Tip Contact Location Difference between 9-Ball and 14.1

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of interesting (just for fun, not necessarily useful). Here is a comparison of 3 racks of 9-ball vs. 2 racks of 14.1, with exact tip placement recorded. Can you guess which one is which?

Note that each yellow dot represents the tip contact point on the cue ball, and NOT the center of the shaft. This is to eliminate the dependency of tip radius and diameter for all data sets. The same shaft was used for all shots (Revo 11.8).

The statistics in the upper right hand corners show the average cue ball speed, and the statistical deviation. The next line shows the "distance from center" given as percent radius of the ball, and statistical deviation. (The SD doesn't really apply much for %fC because the data is spread out).

nine-ball-straight-pool-comparison.png

Last edited:

Oikawa

I'm guessing the left image is 9-ball, since there's more draw used and more "extreme" side compared to the right image.

However, the right image has a higher average cue ball speed, which would be more likely for 9-ball. Hard to guess which is which.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing the left image is 9-ball, since there's more draw used and more "extreme" side compared to the right image.

However, the right image has a higher average cue ball speed, which would be more likely for 9-ball. Hard to guess which is which.
Yes this is correct

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't Larry!
I think that this thread may answer your questions about usability better.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So now you know as the weaker player you were more inaccurate and hit the ball harder and missed more balls than the better player….duh
HOW DOES THIS MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER?
HOW DOES THIS FIX WHATS WRONG?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just data that the individual can use if said individual bothers to analyze and correlate to said individual's abilities.
General FI, tiny marks in a group trigger connection with several overcooked shots. Epiphany: I'm hitting too high on those... etc..

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
How I get my feedback is betting my money against an equal player to see if I get the Cheese!

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does the player fix it?
To fix it the player practices like he would anyway. This product gives more information to help make his practicing more efficient. There is no such thing as a magic bullet. The DigiBall is a tool, not a fix.

Here is the difference between a 524 and 610 Fargo rate player. The lower ranked player know knows that his tip accuracy needs improvement, whereas before he could blame a hundred other things for his misses.

Fixing it is personal and requires work. There is no hand holding. It works the same way traditional practice balls do that have been around for 50 years, only this one is way more accurate and easy to use than looking at chalk marks on balls.

I hope this answers your question 😊

IMG_3400.png

Last edited:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How I get my feedback is betting my money against an equal player to see if I get the Cheese!
So you are just against practicing in general? It is better to divide and conquer, and practice smartly. I would feel sorry for any of your students.

From past conversations you have already told me that you are against technology and academia in pool because you are threatened by it. That’s ok, I understand.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
It is better to divide and conquer, and practice smartly. I would feel sorry for any of your students.

From past conversations you have already told me that you are against technology and academia in pool because you are threatened by it. That’s ok, I understand.
Don't feel sorry for Moi. BTW, I was searching for your accolades in the cue games, maybe I need a more defined search.

Pool Geeks like yourself are good at, creating/inventing like guys that come up with New & Improved fishing lures. Gimmicks!
But actual fishing/playing/application not so much.

BTW, about 20-25 years ago I believe it was SI that came out with a stat about, "What sport sells the most items/accessories for a particular sport."

I thought like many others, it has to be Golf #1. Nope! It was, Fishing #1. Well Golf has to be #2, Nope! Pool/Billiards over Golf which came in #3.

Last edited:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't feel sorry for Moi. BTW, I was searching for your accolades in the cue games, maybe I need a more defined search.

Pool Geeks like yourself are good at, creating/inventing like guys that come up with New & Improved fishing lures. Gimmicks!
But actual fishing/playing/application not so much.
Well, your point is correct. A lot of people have created a lot of billiard gimmicks that turn out not to be useful, so I don’t blame you for being skeptical. But you are deliberately dismissing based on that generalization, which is a bit ignorant.

You can’t be both a world pro and an advanced engineer, there aren’t enough life hours to achieve both. But you don’t need to be a pro in order to understand how people learn pool, in fact engineers are much better at knowing how to learn than most. Geeks like myself are the best you are going to get, but from the feedback of products I have released in the past 7 years it is clear I am on the right track and that I stand above the gimmick bar. That literally is an accolade.

I’ve had this conversation with you before so this will be the last thing I say on the matter, Mr. Bill.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there many ways this could be a great tool...tip contact, especially at speed while practicing the break, for one.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I think there many ways this could be a great tool...tip contact, especially at speed while practicing the break, for one.
Possibly, if one were to grab from a crowd on the street within a group of neophyte people between ages 23-30, (techies) they would find the, (data) interesting. But to No final result.