Tom Ferry (Old Has Been) Has Passed

girlwon1

Silver Member
I am glad I had gotten a chance to meet Tom at the AZ room this year. He will be sorely missed. RIP OHB.

Here is a picture taken by Diana Hoppe of how happy Tom was at the AZ room this year. He is the man in the hat in the back. A special thanks to all of those that helped make that happen.

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was sad and shocked to hear the tragic news about OHB. He was one of my favorite posters here in our AZ family, his wealth of knowledge and stories was seemingly endless. My deepest condolensces go out to his family.

KingCarom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish he could read this thread, the tear it would bring to his eye.

Rest In Peace Good ol' Tom! You will be missed here!

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Thanks to all........

Hello everyone - This is OHB's wife yesterday one of Tom's friend called me and told me to get on this site which I knew he wrote many of stories and he even told me of the stories and how he would love to write to all of you . He enjoyed passing the time on this site and shooting "the bull" like he would say.

Tom Ferry "Old Has Been" was loved by many and the out pour of this site is also proof more than I ever knew. I knew he was loved but reading these posts just shows even more. I and our two children, Tommy and Katie what you all to know how much we appriciate your thoughtfulness and how much you care for him..

Just to let you all know a little bit more about this man, Tom Ferry, he was a man who never wantd anyone to feel sorry for him -- That is why he never really told too many people about the agonizing cancer he had. It was a killer and terminal cancer.
He was diagnosed in July, 2005 and was in the last stages of it. He was given 6 months to live. But he was determined to to make it to the DCC and also the MO State Tournament and actually won it!!! He one of hell of a great man. I have been with him 30 years.
Tom Ferry stay at home and never went to the hospital. I and our children promised him that we would take care of him til his dying day and we did. He was surrounded by us on that last day and die with the dignity he well deserved in our dining room he no longer could get upstairs(where the bedrooms are) so our dining room turn into a make shift hospital room.
Tom Ferry left us for that poolroom in the sky or maybe that gin game either way he is definitely in a better place than us. I told him on that last day that when the time for me to leave this world to pulled me through fast because I truelly miss him.
Tom Ferry left this world on Aprill 11th , Tuesday at 5:33pm when his little girl finally said good bye to her daddy. He smiled , took his last breathe and drop his head to his shoulders we held his hand wish him all our love and kiss him for the last time. He will be trully missed by many.
Many of his friend and neighbors stopped by before we let the body leave our house. He donated his body to science at Washington University School of Medicine in hope to find cures for someone else ( he was like that you know)
We are all still dealing with his loss but we all know in time we were so lucky to have had this man touch our lives.
Thank you again.

Tom Ferry "Old Has Been's wife and his two children Tommy And Katie
God bless you all. Have a Happy Easter. Tom will be celebrating in heaven with all the angels.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
My sympathies go out to OHB's family and friends! He was a true character. I thoroughly enjoyed his posts and stories! We'll certainly miss him...

Steve

etimmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ohb

I Just men Tom at the DCC this year, we talked pool and the past tournaments. I went to Johnson city, the last one and we talked about the older players and how they faired against todays players. Tom told me he did not have much energy and was tired but never said he was sick. You don't have so spend a lot of time with someone to call them a friend and he will be missed.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Tom,

I'm sorry, I failed to see this thread until now. I just wanted to say that I once heard of our culture referred to as "the great conversation". A compilation of ideas, arguments, debates and contributions with the thought that there is a unified goal. You contributed to that conversation each and every day and for that, I just wanted to say thanks. Your devotion made this site much much better and there are plenty of pool players that will forever be grateful.

Until we meet again, best wishes and May G*d be with you.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
RIP Tom,i always enjoyed your post here and on onepocket.org,you had alot of great stories and info,a very friendly fellow who seemed very honest and always had good advice to offer,my condolences to OHBs family,im sure it wasnt an easy thing as it never is,i lost my grandmother whom i lived with a few months back to cancer and it was a tough experience but she along with OHB is in a better place without pain,without suffering,a pool table,some cards and old friends,heaven.......

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
Hello everyone - This is OHB's wife yesterday one of Tom's friend called me and told me to get on this site which I knew he wrote many of stories and he even told me of the stories and how he would love to write to all of you . He enjoyed passing the time on this site and shooting "the bull" like he would say.

Tom Ferry "Old Has Been" was loved by many and the out pour of this site is also proof more than I ever knew. I knew he was loved but reading these posts just shows even more. I and our two children, Tommy and Katie what you all to know how much we appriciate your thoughtfulness and how much you care for him..

Just to let you all know a little bit more about this man, Tom Ferry, he was a man who never wantd anyone to feel sorry for him -- That is why he never really told too many people about the agonizing cancer he had. It was a killer and terminal cancer.
He was diagnosed in July, 2005 and was in the last stages of it. He was given 6 months to live. But he was determined to to make it to the DCC and also the MO State Tournament and actually won it!!! He one of hell of a great man. I have been with him 30 years.
Tom Ferry stay at home and never went to the hospital. I and our children promised him that we would take care of him til his dying day and we did. He was surrounded by us on that last day and die with the dignity he well deserved in our dining room he no longer could get upstairs(where the bedrooms are) so our dining room turn into a make shift hospital room.
Tom Ferry left us for that poolroom in the sky or maybe that gin game either way he is definitely in a better place than us. I told him on that last day that when the time for me to leave this world to pulled me through fast because I truelly miss him.
Tom Ferry left this world on Aprill 11th , Tuesday at 5:33pm when his little girl finally said good bye to her daddy. He smiled , took his last breathe and drop his head to his shoulders we held his hand wish him all our love and kiss him for the last time. He will be trully missed by many.
Many of his friend and neighbors stopped by before we let the body leave our house. He donated his body to science at Washington University School of Medicine in hope to find cures for someone else ( he was like that you know)
We are all still dealing with his loss but we all know in time we were so lucky to have had this man touch our lives.
Thank you again.

God bless you all. Have a Happy Easter. Tom will be celebrating in heaven with all the angels.

Mrs. Ferry,

That is a beautiful post, befitting of the greatest of posters. There is not a dry eye in the house.

Truly, Tom was fortunate to have you and your family by his side. He faced death as he faced life, with courage and perseverance. Never could I respect Tom more than I do now. Thank you for your words.

All A-Zer's - can you post a little rep as a tribute for OHB, Mrs. Ferry, and Tom?

Chris

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so,
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure: then from thee much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell;
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

-- John Donne

barrett9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
passing of OHB

I haven't posted on here in months. But like the rest of us I feel the need to say something. With his passing comes a wealth of story telling and from what I have read in Tom's postings and from what others have written about him I can say these stories of the road... the players of days gone by are part of the lure that is pool. Pool is about it's history... People like Mr. Ferry are the ones that got all of us hooked on this wonderful game. The stories live forever... as do the memories. Rest in Peace

T

Timberly

Mrs. Ferry, thank you so much for coming on here and sharing with us. I went through something very similar a little over a yr ago and I know how difficult it was for you to sit down and type up a response to us. I'm pretty sure that I can speak for all of us when I say that we're very grateful to you for coming on here and sharing your thoughts with us.

Bless you all for taking on the task of keeping him home and taking care of him. Taking care of a sick loved one at home can be very difficult at times but that's what we do for those that we love. You and your family will always have the peace of mind that you made him happy, comfortable, and feeling very loved.

Tina thanks for finding that pic and posting it. That's the Tom that we met at Derby and that's the Tom that I'll always remember. LOL, did he ever take that hat off? ;)

semperfi

Registered
Tom Ferry DCC/AZ Billiards Room

Greg Sullivan just called me with the sad news of Tom's death. Our sincere condolences to his family. The post by Mrs. Ferry and the thread by Don Wardell aka Williebetmore speak volumes. Tom was a friend...his dignity and decorum I envy.

The AZ Billiards room at the DCC was an idea Tom first mentioned at the 2005 DCC. Shortly after it ended, he began his campaign for an AZ room through postings, emails, and eventually contacting Greg Sullivan and then Don Wardell. The AZ room at the 2006 DCC was the culmination of Tom's idea and an outstanding success. While acknowledging the fantastic job of planning and execution by Williebetmore, with help from Timberly, Ratchet, and others, Greg would like to do something to honor OHB. Any help we can provide. please contact Greg/Diamond, or me at onepocket@webtv.net

Thanks,
Mike

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have really enjoyed OHB's posts! I wished I could have met him! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Ferry family because I'm sure he left a huge void! He's probably giving some nit up there 9/6 and robbing him!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:

Thank you again.

Mrs. Ferry, Katie, and Tommy,
When Tom passed, the "Pool World" lost someone very special and someone very respected. He had become the "wise one" on this site and often settled arguments and heated discussions because more often than not of the respect many had for him.
There have been many discussions here about what it takes to be a good pool player and the one quality often overlooked is HEART.
Heart is a term used mostly by the old-timers to describe courage, guts, determination, and persaverance in many situations faced by pool players. In the "old days, it was the biggest compliment one could recieve.
Tom posessed much "heart" and wore it proudly. Just look at the way he lived and maybe more importantly, look at how he faced death.
We in the "pool world" have lost someone very special and feel very saddened by it, but, we can only imagine how sad you, his family must feel.
Please know, that we can appreciate your pain and loss and that we do realize how special Tom was.
God bless you all.

Last edited:

rukiddingme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My sincere condolences to Tom's family.
I would like to suggest that maybe the AZB DCC Room be permanently named in his honor. "The Tom Ferry AZB Billiard Room or the Old Has Been Billiard Lounge. It seems to me that that would be the right thing to do.
ruk