Thoughts on current lower end Schons

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are your thoughts on the quality and resale value of the lower end Schons like the STL-1, STL-2 etc?

I'm in the market for a good hitting cue, it doesn't have to be fancy. Unfortunately I can't test hit one in my area. If I don't like it and want to resell it down the line, I want to know it won't lose a lot of value.

On a side note, I'm surprised that there aren't many lower end Schons for sale on here at all, there must be a ton of them out there?

Thanks,
Julian

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
probably the best buy for a player in the world

if you buy it used you might even make a profit

the eb 1 was my favorite,i played with mine for 5 years and fell in love
gilbert martinez wanted a good cue for high action playing
so i sold it to him ,as i was no longer getting away from home
and the action was slow

i missed my cue,but gilbert put it to good use

buy one

dean

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
probably the best buy for a player in the world

if you buy it used you might even make a profit

the eb 1 was my favorite,i played with mine for 5 years and fell in love
gilbert martinez wanted a good cue for high action playing
so i sold it to him ,as i was no longer getting away from home
and the action was slow

i missed my cue,but gilbert put it to good use

buy one

dean
agree w/ this post 100%

I got an stl3 a couple years back and I love it to death

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with the others. I got an STL-8 a few months back. Great cue, looks good, nice hit. But it does seem to have a lot of deflection to it. I don't recall my other Schon having that much deflection. Difference in shafts, I guess.

r/DCP

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Agree with the others. I got an STL-8 a few months back. Great cue, looks good, nice hit. But it does seem to have a lot of deflection to it. I don't recall my other Schon having that much deflection. Difference in shafts, I guess.

r/DCP

Same with my CX03 .. not sure if it's considered a low end or not. But - I have a Katana and couple OB shafts I use with it.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cue collector by any means, and over I don't know sheet. However, a couple weeks ago I was looking at a Scruggs ( which I do know some about and collect ) and it was here on AZ and in the add it said only trade for STL 9 Schon. Well today I ran across a STL9 SCHON for sale for seemingly a good price, Iv and all. $ 575 to be exact. That seems good right lol?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I Prefer PECHAUER OVER SCHON ....
" I have had a couple dozen SCHON / RUNDE SCHON-
nice cues-
GIVE PECHAUER A CHANCE-
I FEEL THEY PLAY BETTER :)

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Prefer PECHAUER OVER SCHON ....
" I have had a couple dozen SCHON / RUNDE SCHON-
nice cues-
GIVE PECHAUER A CHANCE-
I FEEL THEY PLAY BETTER :)
I heard good things about Pechauer but I can't test one either and it doesn't have as much reputation as Schon which might impact the resale value.

I heard good things about Pechauer but I can't test one either and it doesn't have as much reputation as Schon which might impact the resale value.

Get a Pro Series Pechauer. Please trust me, they hit super nice. Much nicer feedback then Schon cues, in my opinion. They are very solid, and nice hitting cues, but I would get a Pro Series (that are much nicer then the lower end JP series).

I would love to try out an older Schon (from the Runde Era) someday though.

The Segen cues (made by Evan Clark, one of the founders of Schon I think) look very nice too. I bet they are very nice hitting cues. There are some for sale on Open Billiard Market, for very fair prices, I think.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I think you have one answer right here. Owners love them to death, and therefore no want to part. Maybe these really do hit like a ton of bricks.

agree w/ this post 100%

I got an stl3 a couple years back and I love it to death

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon

I have an SL6 Schon I bought in 1996 and it's been my player for the last 21 years. I sent it back to Schon about 8 years ago to have it refinished, it came back looking great. Since I've started playing a lot more league in the last few years I wanted to semi-retire the 6 so it didn't get beat up in the dives I have to sometime play in.

My objective was to buy a less expensive Schon cue that played exactly like the 21 year old SL6. I recently bought a new STL4 and I can say it hits exactly like the SL6 which is what I wanted.

Neither of these cues are high end but the STL4 is lower than the SL6 and this illustrates to me that at least comparing the older SL and newer "budget" STL series, the quality and feel seems to be identical.

I don't worry about resale so much as I don't intend to sell them. You can find used Schon's on e-bay and various pool facebook pages. I use pre-cat 314 shafts with Kamui SS tips and really like how this combo plays. IMO much of the feel of the cue lies in the tip and the shaft and the possibilities there are endless.

Good luck