Totally Different Eras of Cue-Making (GB & JR)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a couple of photos of the cue George Balabushka made for Willie Mosconi......NOT! and a "inspired" version of that same cue design I asked Jerry Rauenzahn to undertake.

I think Jerry did a splendid job and obviously, so did Mr. Balabushka. Hope you enjoy seeing two different styles of a similar design.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Mosconi Cue Forearm.jpg
    Mosconi Cue Forearm.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 952
  • Mosconi Cue Butt (original).jpg
    Mosconi Cue Butt (original).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • Forearm & Veneers.jpg
    Forearm & Veneers.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 959
  • Butt Sleeve (initials).jpg
    Butt Sleeve (initials).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • No, 1 Photo.jpg
    No, 1 Photo.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Matt, the pics of the first cue are an Adams repro... Prongs are not Gus's nor Spain... The cap is also not right... And the original is different in other ways...

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha......that's funny.....I guess I got bum information because that's what I got Jerry to make.......silly me.......can't change the thread title.
I thought the person who gave me this idea was dialed in after I had to scrap the original design.& he seemed pretty certain. too when he sent me the pics.

This is a good funny........the design I thought to be an original Balabushka at least provided me with a version to work with and I'm pleased with how mine
turned out. There's similarities with the butt sleeve on Phil's cue that Jerry made. Oh well, at least now I can state with absolute certainty that the cue Jerry
made is better than the other cue in the photos.

Matt B.

cuesterpat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GB Cue

If my memory is right it is a GB-LTD-2, which was one of 3 limited Balabushka cues made by Adam Cues. I actually had one and sold it.

flufly da killa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
W t f! The two cues in photos are both copies......oops my bad..the second the second cue is the imposter clone fake copy counterfit,...the first cue is a balabuska..adams p a i d,tribute in the form of a check to the balabushkas.for the sole rights to continue what the great one started..and for more than 20 yrs they have been puting out great cues for all of use who wish we could have a real george and couldnt..and for under a 1000 dollors...bottom line to pay tribute you need to pay..and if you didnt then your the fake...dont matter who the builder is...the two cues in this thread ....two 1000 dollor cues two adams ...sorta ...exept one guy paid way to fukin much and needs to find some way to justify his slingblade like choice of groosly over paying..

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Sure, the top cue is a repro BUT it's a close enough facsimile of the cue made for Willie by Adams to work from. In fact, Matt, your cue looks more like a cue George might have made had he lived a little longer. He was pushing his own envelope at the time he passed. Enjoy your cue Matt.

I will say one thing though, I had the chance to handle a bunch of these Adams tributes for what they were they weren't built half bad and the guy doing the wraps really did a pretty fine job. One thing I did hate though was how far the rubber bumper stuck out. To this day that's one of my top 5 things I can't stand on cues that have a traditional rounded edge bumper...

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it would be very safe to say this.

Jerry saw the picture and knew what was expected.
Now Jerry has one more very happy costumer.
Jerry's Cue looks nothing like the Adams by the way.
More like a Tascarella.
Nick :)

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
W t f! The two cues in photos are both copies......oops my bad..the second the second cue is the imposter clone fake copy counterfit,...the first cue is a balabuska..adams p a i d,tribute in the form of a check to the balabushkas.for the sole rights to continue what the great one started..and for more than 20 yrs they have been puting out great cues for all of use who wish we could have a real george and couldnt..and for under a 1000 dollors...bottom line to pay tribute you need to pay..and if you didnt then your the fake...dont matter who the builder is...the two cues in this thread ....two 1000 dollor cues two adams ...sorta ...exept one guy paid way to fukin much and needs to find some way to justify his slingblade like choice of groosly over paying..

Really bro?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Ah, the mysterious second Mosconi Bushka. Pictures of it are even more rare than his well-used Bushka. The only one I know of is in Pool and Billiard, March, 2011, shown below. The particular article was "The Cues of Willie Mosconi," by Charles Ursitti. There is a page of text with the article. If anyone wants to see it, just let me know and I'll post it.

Two observations: One, the Adam replica is not bad. Tim (Skins) has noted some of the differences. The most obvious differences that I'll add to are the nickel rings in the joint collar were more centered than the originals, and the points usually don't come close enough together at the base. Also, it's usually obvious that it's not older Cortland linen. The veneers are usually too thin and vibrant. But I agree, it's not a bad replica.

The real deal is at the bottom right. I can tell by the joint collars. For the sharp-eyed, can you find the mistake in the page? Yep, at the top right, the text reads, "The second Rambo used by Willie Mosconi..." Forgiving the spelling of "Rambow," the picture above it is not a Rambow at all, but Mosconi's well-used Bushka, the same as the picture below it. Oh well, the editors always miss things that I catch.

Anyhow, enjoy the picture. Let me know if you want me to post the page of text for the article. It's written by Charles Ursitti.

At your service,
WW

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Matt, you may be in luck, even a Tibbitts tribute has been done. Good low weight, also. Tibbitts was an 8-point, but Madden did 6.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt,
recently there have been many Bushka tributes posted. I think this one is one of the very best! Congratulations on owning a great cue! I sincerely like it very much!
Phil

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I thought I remembered the "rings" in the sleeve of Willie's second Bushka were George's gold bands. I think this picture shows my memory may still be in tact if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me..Lol.:embarrassed2:

Ah, the mysterious second Mosconi Bushka. Pictures of it are even more rare than his well-used Bushka. The only one I know of is in Pool and Billiard, March, 2011, shown below. The particular article was "The Cues of Willie Mosconi," by Charles Ursitti. There is a page of text with the article. If anyone wants to see it, just let me know and I'll post it.

Two observations: One, the Adam replica is not bad. Tim (Skins) has noted some of the differences. The most obvious differences that I'll add to are the nickel rings in the joint collar were more centered than the originals, and the points usually don't come close enough together at the base. Also, it's usually obvious that it's not older Cortland linen. The veneers are usually too thin and vibrant. But I agree, it's not a bad replica.

The real deal is at the bottom right. I can tell by the joint collars. For the sharp-eyed, can you find the mistake in the page? Yep, at the top right, the text reads, "The second Rambo used by Willie Mosconi..." Forgiving the spelling of "Rambow," the picture above it is not a Rambow at all, but Mosconi's well-used Bushka, the same as the picture below it. Oh well, the editors always miss things that I catch.

Anyhow, enjoy the picture. Let me know if you want me to post the page of text for the article. It's written by Charles Ursitti.

At your service,
WW

dom_poppa

Banned
Fantastic cue.

While the design pays homage to Balabushka, it still stands out enough as its very own design.

I love the triple rings on the butt. I have never seen anything like that before.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
terrific cue

it wasn;t meant to be a copy,just a tribute
and i think it is a great one

i own one of the adam ones,actually never marketed by adam as far as i know
willie held the tribute and beamed with pride

i can only guess what he would do with yours

i like the blue veneer,balabushka made me a hoppe style with blue

congrats,it is beautiful