This is a joke... Right?

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
It's only the profit that makes Kamui chalk so expensive, without that it would be very reasonable.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started using Predator chalk.
I like having my own chalk. I used to rely on the pool hall's chalk (Masters) but I wanted my own chalk because you couldn't always find a good piece of chalk in the hall (most of them were over used) and plus I am a chalk-before-every-shot player and I like walking around the table chalking my cue, so if I was always using the good piece of chalk my opponent didn't have one...
Why did I choose the Predator chalk? Honestly because of its desing. My cue has an octagonal handle and having a octagonal chalk matches very well, plus it has a black wrapper and I dress exclusively in black, my cues are black, my case is black.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I don't always use chalk, but when I do I prefer Triangle...

'cuz it seems to a bit finer and adhere to my tips better than Masters. Also, it's because I still have remnants of a 1/2 gross box of it I bought back in 1989. LOL!

I use the Triangle chalk at home, and keep a cube or two in my case in the event the chalk at the pool hall has been bored out by bangers, or if there's none at all.

If pool hall has decent cubes of masters available, I'll just use that.

Me too! Have to admit, first I use a tip pick followed by a coating of kamui with a top coat of Triangle. No miscues but I continue to overstroke the ball from time to time. Can't defend against that!!!

Lyn

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will like it. The best chalk I have tried.

How does the Magic chalk, compare to the blue diamond chalk? I haven't used either, but i'd like to try some other inexpensive brand (not Kamui, unless it was given to me) :) besides Masters.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
How does the Magic chalk, compare to the blue diamond chalk? I haven't used either, but i'd like to try some other inexpensive brand (not Kamui, unless it was given to me) :) besides Masters.

I was using Blue Diamond before I started using the Magic Chalk. The Magic Chalk is better, I think Blue Diamond will last longer as it seems to be a harder chalk. Both are good products but I am sold on Magic Chalk until something better comes along.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was using Blue Diamond before I started using the Magic Chalk. The Magic Chalk is better, I think Blue Diamond will last longer as it seems to be a harder chalk. Both are good products but I am sold on Magic Chalk until something better comes along.

Thanks Lenny....I'll give it try.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use both, they're both good. To me if you don't notice, it's good. If you don't notice your tip for a while and have no problems, good. If you don't even remember what kind of chalk you're using because there's no problem, good.

Everything I've used over the years from Kamui I've noticed (lol...Skamui...I like it). There has been some problem with every single one of their products over the years. Junk. Overpriced, well marketed, junky junk with junk sauce.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, I have a piece of Kamui that I won in a raffle I think. I've never owned a Jump/break cue until recently, but I may consider using it only in that application. I can see where it might come in handy for the hard phenolic tips. I'd never go out of my way to buy a piece though.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I was looking on ozonebilliards for some chalk and I came across this. It has to be a joke right? If not, what's the difference between $0.50 chalk and $30 chalk?

Let's start a convo while we're at it..
What chalk do you use and why do you think it's the best?

Joke? No, it's not a joke. I see you're fairly new here.
There are many threads discussing chalk, good and bad, why and cost, and all stuffs like that. I'm one of the people that had to have the $30 chalk, so let me begin - It wasn't bad as chalk goes. A little sticky and got blue shit all over everything. Overall did what you'd like chalk to do and did alot of what you'd like chalk not to do, but definitely not worth $30 per...
I have also tried Predator, Blue Diamond, Balabushka, Cosmo, Magic, Master - both Flag and Pre Flag, Triangle, Silver Cup, NIR Super Professional, Great White, National Tournament, Pioneer, Several Chinese, Japanese, Euro Chalks, Something from Mexico that I had never seen before or since, a couple of EBay cylindrical type chalks because I thought they looked cool, that crap that comes in the "Pool Kit" from K-Mart, Chalk Board Chalk, a piece of Drywall as an experiment, and countless others.
While most of the name brands were reasonably the same or close to the same, for me what I liked best and have used most is is Brunswick Gold Crown (in green, not blue), it just worked better for me for some reason. I know that many folks here really like the Russian Magic Chalk, I pretty much thought that was crap, but that's just me.
I like the Predator but I found that to be a little "dusty", Blue Diamond was really good and almost identical to the Balabushka, just not as good as the Brunswick, and the rest.... eh.... take it or leave it.
The subject of chalk is really subjective, and people do strange things to chalk looking for the right formula. Just find one that you like and stick with it, except for the $30 chalk, that one may stick to you

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started using Magic Chalk a few months ago and I will never again use anything else.

And yes, $30 for one piece of chalk is outrageous.

Last edited:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many good mentions for the Russian made Magic Chalk -- I will order some from Seyberts the next time I need something...

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Just released version 2.0 of the Great White... Better processes and new integrated metal bases.... Only American Made Cosmetic Chalk on the market.... Each piece weighs in at 24 grams of usable chalk.. That means 2 of ours = 3 of Kamui or most of the others... We make each piece in Knoxville Tennessee we are not an importer... so you know what you are buying and who you are buying from....

https://www.facebook.com/chris.renfro.796/videos/10206104518994868/

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I have been using Magic Chalk for about a year or so now. It is the best chalk that I have used to this point. A buddy gave me some Kamui at one point and yeah it works good, I guess. I dont like the mess of it and I could never pay that price.

I still need to try Renfro's chalk at some point. I just havent gotten around to ordering any as of yet.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a fan of Magic chalk and have recommended it here quite a few times, but it seems that the last several cubes that I have used seem to dry out before they are done.

Nothing ever really changes in the weather here, so I don't know what the problem is. I have two used pieces in my case and I keep them in the little box they came in, but they seem harder and don't cling to my tip like they did before they got worn down a bit. I use a scuffer and a pick, so I know it isn't because my tip is slick.

I've gone back to a piece of blue Masters at the moment because it seems to be working better for the mean time. I'll try out my Magic chalk tomorrow to see if it may have changed up some for the better.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
I've been a user of Blue Diamond chalk for at least 5 years. Really loved it until I bought some OB chalk last week. Best playing chalk I've used! Will defiantly be buying more.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is from dr daves test of various chalks

Here’s the bottom line
conclusion from all of the
experiments
: The
brand
of chalk doesn’t really matter

much, unless you don’t chalk often or well enough, in which case the Blue Diamond and Kamui might help;
although, they can result in more frequent cling.
Remember, chalk before each shot, and keep the CB as
clean as possible.
Definitely wipe the CB off any time you get ball in hand, and before every game before
breaking

here is a link to the article
http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2015/july15.pdf

yes $30 chalk is a joke

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
chalk.jpg

Anyone ever try this stuff, it seems to work well. I usually use whatever is on the table unless its drilled to the bottom, then I either have NIR or Masters in my case and on my home table. Probably going to try some Great White and Russian Magic chalk for the heck of it bit I have absolutely no problem with Master,
The first time I saw $30 for Kamui I wrongly thought that maybe a "cube" was like a 4 piece package of chalk, it was the only thing that made sense to me at that price. :confused::confused::confused: I was thinking there was no way possible it could be for a single cube of chalk because nobody in their right mind would pay that much but to my surprise I have seen it used probably 1 time a year by other players, I even tried some left behind by another player but I was not impressed enough with it to get some of my own.