Tips for carbon fiber shafts

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it necessary to use a soft tip on a Cuetec Cynergy shaft? I read somewhere that only a soft tip should be used due to warranty?

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could very well be thinking of the pad on the Predator shaft. I thought I read something about the tip hardness somewhere though?

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it necessary to use a soft tip on a Cuetec Cynergy shaft? I read somewhere that only a soft tip should be used due to warranty?
From my point of view, screw the warranty. A hard tip on my Cynergy sounded like a little league baseball game. The biggest difference came from a Tomahawk ferrule and an US soft tip install. Cuetec needs to offer a better ferrule option.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip preference is up to you. Your playing with it.
The ferrule or I should say, what you think is a ferrule is about the softest I've seen yet.
Stroke bottom and slide across the felt, you'll get burn marks.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the Cuetec Cynergy comes with a medium Sniper tip. I have been using the Everest tip on my Revos for over a year with no problems and Everest is in the harder spectrum of mediums.

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip preference is up to you. Your playing with it.
The ferrule or I should say, what you think is a ferrule is about the softest I've seen yet.
Stroke bottom and slide across the felt, you'll get burn marks.
Must be the pad on the predator shafts I that I confused with the tips. As always, "Thank You", Michael. I'll have to stop in again after Christmas. Have a wonderful Christmas my friend!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must be the pad on the predator shafts I that I confused with the tips. As always, "Thank You", Michael. I'll have to stop in again after Christmas. Have a wonderful Christmas my friend!
Your always welcome here Mike.
Happy Holidays

Zerksies

You can't go wrong with tip hardness choice on a CF shaft. I'm using a hard tip on my break shaft and a soft on my player.

baalpeteor

The fact that the #1 ranked player in the US and spokesperson for Cuetec (SVB) uses a HOW MEDIUM last I heard, I doubt Cuetec would let him use something that voids their warranty. As I remember, someone in this forum bragged about getting Fedor Gorst in trouble for using a non-stock Cuetec Cue (modified ferrule or likes), so it seems they like to keep their sponsored players' stock which I'm sure helps with sales.
I use a HOW Medium myself on a Cynergy, and find it perfect. But I also play with an Elkmaster on my maple, as at the end of the day it's really all about table time and skill, not what you're playing with. I have friends who won't bring a cue in the hall and successfully hustle with house cues in the worse condition all day.

I have been using the Everest tip on my Revos for over a year with no problems and Everest is in the harder spectrum of mediums.
Is predator still not allowing players to own their cues? I mean, voiding the warranty if anyone other than Predator (or the few if any authorized dealers) changes the tip? Only reason I won't ever touch one. I like to change my own tips, maybe get a Tomahawk ferrule. Can't with a predator.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the Cuetec Cynergy comes with a medium Sniper tip. I have been using the Everest tip on my Revos for over a year with no problems and Everest is in the harder spectrum of mediums.
Correct, and to add, I don't think Sniper is available as anything other than "Medium". It's a perfect tip on my Cynergy.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct, and to add, I don't think Sniper is available as anything other than "Medium". It's a perfect tip on my Cynergy.
Just like all Cues and Shafts, and tips for that matter, there's not ONE that suits every player!
When it comes to Ferrules/vault plates, there are varieties available for those who take the time to learn the differences!

Reactions: bbb

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that the #1 ranked player in the US and spokesperson for Cuetec (SVB) uses a HOW MEDIUM last I heard, I doubt Cuetec would let him use something that voids their warranty. As I remember, someone in this forum bragged about getting Fedor Gorst in trouble for using a non-stock Cuetec
An Asshole, will always find joy in being an Asshole. There's no getting around it.
Is predator still not allowing players to own their cues? I mean, voiding the warranty if anyone other than Predator (or the few if any authorized dealers) changes the tip? Only reason I won't ever touch one. I like to change my own tips, maybe get a Tomahawk ferrule. Can't with a predator.
I don't speak for Predator but I sure do respect them.
I don't think the problem of just replacing your tip voids the warranty. I could be wrong.
The silencer pads and vault plates are a totally different thing.
From what I've seen repairing them, I think it's a great decision not to give out the silencer pads.
Companies have spent fortunes in developing thier products. How can you not respect that.
But......
You can always buy the blanks and offer your own line.
They're available and trust me,
Some guys are stealing!
Sub standard parts, no fillers, Drop a drill bit in one side and it slides all the way to the other end, sought of ferrules.
But People. Lmao
Hear C/F and say.
Hey... It's cheaper, it's c/f, it must be good.
Hahahahahahahaha!

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Replacing the tips on the Predator Revo's does not void the warranty. Seybert's, a Predator warranty dealer, has been doing that since the Revo came out. As Michael stated, silencer pads and vault plates are a different story. For that matter, that would void the warranty on every major manufacturer of carbon fiber shafts, not just Predator.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like all Cues and Shafts, and tips for that matter, there's not ONE that suits every player!
When it comes to Ferrules/vault plates, there are varieties available for those who take the time to learn the differences!
Oh I agree Mike, just pointing out that Sniper comes in only one hardness, some say it's about Medium. I will also mention that when I ordered my Cynergy the Sniper was the DEFAULT choice, though there was a long list of others available, all for an upcharge of course.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh I agree Mike, just pointing out that Sniper comes in only one hardness, some say it's about Medium. I will also mention that when I ordered my Cynergy the Sniper was the DEFAULT choice, though there was a long list of others available, all for an upcharge of course.
I'm guessing there is a deal in place on the choice of Sniper tips being used. They're ok.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing there is a deal in place on the choice of Sniper tips being used. They're ok.
I'm not saying they are better than anything else. There was an earlier post about soft tips and warranty so I was speaking to that primarily, and the fact that Seyberts will put anything on it and has many choices when someone orders, so that kinda blows the warranty claim away. I have had Snipers on several different shafts over the years and they are as you say, ok, though I must say I like it better on the CF Cuetec shaft than I have on anything else I've had them on. There is the possibility that the shaft makes most any tip seem a bit better. I also like the CF shaft better than any other shaft I ever had.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a McDermott. I just got a new tip put on and found a little wobble in the shaft which I hadn't noticed before. I was looking at the Defy and it says to only have the tip replaced by a pro or sent back to McDermott. Why is this?
I use ultraskin's and they are not shown as an option on the Defy,

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a McDermott. I just got a new tip put on and found a little wobble in the shaft which I hadn't noticed before. I was looking at the Defy and it says to only have the tip replaced by a pro or sent back to McDermott. Why is this?
I use ultraskin's and they are not shown as an option on the Defy,
That's a good question.
Ask McDermott if you will?
Then post what they say.
That's how most of us know the policies of those we know about.
I can tell you people have had problems with the finish on the defy shaft but I don't think I've read anything about the tip replacement.
ALL c/f shafts require a little more attention to detail installing tips than on standard wood shafts but that usually means more about how it's held in the lathe.
Jmo

Last edited: