Today's purchase TAD & Josey

At the point in which I hit that cue I already determined that it would probably be the last Josey cue I ever purchased. What is Keith going to do? Change the hit of my cue? You started this by telling me how the solid "thud" was the way a cue was supposed to play. So be it. That's your "knowledge". Mine might be a little different. I am a player. Not a maker or designer and Keith is not my friend and I don't subscribe to cliques. I have seen your posts and watched you try to walk over people for there designs. I like to be on here for the information. Like I said in my posts I have been on a Hiatus for a while for various reasons. To be perfectly honest I didn't take my ques out of the closet for 10 years. Not even to hold them. I have been playing since I was 7. I have had to re-learn EVERYTHING. Since then my eyes have changed (glasses and such). In my prime I was playing about 7 tournaments a week. Monday tourney, Wednesday league Thursday tournament, Saturday 2 tournaments running one and Sunday ran and played a tourney also. Not to mention practice. Even with all that I didn't have the time to dedicate to becoming a top listed player. Now don't kid yourself, I am not exactly a novice at this and throughout my years I have owned a many, many cues! Still own a dozen. I play them all. I have played others cues that I didn't own and have shot many nice cues and many more not so nice. I will admit telling someone to there face that there cue plays bad when they spent money on it is not as easy as saying a cue plays bad on this forum. So maybe I don't or haven't played in your little playground here on AZ but, it doesn't mean I don't have knowledge or credentials. I am just not the type to go throwing names out like you obviously like to do. Now don't feel bad. Bragging and wining in pool is more common than not. It goes with the territory. So I get you. As much as my forward approach to how I feel about the cue might have been, how do you say...overly agressive? So be it. The only reason it is was is because that's how disappointed I was in this cue. That's the only volume I need to speak. I did apologize for being rough on the review but like I said it was because of my disappointment. Now the fact that you know and do work for Keith is admirable but has no bearing on fact that in "my opinion" (which holds just as much water as yours) this cue doesn't play well. Pool cues, strokes and other are all subjective. I hear people talk all the time about the terrible stroke Efren has yet the man can shoot the buttons off your shirt. So maybe he stroke is right and everyone else's is wrong? All subjective.

Now being taken care of is really not that big a deal at this point. I already have a bad taste. So I blew some bucks. Not that big a deal. Trust me it's not. Last thing I needed was to hear from a non-objective friend of Keith's telling me how little I know about pool. You haven't even played with this cue so you really have no point of reference. What I can tell you is I was discussing it with others and the general theroy or comment was that I quote "yeah, that's how you can tell a good cue maker by the way they can make a plain Jane Birdseye maple player cue play". This was echoed more than once. Maybe this lower end cue does not play as well as Josey others. I have no other reference. This is the first Josey I have ever hit. So let that be a lesson to others. Don't buy until you hit it. This particular distributor won't let me do that. I will send you the response from this distributor so you can see what your "knowledge" in this business is. It was just what I suspected.

The cue doesn't play well. And if it makes you feel better it doesn't play well FOR ME!

Last edited:
Response from distributor

I already knew this. Surprised you didn't with all you're "knowledge".

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
At the point in which I hit that cue I already determined that it would probably be the last Josey cue I ever purchased. What is Keith going to do? Change the hit of my cue? You started this by telling me how the solid "thud" was the way a cue was supposed to play. So be it. That's your "knowledge". Mine might be a little different. I am a player. Not a maker or designer and Keith is not my friend and I don't subscribe to cliques. I have seen your posts and watched you try to walk over people for there designs. I like to be on here for the information. Like I said in my posts I have been on a Hiatus for a while for various reasons. To be perfectly honest I didn't take my ques out of the closet for 10 years. Not even to hold them. I have been playing since I was 7. I have had to re-learn EVERYTHING. Since then my eyes have changed (glasses and such). In my prime I was playing about 7 tournaments a week. Monday tourney, Wednesday league Thursday tournament, Saturday 2 tournaments running one and Sunday ran and played a tourney also. Not to mention practice. Even with all that I didn't have the time to dedicate to becoming a top listed player. Now don't kid yourself, I am not exactly a novice at this and throughout my years I have owned a many, many cues! Still own a dozen. I play them all. I have played others cues that I didn't own and have shot many nice cues and many more not so nice. I will admit telling someone to there face that there cue plays bad when they spent money on it is not as easy as saying a cue plays bad on this forum. So maybe I don't or haven't played in your little playground here on AZ but, it doesn't mean I don't have knowledge or credentials. I am just not the type to go throwing names out like you obviously like to do. Now don't feel bad. Bragging and wining in pool is more common than not. It goes with the territory. So I get you. As much as my forward approach to how I feel about the cue might have been, how do you say...overly agressive? So be it. The only reason it is was is because that's how disappointed I was in this cue. That's the only volume I need to speak. I did apologize for being rough on the review but like I said it was because of my disappointment. Now the fact that you know and do work for Keith is admirable but has no bearing on fact that in "my opinion" (which holds just as much water as yours) this cue doesn't play well. Pool cues, strokes and other are all subjective. I hear people talk all the time about the terrible stroke Efren has yet the man can shoot the buttons off your shirt. So maybe he stroke is right and everyone else's is wrong? All subjective.

Now being taken care of is really not that big a deal at this point. I already have a bad taste. So I blew some bucks. Not that big a deal. Trust me it's not. Last thing I needed was to hear from a non-objective friend of Keith's telling me how little I know about pool. You haven't even played with this cue so you really have no point of reference. What I can tell you is I was discussing it with others and the general theroy or comment was that I quote "yeah, that's how you can tell a good cue maker by the way they can make a plain Jane Birdseye maple player cue play". This was echoed more than once. Maybe this lower end cue does not play as well as Josey others. I have no other reference. This is the first Josey I have ever hit. So let that be a lesson to others. Don't buy until you hit it. This particular distributor won't let me do that. I will send you the response from this distributor so you can see what your "knowledge" in this business is. It was just what I suspected.

The cue doesn't play well. And if it makes you feel better it doesent play well FOR ME!

Yours being the only type review here AND anywhere else for that matter, eludes to you maybe not being one to decide play-abilty... Keith cues are known for the way they play..BY EVERYONE that owns one. Could it have been a bad cue? NO...PERIOD..He checks the pla-yability of every cue before it leaves the shop. Maybe, in a long shot, YOUR cue was damaged in some way. MAYBE... If that was the case then without hesitation you should have called Keith BEFORE YOUR REVIEW and he would have told you to send it to him to find out. If it was found to be less than "sound", it would have been repaired and made to be "Josey Ready"..If the info you received about a plain maple cue determining a great playable cue was correct, Keith's would have proved it....

By the way, I "play" a little too... Let me know when you're in the Chicago area and we'll test that...

I have concluded you are just an ass monkey. You have wasted time and efforts all because you have a friend. Scram. If in Chicago I will look you up. Although getting shot for my cue on the way to the room is not going to be part of my agenda. Enjoy the troll life and good luck with your designs.

Nice work with the caps BTW..certainly got your points across. Women shout a lot also when they feel the they are not heard.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I have concluded you are just an ass monkey. You have wasted time and efforts all because you have a friend. Scram. If in Chicago I will look you up. Although getting shot for my cue on the way to the room is not going to be part of my agenda. Enjoy the troll life and good luck with your designs.

Nice work with the caps BTW..certainly got your points across. Women shout a lot also when they feel the hey are not heard.

LOL...(Chicago).>> Bang Bang right..HAHA..TOO FUNNY... Yeah I would expect a little back pedaling from someone who can't put up...

"ass monkey"..:rolleyes: Yeah that's the way someone at your age (40 years playing pool) talks. How mature.. Your review was less than knowledgeable and you're proving your ignorance of not only the craft but fear of of the game as well by your responses..

As I've said before send the cue back and move on...

Let me know where YOU are and if I'm ever close I'll save you the RISK of "getting shot"...LOL

Tell you what...want to call me? Playing ping pong with a Someone's girlfriend is not my style. If you have something else to say or expecting me to respond differently to you then I would be happy to do so rather than watch you try to grab traction for an argument that you have no skin in (no pun intended) other than to protect your money source and friend.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Tell you what...want to call me? Playing ping pong with a Simone's girlfriend is not my style. If you have something else to say or expecting me to respond differently to you then I would be happy to do so rather than watch you try to grab traction for an argument that you have no skin in (no pun intended) other than to protect your money source and friend.

Pm sent....

JoeyC71176

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith is recovering from knee replacement. He has been out of the shop for a little while. I know his wife has been a little slow getting back since they are doing little/limited time in the shop. I am sure they will get back to you

Well, there is an ending to this story. I will get into the details later about how this entire thing panned out. In the meantime here is what I picked up today. I will shoot with it later. For those of you that pay attention to details you will notice that the cloth background of my table in the original pics was green. Here you see a fresh tournament blue. Everytime I decide to recover a table (mine or other) I forget what a monumental pain it is. Especially if you have to re-level the 3 piece slate. Which I removed in order to move the table over a few inches in each direction. That's right. Since I already had the table broken down I figured I might as well. That might have been a huge mistake. It's taken me 2 days and I worked till 6 this morning getting the bed recovered. Before I play this cue I need to finish the rails. As if that isn't enough work I am tightening up these pockets. So maybe by tonight I will have this table back together and see how this new beauty plays. Turning up the music and going to work!

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2820.jpg
    IMG_2820.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 121
So here is the conclusion to this story. The distributor was willing to take the cue back but, since the cue had been chalked (one shaft) he would have to charge a restocking fee. I really didn't want to put the distributor or myself through this. I went through the process to do diligence to all involved. Shortly after Sherri from Josey cues returned my email. She handled my situation with professionalism and arranged with the distributor to give me a full refund. I won't get into the details of what transpired to protect the integrity of this cue and trust me it's not over, but never the less the cue was returned and after I added another $800 for a Gilbert cue (see pictures) I ended up with what was an intended replacement player cue. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread this was an intended replacement for a cue I wanted to send in for a refinish. I would have been without my long time friend for approximately 6 months. Walking into a local room with my more expensive and flashy cues was not something I wanted to do. Done it before and you have to watch them like a hawk. Just going to the bathroom becomes an uncomfortable experience and I usually have to ask the facility to hold them behind the counter. It's rediculous that anyone should have to do this but it's the world we live in. Now this Gilbert is my replacement player cue while I comfortably send my other in. I didn't want to spend a $1600 MSRP for this purpose but, under the circumstances it's the way it went.

I find it unfortunate that a certain member whom had no financial investment in this cue decided to perpetuate this post to the point in which 800 people and counting have read what was otherwise a fairly mundane post other than some colorful wording to describe the cue. The result was drawing WAY too much attention to the very thing he was arguing to begin with. This post would have died a quick death had he not been so protective and maybe a little more objective. The post was already falling quickly down the list and few would have paid attention. They will furthermore do there own review of this cue making it even worse. As "skins" pointed out, I am a newbie to this forum so my opinion holds little weight. Or does it? I will let you all decide. At this point no matter what the perception of the cue is once they get it back in there hands, the one thing I will tell you is that I will be wrong. That I can assure you. I am willing to accept that outcome. It is what it is. I personally know better.

Now I have started to review the Gilbert replacement. In order to not draw anymore attention to this thread I started another one and will review it separately.