Tip Tools

CUE-TOOLS.COM

We are CUE-TOOLS.COM
When it comes to tip tools there seems to be a 50/50 split on this forum between sandpaper and permanent grit. Sandpaper shapes better and clogs less (IMHO) that is why every cue maker and repair guy uses sandpaper to shape tips on a lathe.... but you do have to replace it from time to time. Permanent grit usually isn't too "permanent" and seems to clog with leather "build-up" and or gets dull over time. Most people love the Ultimate tool but don't love to replace the sandpaper. What are the things that bother you most about the current tip shapers on the market? The more feedback I get the better tools we can develop. I currently have tools that use sandpaper and or have machined "teeth" for shaping. If a company that sold these tools supplied extra sandpapers with each tool would that help? Maybe a supply of free sandpapers allotted to each dealer to give away to people that buy these tools from their stores? I know as a retail store owner I will gladly give every one of you free sandpaper inserts just to get you to walk into my store! Please feel free to comment or PM me. All feedback is welcome...good and bad! Help me help you! THANKS
Check out our website for pictures and info about all of the CUE-TOOLS products.

Last edited:

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the resident go-go-gadget poolplayer I like your site and most of your tools seem like they would work.

The concept of the BAT shaper is definitely interesting while giving you a portable bridge at the same time. I would probably consider it myself but I already have enough tools.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Well here is my $.02
The sand paper does a better job than the "life time" tools that I have tried.
I have never tried your tools so that is not pointed to you.
I love gadgets. I can't help it :grin:
What I would like to see in a too is 3 different radius options.
A nickle, dime, and one in bettween.
Now if this will be a life time gadget, I think the tool needs to do a better job of sanding. It probably takes me 2x longer with a life time tool. Also to avoid clogging at the bottoom of the tool I would like to see some holes at the bottom for the leather to fall out of.
Like most players I have my tip tool in my hand at the table. To mess around with a clogged tip tool is not what I want to do. I will use a tool I can count on and focus on that math at hand.

When you come up with your new tool let me know I am pretty sure I will try one out. Like I said, I love gadgets!

CUE-TOOLS.COM

We are CUE-TOOLS.COM
Well here is my $.02
The sand paper does a better job than the "life time" tools that I have tried.
I have never tried your tools so that is not pointed to you.
I love gadgets. I can't help it :grin:
What I would like to see in a too is 3 different radius options.
A nickle, dime, and one in bettween.
Now if this will be a life time gadget, I think the tool needs to do a better job of sanding. It probably takes me 2x longer with a life time tool. Also to avoid clogging at the bottoom of the tool I would like to see some holes at the bottom for the leather to fall out of.
Like most players I have my tip tool in my hand at the table. To mess around with a clogged tip tool is not what I want to do. I will use a tool I can count on and focus on that math at hand.

When you come up with your new tool let me know I am pretty sure I will try one out. Like I said, I love gadgets!

I have a lot of ideas for new tools. I will try to drill some holes in a tool to see if it prevents clogging or maybe some slots... I usually use a wire brush to remove the leather build up but I know nobody wants to carry a wire brush in their bag. You should not have to shape your tip too often so if you make sure your shaper isn't clogged before you go out you should have no problems. I really only see them clog if used on a lathe or after many uses without cleaning.
I always include extra sandpaper disks with all of my tools that use sandpaper. One thing you can try (what I do personally) is shape tip with the dime radius then use the nickel radius lightly afterward to take off a little of the roundness. Maybe I'll be the first to offer Nickel, Dime and Penny radius shapers! I offer both sandpaper on some tools (my personal preference) and also make some tools with permanent "teeth" that way I feel I offer something for everyone. I am working on developing a multi-tool that will trim a mushroom, shape, aerate, burnish and sell for $20 or less. It will not be easy to meet all of the above.... but I'm trying :) This tool will have to be injection molded plastic with a metal trimming blade and since it is plastic (to keep cost down) it will have replaceable sandpaper shapers. I have an idea how to incorporate the "Penny" radius also. The line of tools we currently make went over so well at the BCA Trade Expo I sold out almost all of what I had in stock! Give us 3-6 months and we'll have a cue holder (already in production) like no other on the market and 2-3 other unique original tools. THANK YOU for your feedback and keep the ideas coming... I'll take all feedback good and bad so we can continue to improve our product line.