Tournament Directors and Players Dress Code Idea

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Seems like a lot of posters here have a problem with tournaments that are streamed not enforcing dress codes. Personally I don't have a preference for dress codes however i do love the game and want to contribute where i can.

If you're one of those who cares about dress codes then perhaps you can contribute by adding $$ to an event for the Best Dressed or even have a small prize whether it be a gift card or some pool related prize.

Or perhaps Tournament Directors can work a deal with one of the many pool apparel companies to provide T-shirts/POLOS that have the tour/tournaments name with various advertisements on them. Not only will it promote the event but who wouldn't want to wear a polo and look professional like you're sponsored. I'm certain it'll get more than one use.

If you're trying to cut cost just charge a little extra entry fee (not to profit but just to break even). At least everyone gets to take home more than just an experience and doesn't totally feel like dead money. lol

Just trying to be about it and not just complaining about it. -Calvin

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Seems like a lot of posters here have a problem with tournaments that are streamed not enforcing dress codes. Personally I don't have a preference for dress codes however i do love the game and want to contribute where i can.

If you're one of those who cares about dress codes then perhaps you can contribute by adding $$ to an event for the Best Dressed or even have a small prize whether it be a gift card or some pool related prize.

Or perhaps Tournament Directors can work a deal with one of the many pool apparel companies to provide T-shirts/POLOS that have the tour/tournaments name with various advertisements on them. Not only will it promote the event but who wouldn't want to wear a polo and look professional like you're sponsored. I'm certain it'll get more than one use.

If you're trying to cut cost just charge a little extra entry fee (not to profit but just to break even). At least everyone gets to take home more than just an experience and doesn't totally feel like dead money. lol

Just trying to be about it and not just complaining about it. -Calvin

A simple dress code such as dockers and a collared shirt would go a long way towards raising the respectability of the sport.

Whether you agree with that statement or not, I believe it is a fact. If you have a "major" tournament with half the field wearing basketball shorts and flip-flops, people are not going to take it seriously.

If poolplayers want to be taken seriously but need a monetary incentive in order to present themselves in a semi-professional manner... well, I guess that just highlights the state of affairs right there.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having a 'best dressed' prize / gift would definitely work as a promotion. Players who choose to be involved great and those who don't, won't! Quite simple really.

As for dress codes in general - am not convinced that it achieves anything in regards to how the game is played, looks or the conduct of players... I guess there lies the debate.

Still a cool idea that doesn't cost money only asserted effort :thumb up:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
As for dress codes in general - am not convinced that it achieves anything in regards to how the game is played, looks or the conduct of players... I guess there lies the debate.

There is definitely a long standing debate about this and at the risk of firing it back up again...

I look at it from the point-of-view of getting media coverage to get it noticed. I don't remember who said it in which thread but someone said they had tried to get local news coverage for a tournament they were putting on and the response was something along the lines of "pool players are fat old men". In other words, they wouldn't cover the event because of the image they have of what pool players are.

I do agree that what a person wears is superficial and if person X is a dirtbag, when he puts on a suit he's just a dirtbag in a suit. However, that doesn't change the fact that when you dress better, people take you more seriously. Is it fair? Nope, but that's the way it is.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
There is definitely a long standing debate about this and at the risk of firing it back up again...

I look at it from the point-of-view of getting media coverage to get it noticed. I don't remember who said it in which thread but someone said they had tried to get local news coverage for a tournament they were putting on and the response was something along the lines of "pool players are fat old men". In other words, they wouldn't cover the event because of the image they have of what pool players are.

I do agree that what a person wears is superficial and if person X is a dirtbag, when he puts on a suit he's just a dirtbag in a suit. However, that doesn't change the fact that when you dress better, people take you more seriously. Is it fair? Nope, but that's the way it is.

That's the absolute truth, though. You get more respect in more presentable attire.

aff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the absolute truth, though. You get more respect in more presentable attire.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. It's dependant upon the person. Call me naive, but in todays day and age it isn't going to be attire that makes a sport flourish. It's the attitude of the players that will make people watch in the first place, unless they are addicted like all of us here. I assume there is a small percent of people that are like the AZ community. Especially with young people, which is the future of the sport, they aren't going to want to watch a bunch of people wearing collared shirts and bow ties - they want controversy. It sells...

If only we could make pool a full contact sport :rolleyes:

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two major State Tournaments in Iowa. One has a dress code and the other does not. At the later one year, a guy showed up wearing gym shorts and a tank top. He is a rather large fellow and he looked like a slob. At the next tournament, with a dress code, he was wearing jeans and a nice looking collard shirt. He actually combed his hair this time too. Looked like a completely different person.

A dress code does, at least, improve the overall appearance of the entire tournament. I hear people crying about it every year..."what does it matter what I wear, I can still shoot good" comments are the norm. Those guys just don't get it. It's not to help you shoot better (or worse), it's to improve the general public conception of pool and pool players. If we are more acceptible to the general public and not looked down upon like sleezy, dirty pool players, we might get better sponsorship and have better tournaments and such.

A prize for best dressed would be a good idea. But those that don't wear the proper clothing now, won't then either. Just put in a dress code (not too excessive) and enforce it with a strong hand (elimination from matches, etc). People will quickly learn to follow the dress code and all will be good.

L8R...Ken

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure that is entirely true. It's dependant upon the person. Call me naive, but in todays day and age it isn't going to be attire that makes a sport flourish. It's the attitude of the players that will make people watch in the first place, unless they are addicted like all of us here. I assume there is a small percent of people that are like the AZ community. Especially with young people, which is the future of the sport, they aren't going to want to watch a bunch of people wearing collared shirts and bow ties - they want controversy. It sells...

If only we could make pool a full contact sport :rolleyes:

In which direction to take pool is a certain dilemma!
SEX and CONTROVERSY sells and has little to do with how a bunch of men are dressed...

...Now a bunch of women! There lies the controversy and debate :thumbup:

aff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In which direction to take pool is a certain dilemma!
SEX and CONTROVERSY sells and has little to do with how a bunch of men are dressed...

...Now a bunch of women! There lies the controversy and debate :thumbup:

so you're telling me if the people from Duck Dynasty started playing professional pool people wouldn't watch it just because they are men? It doesn't necessarily have to be scantily dirtbaggishly dressed men - I see minimal issue with dress code as long as they aren't coming in with a banana hammock and a top hat. As long as the people playing are interesting, people will watch it. But the whole suit and tie thing automatically turns a lot of people off immediately, especially when they are looking for controversy..Now if women started playing in bikinis, I am sure the amount of watchers would explode regardless of the talent of who's playing. But that's a whole different side of controversy like you said.

I really couldn't care less either way to be honest, I love the game for what it is...just saying.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Sometimes dress codes seem dumb, but there is reason that so many companies have them to one degree or another. Not only does it put out a certain image to customers or clients, but it also acts as an affirmation to the employees to be professional. Ever hear the saying dress for the job you want and not the job you have? Same idea here.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying anything a part from the fact that SEX and CONTROVERSY stir up emotions. :thumb up:

What SEX and CONTROVERSY has to do with the game of pool doesn't concern me unless I was on a payroll for it to be a concern :thumb up:

I simply am not convinced that a pool player in for example a suit, sells better that a pool player in jeans?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so you're telling me if the people from Duck Dynasty started playing professional pool people wouldn't watch it just because they are men? It doesn't necessarily have to be scantily dirtbaggishly dressed men - I see minimal issue with dress code as long as they aren't coming in with a banana hammock and a top hat. As long as the people playing are interesting, people will watch it. But the whole suit and tie thing automatically turns a lot of people off immediately, especially when they are looking for controversy..Now if women started playing in bikinis, I am sure the amount of watchers would explode regardless of the talent of who's playing. But that's a whole different side of controversy like you said.

I really couldn't care less either way to be honest, I love the game for what it is...just saying.

I think we are on the same page here :thumbup:

Reactions: aff

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes dress codes seem dumb, but there is reason that so many companies have them to one degree or another. Not only does it put out a certain image to customers or clients, but it also acts as an affirmation to the employees to be professional. Ever hear the saying dress for the job you want and not the job you have? Same idea here.

Some of the world largest companies and organisations of the dress code of no dress code. As long as their services are professional and successful that's all they care for.
Another saying - If the cap fits, wear it.

So again - I just am not convinced what difference a dress code makes?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Some of the world largest companies and organisations of the dress code of no dress code. As long as their services are professional and successful that's all they care for.
Another saying - If the cap fits, wear it.

So again - I just am not convinced what difference a dress code makes?

Most companies don't have internal dress codes but when they represent the company to the public, there usually is. For example, I'm currently wearing jeans and a sweatshirt but when I meet with customers, I'm in a jacket and tie.

Even companies without a dress code actually have a de facto dress code. Places like Google and Facebook want to portray a certain image -- that of a "hacker", we don't care what you look like so long as you can code -- and wearing a tie would actually be frowned upon.

Whenever dress code threads come up, the standard straw man is the "suit and tie" argument. The only people who mentioned suits in this thread are the people who don't agree with a dress code. Dockers and a polo shirt are enough, they are comfortable to wear, and if you only wear them to tournaments last a long time.

So long as the image of pool players is "fat old men" or anything else, pool will not get enough exposure to get the general public interested.

Will people watch Duck Dynasty play pool? Sure, because they're watching Duck Dynasty, not professional athletes competing at a high level. I would like to see pool be part of professional sports with baseball, football, and golf, NOT reality TV with Duck Dynasty and the Kardashians.

If you want it to be reality TV then you definitely need to get rid of any dress codes and let people smack each other in the middle of the game.

So the question is...

What image does professional pool want to portray?

When that question is answered, the issue of dress code should take care of itself.

Editted to add:

I'm already going back on what I said. Almost every company has a dress code, even if it's just internal. If nothing else, it dictates that you cannot wear offensive (e.g., racist, sexist, etc) or graphic clothing or clothing with holes, etc.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Here is a concept, and idea in order to make Pool Players look like Profesional Atthletes, PAY EM LIKE PROFESSIONALS.

IMHO Pool take the same live of SKILL, as many other sports, but pro pool Player don;t make doo doo in compairson with other sports.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Here is a concept, and idea in order to make Pool Players look like Profesional Atthletes, PAY EM LIKE PROFESSIONALS.

IMHO Pool take the same live of SKILL, as many other sports, but pro pool Player don;t make doo doo in compairson with other sports.

I completely agree but at this stage it's a chicken-and-egg problem.

Where's the money to pay 'em like professionals? More people need to pay for streams, tickets to tournaments, etc.
When are more people going to pay for more streams, tickets, etc? When they care.
When will they care? When pool players stop being thought of as "fat old men" and get more exposure in mainstream media.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most companies don't have internal dress codes but when they represent the company to the public, there usually is. For example, I'm currently wearing jeans and a sweatshirt but when I meet with customers, I'm in a jacket and tie.

Even companies without a dress code actually have a de facto dress code. Places like Google and Facebook want to portray a certain image -- that of a "hacker", we don't care what you look like so long as you can code -- and wearing a tie would actually be frowned upon.

Whenever dress code threads come up, the standard straw man is the "suit and tie" argument. The only people who mentioned suits in this thread are the people who don't agree with a dress code. Dockers and a polo shirt are enough, they are comfortable to wear, and if you only wear them to tournaments last a long time.

So long as the image of pool players is "fat old men" or anything else, pool will not get enough exposure to get the general public interested.

Will people watch Duck Dynasty play pool? Sure, because they're watching Duck Dynasty, not professional athletes competing at a high level. I would like to see pool be part of professional sports with baseball, football, and golf, NOT reality TV with Duck Dynasty and the Kardashians.

If you want it to be reality TV then you definitely need to get rid of any dress codes and let people smack each other in the middle of the game.

So the question is...

What image does professional pool want to portray?

When that question is answered, the issue of dress code should take care of itself.

Editted to add:

I'm already going back on what I said. Almost every company has a dress code, even if it's just internal. If nothing else, it dictates that you cannot wear offensive (e.g., racist, sexist, etc) or graphic clothing or clothing with holes, etc.

FULL CIRCLE:
My original post:
Having a 'best dressed' prize / gift would definitely work as a promotion. Players who choose to be involved great and those who don't, won't! Quite simple really.

Still a cool idea that doesn't cost money only asserted effort
:thumb up:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There is one regional tour that would win the most sloppy dressed tour award. Most of the players are obese, baseball caps on backwards, baggy shorts almost to their ankles and crack of their ass showing, flip flops or dirty sneakers, T-shirt rolled up like a window shade showing a bowl of jelly over lapping the pants. Johnnyt

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pools problems / issues lie much DEEPER than that of a dress code.
Sort out many of the issues and a dress code of some description will fall into place :thumbup:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, what I don't like is when I enter a tournament and there is a stated dress code (that I follow even if it is somewhat uncomfortable to play in to me) and I see guys in shorts, t shirt, tank tops, flip flopps and so on. The TD lets them play.

If you have a dress code, than follow it, or have no dress code, and let people drss as they see fit.