Tip Contact Location Difference between 9-Ball and 14.1

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Partner up with a University or sport academy. They might be interested in the data?
Exactly. https://www.sportsengineering.org/

I think the "old grumpies" here would be appaled that this organization even exists. "How dare nerds get involved in sports!!!" 🤓

1709669476056.png

Last edited:

DaWizard

Also maybe contact some pro players that take their training very serious.
Maybe in change for your products they are willing to help build trainingtools? Or speak about it on social media.

DrDave might have ideas as well on how to take the next step from raw data to > helpful trainingtool.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of interesting (just for fun, not necessarily useful). Here is a comparison of 3 racks of 9-ball vs. 2 racks of 14.1, with exact tip placement recorded. Can you guess which one is which?

Note that each yellow dot represents the tip contact point on the cue ball, and NOT the center of the shaft. This is to eliminate the dependency of tip radius and diameter for all data sets. The same shaft was used for all shots (Revo 11.8).

The statistics in the upper right hand corners show the average cue ball speed, and the statistical deviation. The next line shows the "distance from center" given as percent radius of the ball, and statistical deviation. (The SD doesn't really apply much for %fC because the data is spread out).

View attachment 746941
Take my money. Seriously, this is amazing.

I would reach out to Mark Wilson if I were you. He always talks about hitting the microdot. This shows you exactly what he is talking about.

Do you have to position it a certain way or does it figure out center on it's own?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if would be interesting to me if he was trying to hit center ball on all his shots.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take my money. Seriously, this is amazing.

I would reach out to Mark Wilson if I were you. He always talks about hitting the microdot. This shows you exactly what he is talking about.

Do you have to position it a certain way or does it figure out center on it's own?
It figures it out on its own. It is one of the things that makes it so accurate, it uses gravity as a reference vector.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if would be interesting to me if he was trying to hit center ball on all his shots.
This is another interesting thing you can do. Do you realize how hard it is to hit exactly on center at 6:00, within the minute? I am going to make it a carnival game at the Super Billiards Expo, pay a dollar for a try to win some prize.

I would like to eventually make videos of everything you can do with it, but right now I have no time. I am hoping customers will end up doing this for me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It figures it out on its own. It is one of the things that makes it so accurate, it uses gravity as a reference vector.
I assume it rolls true and weighs the same as an actual CB? Can you see immediate results for each shot?

Of course it isn't meant to teach you how to fix your issues - but adding accurate and immediate feedback must speed up improvement (and expand knowledge).

pj
chgo

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume it rolls true and weighs the same as an actual CB? Can you see immediate results for each shot?

Of course it isn't meant to teach you how to fix your issues - but adding accurate and immediate feedback must speed up improvement (and expand knowledge).

pj
chgo
168g, exact same manufacturing process and spherocity as an Aramith ball. The sensor is designed to withstand the entire baking and grinding process used for normal balls.

Surprisingly I think some people expect the ball to tell you how to fix your inaccuracy, which is probably impossible to do. It would be like a target practice paper telling you that you need to slow down your heartbeat and stand more squarely.

But that is essentially one thing the DigiBall can do. Be a virtual target practice paper.

The other thing I really like about it, is just playing racks of nine ball and trying to match the o’clock in my head to the result. Super good for my PSR.

zetetikos

The value add in this product for me is seeing where i am adding unintentional spin or hitting lower or higher on the cue ball than I intended, especially with the instant feedback provided by having it sync to a tv or phone that i can look up at after each shot. I've fixed similar issues in my stroke without the device but it required time consuming activities like making sure the training ball(stripe or rempe) was lined up exactly right, over chalking and checking where my chalk mark was at, this is a more efficient training tool to solve the same problem, which makes my learning faster.

It doesn't fix the problem, but it gives me the data to retrain my brain to hit where I intend too. When I was hitting higher on the ball than I intended, my coach (multiple mosconi cup player) had me aim much lower than I was previously to correct the problem and is of the belief that the brain eventually rewires itself to autofix the problem and my experience has been that he is correct.

I cant wait for this product and definitely see its value, i will be purchasing day 1 and incorpating it into my training methods as will my coach, both for himself and his other students.

Last edited:

gerryf

Strange to try to sell something with absolutely no description of what it is and what it does.

Chris Henry is a sports coach and developed these for snooker, but then produced a set for pool.

These weigh about 12% of the normal weight and have slightly thicker plastic on one spot. You put it on the table, and it will settle with the thicker spot down. Then you try and shoot it into a long corner pocket. If you hit it even a hair off-centre, it will deflect and you'll miss.

Like trying to shoot with a snooker-sized ping-pong ball.

Here's one of the videos he did when they first came out.

Chris Henry - The Balls (on BBC)

I've tried them and they do work as advertised. But I think the Digiball will have a lot more useful information.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't released yet. "If you build it, they will come."

I am sorry but this isn't correct. You can't just master the up-down shot and then apply it to the rest of the game for all spin possibilites. It isn't how learning works. You need to individually practice all types of shots. You don't know for sure if you eiher aimed wrong or were inaccurate with your stroke. That is where the product can help. Training balls have been available for decades and this is just an improved version of it.

What do you want it to say? "You have a lot of variation in your tip accuracy, so you need to do more front squats to improve your hip flexors for stability. Also add raw beets and carrots to your smoothies in the morning to boost your immune system and vision clarity."?? Self-learning is self-learning.

What’s your fargorate bro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Chris Henry is a sports coach and developed these for snooker, but then produced a set for pool.

These weigh about 12% of the normal weight and have slightly thicker plastic on one spot. You put it on the table, and it will settle with the thicker spot down. Then you try and shoot it into a long corner pocket. If you hit it even a hair off-centre, it will deflect and you'll miss.

Like trying to shoot with a snooker-sized ping-pong ball.

Here's one of the videos he did when they first came out.

Chris Henry - The Balls (on BBC)

I've tried them and they do work as advertised. But I think the Digiball will have a lot more useful information.

I have a set and your summary is totally accurate. I buy crap from pros when I can. Tyler and his wife have videos on their social media channels showing the drills they do with them.

The goal post is my favorite drill where you put the weighted cue ball at the head spot, a regular object ball at the foot spot, and try to cue so the cue ball bounces off the object ball and returns back to the tip (or within the two center diamonds).

You can do this with regular balls of course, but it’s a lot harder and more fun with the weighted ball. I discovered that what I thought was center OB was slightly off so the balls can help redefine that point (that’s what the Chris Henry videos teach).

No improvement in my overall play of course, but a good lesson in the difference that small changes make in pool.

I will buy the digiball when it comes out.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member