes me come alive. I can't understand why the difference is so BIG. I have caught good b and a players in tournaments that have gotten out to 5 and 6 game leads......then wam. I get tired of them winning and all they do is sit the rest of the set and watch me or maybe come to the table long enough to kick at a ball. But it seems like when I'm trying to catch that gear gambling I can't get there....:frown:. Any ideas CJ? You might be one of the best people on the planet to ask:thumbup:

I'll give it a try, having technical difficulties with my computer :(

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member

It's paradoxical to think of pool being 90% mental....it would be like trying to believe playing the piano, painting a picture, or fixing the engine in a car is "90% mental"....the only way I may say that is after the statement "after you get the physical pre shot routine down perfectly" ... then pool may actually be 90% mental....and until then pool is closer to 90% Physical because if you even have the slightest physical piece out of your "game engine" it won't' matter how much mental horsepower you put in to it you will still play inconsisantly .... and I will debate that point with anyone, so WORK ON YOUR PRE SHOT ROUTINE, if it isn't consistent then your game will never be consistent - it will take a great deal of strain off you mentally in the process :thumbup: www.cjwiley.com

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member

Somehow I copied this three times....is there a way to delete if this happens?....I can't seem to find any way to do it...CJ

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Mental?

I've scanned the thread & I did not see FOCUS or lack of it mentioned. When I have been in the zone I would not hear anyone threaten my life or see them pull a shotgun to shoot me. My focus is ONLY on the table. My eyes & ears go no where else. When I have been 'off', I see & ear all kinds of non-pool related stuff.

Last edited:

flash5153

none
Silver Member
90% 1/2 mental?

I was thinking the same thing when I read this. So let me straighten it out.

It's 3/4 mental,,,1/2 skill and 25% luck.

So a well educated psychopath ,with any luck,,may just whoop on you on a pool table.
And that's just using 1/4 of his 25% of luck!!! 1/2 his mental,,and 3/4 of skill.

The numbers do not lie!!!! Beware!!!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Foundation of pool is physical no doubt

i think most every player knows what you are talking about, but u forgot to mention what happens next. sooner or later the fundmentals come into play and the lack of practice time raises its ugly head. u can't run 3 balls if your life depended on it. if there is a way to mess it up; u will find that way.

there are no easy answers. it may be mostly mental but u still have to execute. i believe the art of making balls and putting together packages is about 45-51% physical depending on the player's style and mental makeup.

the mental part is easy; don't miss and don't lose. if u can convince yourself that u are that player, then u are at least at a level below shortstop. that's pretty good isn't it.

Just like building any building or structure IT STARTS WITH THE FOUNDATION.....I have seem many in my time try to "decorate their penthouse" without first understanding how their FEET RELATE TO THE SHOT....that's how I can tell how well someone plays in a matter of minutes.....I CHECK THEIR FEET POSITION....which controls their body, which controls their cue, which CONTROLS THEIR GAME......very simple, very easy...THE GAME IS THE TEACHER!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
......very simple, very easy...THE GAME IS THE TEACHER!

And... the 'table' shows you the way to the WIN! You just have to be able to read the 'road map' & then be able to 'drive the car' along that path with no or only very little deters. Not that hard once you CAN read a road map & 'drive the car'. You don't even need a sports car. A good reliable Jeep will do, as long as it has all of the 'standard operating options' in good working order.

Talking about feet... & shoes. (Fondation) The last thing most 'good' athletes do before they take the field / court, etc. is...tie their shoes. Whenever I feel that I need to pick up my game I re-tie my shoes (it's a focus key). I have certain shoes that I will not play serious pool in. I'm 5'9". I have boots with 1 & 3/4 inch heels that I sometimes wear to give me more room to stroke the cue stick.. I heard or read somewhere that Earl Strikland once had to rush back to his hotel room before starting a match because he was wearing the wrong shoes. Look at the stance of 'most' females that do not play very well. That is the first thing that any good coach, teacher, or instructor would attempt to fix. Mr. Wiley is correct. You can not SUCCESSFULY build on a poor fondation.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
90% 1/2 mental?

I've been trying to figure that one out myself.
I thought perhaps he meant metal, as in a metal plate in one's head.
That couldn't have been right, so maybe it was a typo and he meant ninety and one half percent mental.
This forum can be so confusing. :smile:

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
Thanks cj. I actually have noticed with my increased amount of time playing I am not folding near as much. Last couple of days I have responded to the pressure big time. Even when I don't feel like I'm in gear and it doesn't seem easy I am still running out. Its like the increased muscle memory and repetition has made it automatic and taken a large chunk of the mental game out of the equation. More practice has allowed me to think less about it and play better. I think most of az has no idea how lucky they are to have you (cj) share such great advice and opinions so freely. SO I'' say thank you for some of them. :thumbup:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is about the ability to concentrate

I think that what is not often explained is that once you have a consistent PSR and your emotions are under control (some never do) the 90% mental should be translated as 90% concentration.

I know that some people like to talk about “heart” when gambling and the ability to withstand the pressure but that is not what playing ability is about. The gambling issues are another topic.

When it comes to simply playing your best game it is about one’s ability to sustain a high level of short term concentration. The ability to turn heightened concentration on and off as needed is the mental side of pool. The ability to continue doing this over a lengthy period of time is the sign of the master player.