Tony Vs Dennis Chit Chat Thread

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought they both played terrific

Obviously the table played weird and gave both players fits trying to figure it out. Tony's years of experience helped him out and his courageous shot on the 14 ball caroming off the ball was sensational but extremely risky, but Tony made it and won the match the following game when the score was 38-38. People being critical of either or both are
totally out of line, tremendous pressure for both champions !!!!!!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When the whole world held their breath lol

Tony got out the way he got in....bravely.

IMG_4410.JPG

Them balls were flying....but TRex is built for moving furniture.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously the table played weird and gave both players fits trying to figure it out. Tony's years of experience helped him out and his courageous shot on the 14 ball caroming off the ball was sensational but extremely risky, but Tony made it and won the match the following game when the score was 38-38. People being critical of either or both are

Why would a state of the art Diamond table play weird? It plays like a Diamond and not like a GC but that does not make it weird.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Shultz asked, "How much of the take will Tony receive"

Only Tony and his people know for sure, but I'll make an educated guess for you.

I would guess that Tony's payout was between 15 to 20 thousand.

They won 50K -- If Tony is getting 30% that would put him at 15K. A player of his caliber could get a bigger slice, but only they know for sure.

Remember - If Tony lost he would have owed nothing !!

Last edited:

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep

I agree; there are some who are actually saying Dennis is not really good at 1Pocket after this match....LOL

My view of it was and is that either player could've won this match.....especially when it was at 38-38 and Tony took that unbelievably dangerous shot at the 14.....If there is a rematch, I don't think Tony has to be the favorite....they're pretty even, even considering both their strengths and weaknesses.....

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I think Dennis lost more than Tony won.

To me, Tony and Scott Frost have alot more in common than most point out. With their style of one pocket they take a lot of flyers, and if they go in the are geniuses, but if they miss they are goats. Tony shot alot of flyers, tons of flyers, but Dennis failed to capitalize on his errors.

Efren in his prime could give either of them a couple balls and maybe more.

Ken

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Where Dennis really lost the match was slipping so far behind those first couple of days. After that, he did fine.

Let's hope there is a rematch in the near future. Now maybe some people will bet on Tony. This match here had a serious lack of gambling support on his side.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well, I think Dennis lost more than Tony won.

To me, Tony and Scott Frost have alot more in common than most point out. With their style of one pocket they take a lot of flyers, and if they go in the are geniuses, but if they miss they are goats. Tony shot alot of flyers, tons of flyers, but Dennis failed to capitalize on his errors.

Efren in his prime could give either of them a couple balls and maybe more.

Ken
Efren would have beat them straight up or games on the wire.
More than 2 balls would be tough.
Nobody played two-way shots like Efren.
One very good player told me you had to work a ton for your count against Efren.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My overall evaluation of the match is that Dennis was not well prepared to play on this particular table and remained somewhat uncomfortable on it for the first two and half days, gradually getting the feel of it a little bit at a time. He was still behind by 5-6 games on day three when he seemed to find his stroke and his game. That's when I first saw him get loose and start to play his A game. He quickly closed the gap and ended the day only one game behind.

For all the world it looked like Tony was ripe to be had on day four. Many were saying that Tony would fold under the pressure. I didn't think that would be the case and I said so to several people, saying I didn't think Tony's game would go down and Dennis had to continue with his best pool, and he did! What was unexpected was that Tony would raise his game even higher, finding and shooting several remarkable shots that turned games around. Dennis helped him out by failing to run balls when he had the chance. Normally we would expect to see Dennis run seven or eight and out with an open table and this was not the case. He was running three, four and five and getting stuck. Even getting six balls ahead was no guarantee of a win. Tony would bank a ball off the end rail and tie the game up or go ahead in a blink of an eye.

In the end it was Tony's high caliber offense that took the day, Dennis waving the white flag and offering his hand. Dennis was a gracious loser and quietly packed his equipment while Tony basked in his victory. To their credit both men acted like true sportsmen throughout the four days. There was no whining or complaining, or even any talking while the other man was at the table. They were quiet (VERY QUIET) and serious, both intent on doing the best they possibly could. It was beautiful pool between two greats of the game.

I appreciate those who reached out to me and thanked me for my commentary. For those who would attempt to belittle me, I defy any of you to pick out on a television monitor the insane shots Tony found in the pack. It was Efrenesque the way he fooled everyone in the room, commentators included. I was literally stunned by some of the shots he pulled off. Also his ability to kick open balls toward his hole was mesmerizing as well. The way Tony banked with utter confidence and pocketed long difficult shots with ease left me in awe of his ability. Yet in spite of all Tony's numerous skills, Dennis found a way to battle him neck and neck to the end. If ever there was a match that calls for a rematch, this would be it. :thumbup2:

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
My overall evaluation of the match is that Dennis was not well prepared to play on this particular table and remained somewhat uncomfortable on it for the first two and half days, gradually getting the feel of it a little bit at a time. He was still behind by 5-6 games on day three when he seemed to find his stroke and his game. That's when I first saw him get loose and start to play his A game. He quickly closed the gap and ended the day only one game behind.

For all the world it looked like Tony was ripe to be had on day four. Many were saying that Tony would fold under the pressure. I didn't think that would be the case and I said so to several people, saying I didn't think Tony's game would go down and Dennis had to continue with his best pool, and he did! What was unexpected was that Tony would raise his game even higher, finding and shooting several remarkable shots that turned games around. Dennis helped him out by failing to run balls when he had the chance. Normally we would expect to see Dennis run seven or eight and out with an open table and this was not the case. He was running three, four and five and getting stuck. Even getting six balls ahead was no guarantee of a win. Tony would bank a ball off the end rail and tie the game up or go ahead in a blink of an eye.

In the end it was Tony's high caliber offense that took the day, Dennis waving the white flag and offering his hand. Dennis was a gracious loser and quietly packed his equipment while Tony basked in his victory. To their credit both men acted like true sportsmen throughout the four days. There was no whining or complaining, or even any talking while the other man was at the table. They were quiet (VERY QUIET) and serious, both intent on doing the best they possibly could. It was beautiful pool between two greats of the game.

I appreciate those who reached out to me and thanked me for my commentary. For those who would attempt to belittle me, I defy any of you to pick out on a television monitor the insane shots Tony found in the pack. It was Efrenesque the way he fooled everyone in the room, commentators included. I was literally stunned by some of the shots he pulled off. Also his ability to kick open balls toward his hole was mesmerizing as well. The way Tony banked with utter confidence and pocketed long difficult shots with ease left me in awe of his ability. Yet in spite of all Tony's numerous skills, Dennis found a way to battle him neck and neck to the end. If ever there was a match that calls for a rematch, this would be it. :thumbup2:

I was thinking if a rematch right away would be a good or bad thing. I like seeing them as a title fight. We judge our greatest champions on title defenses though...I think Tony has to battle someone else first and Dennis needs to take on someone else talented as well. Then in 4-5 months just in time for Christmas they clash again. Make a thing out of this...hell make us wait. Let them train and get even better...lastly don't jerk around with the table!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking if a rematch right away would be a good or bad thing. I like seeing them as a title fight. We judge our greatest champions on title defenses though...I think Tony has to battle someone else first and Dennis needs to take on someone else talented as well. Then in 4-5 months just in time for Christmas they clash again. Make a thing out of this...hell make us wait. Let them train and get even better...lastly don't jerk around with the table!

I like this idea too, make it like holding a title. After all Tony has the belt now. Mikey, you may know that this was a common practice in the Mosconi era, a worthy challenger would play Mosconi for the world title in a long match. Mosconi beat back these challengers time and time again, and this is how he is credited with so many world titles.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that's great, but what does lou think?

Haha.

You touched on something that I also noticed: a lot of 2-3 and then 4-6 score games. Dennis runs a lot more balls per inning, normally, than he did vs. tony.

An afternoon of him putting 8s 10s on tony might have changed the following days.

That said, tony stuck to his game plan and didn't miss but 1 open shot (that I saw) on the last day. Then he stepped up and took-TOOK- the win.

Incredible show, shame they couldn't both win.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree; there are some who are actually saying Dennis is not really good at 1Pocket after this match....LOL

My view of it was and is that either player could've won this match.....especially when it was at 38-38 and Tony took that unbelievably dangerous shot at the 14.....If there is a rematch, I don't think Tony has to be the favorite....they're pretty even, even considering both their strengths and weaknesses.....

I know he won a turney with his new cue but that was not one pocket where that margin for error is miniscule , he missed countless pretty elementary safes trying to draw back to the short rail and snug up against a ball ,he missed it time and time again even scratched a few times ,I've watched him play countless times on line and here in the area live he rarely misses that safe I'm not so sure he's 100 pct use to that cue yet ,,

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the size of the pockets for that table?

It seems that Dennis plays a bit better on gold crowns.

Having said that, tony came up huge in those last two games. I can hardly believe he shot that carom/combo. Very risky shot

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I know he won a turney with his new cue but that was not one pocket where that margin for error is miniscule , he missed countless pretty elementary safes trying to draw back to the short rail and snug up against a ball ,he missed it time and time again even scratched a few times ,I've watched him play countless times on line and here in the area live he rarely misses that safe I'm not so sure he's 100 pct use to that cue yet ,,

Yes it was 1 pckt

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watch again

In case you missed it, I think Dan left the entire 4th day match on the Youtube site, along with the post-match interview with T-Rex....so you can watch the replay.......nice classy move by Mr. Busch!

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I like this idea too, make it like holding a title. After all Tony has the belt now. Mikey, you may know that this was a common practice in the Mosconi era, a worthy challenger would play Mosconi for the world title in a long match. Mosconi beat back these challengers time and time again, and this is how he is credited with so many world titles.

Jay, I was lucky enough to see a decent portion of days 2-4 - thanks for your contribution to the event. Also, hats off to Daniel/POV pool, appreciate what he does for the sport - loving his streams. Started playing pool again a couple of months ago, been watching some of his footage from the last couple of years.....love the Efren 1pocket matches - even found a match of you and a guy from NC, I think. Good to see you mixing it up. Also re-read your original book the other day (avatar seems to support you having a something new, very cool)

The match between Tony and Dennis was amazing, those guys made it exciting and fun to watch. Sometime pool can be like watching paint dry - these guys were just the opposite. They were brave, aggressive, impressive.....add whatever superlatives you want, it was pool greatness.