Tournament Idea - need opinions

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around my hometown (Duncan, Oklahoma), we have a BUNCH of great pool players IMO.

Now all this is on barboxes, so keep that in mind.

I've been playing all the local weekly tournaments that I can lately, and they average about 20 players....to me this kinda stinks b/c the payouts are split up 4 places, so you don't win much.

Anyway, I thought about putting on a tournament with these credentials:

$5 entry fee (plus quarters per game)
Race to 3, single elim.
8ball using BCA rules
Winner take all.

I know that the winner take all scares people away, so I thought of having a calcutta too.

Anyone think this would be worth my time? I've seen some tournaments around here attract 30+ players and that's what I want to see again.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coors Light sponsors a shootout series around here during the february/march months.

These are 64 "qualifier" tournaments, where the winner only gets a jacket (windbreaker with logo and year embroidered on it) and free entry to the final tournament. The final tournament consists of all 64 winners of the qualifiers.
I've only been able to get into these tournaments for a couple years, and due to funds, schedule, etc.. I've only been to 4 of them, but the ones I went to were PACKED. One had 95 players...95!

Those tournaments have the following credentials:

$5 entry (all of this goes to the final tournament payouts)
race to 2, single elim.
8ball using BCA rules

They always have a calcutta at every one. Good money.:D

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Winner take all, you should have the top three players show up anyway....randyg

Snorks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have two weekly handicapped tournaments in our area.

Friday night there is an 8 ball handicapped tournament. $10 Entry, the top three are paid out. Last week it was $100/$50/$30 with 18 players.

Sunday there is a 9 Ball tournament on 9' tables. $20 Entry ($5 to the house). I'm not sure how many they pay out in this one (it has just started up)

Then there are weekly tournaments (SCAB) 9 ball non-handicapped for different handicaps (B, A, AA, AAA, Semi-Pro). $40-90 entry depending on your level. Payouts are not good however and turnout is poor.

Then there is once/month tournament called the ABO 9 ball tournament.. $45 entry. Winner gets $500 guaranteed and they pay the top 8. Around 40 people every tournament.

I guess we are lucky :) I would still like to see a non-handicapped 9 or 10 ball tournament to see who is the top person once every other month. Now that would be fun playing and watching that.. :)

I like your idea for sure. I don't think that $10 would be unreasonable either.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I would say bump the entry to atleast $10 plus quarters.I have played and won a bunch of these little tournaments,one place used to have one every wednesday with from 12-20 players that were pretty weak.I won it I would say about 20 out of 25 times i went and when i lost it was flukey stuff in double elimination single game format.That tournament was $7,5 into the prize and 2 got the quarters,a fun night out but would have been better if the stakes were higher,if someone can afford 5 then why not 10? :D

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
I would say bump the entry to atleast $10 plus quarters.I have played and won a bunch of these little tournaments,one place used to have one every wednesday with from 12-20 players that were pretty weak.I won it I would say about 20 out of 25 times i went and when i lost it was flukey stuff in double elimination single game format.That tournament was $7,5 into the prize and 2 got the quarters,a fun night out but would have been better if the stakes were higher,if someone can afford 5 then why not 10? :D

That's why I ask people that know. I'm trying to scope every option out, and maybe try this out in April.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
randyg said:
Winner take all, you should have the top three players show up anyway....randyg

Winner take the entry money. There will be a Calcutta on top of that.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
kobyp said:
That's why I ask people that know. I'm trying to scope every option out, and maybe try this out in April.
I would say make it $10 and depending on the field you pay out maybe top 2 or 3,if its small then winner take all,we had 20 people and it was winner take all.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Tournament

One that used to draw a lot of players around here was a race to 1, 8 ball, double elimination, bar rules every week with 50% added. Would draw 24 to 36 players every week. Everyone thinks they can win 1 game of 8 ball, but they have to do it several times to win the tournament.

I would suggest $7 entry, plus quarters (players should pay for games on bar tables), 50% added, race to 1 8 ball, BCA rules, double elimination.

if this drew 24 players, that would be $168 plus 50% of $84 = $252.00 total.
Pay 1st $135, 2nd $65, 3rd $35, 4th $17. With 32 or more players, the payout would be even better. If you made it $10 entry, that would be $360 total for payout. Another suggestion, instead of giving out low money for 4th place, give a billiard prize instead, like a Pool hat, a tip shaper, a Pool t-shirt, or something like that.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
One that used to draw a lot of players around here was a race to 1, 8 ball, double elimination, bar rules every week with 50% added. Would draw 24 to 36 players every week. Everyone thinks they can win 1 game of 8 ball, but they have to do it several times to win the tournament.

I would suggest $7 entry, plus quarters (players should pay for games on bar tables), 50% added, race to 1 8 ball, BCA rules, double elimination.

if this drew 24 players, that would be $168 plus 50% of $84 = $252.00 total.
Pay 1st $135, 2nd $65, 3rd $35, 4th $17. With 32 or more players, the payout would be even better. If you made it $10 entry, that would be $360 total for payout. Another suggestion, instead of giving out low money for 4th place, give a billiard prize instead, like a Pool hat, a tip shaper, a Pool t-shirt, or something like that.

That's a good idea. I had thought about doing some type of added money. However, I don't own my own room, so this will be done at one of the bars around town depending on who can & will work with me. The other problem is that it is hard to get anybody around here to add money. I don't have the funds to guarantee that by myself, so I'm not going to advertise something I can't honor.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
You may want to try some version of a King Of The Hill format. I did this once before and was very popular.

I used 8 ball race to 4 single elim. and $10 entry + table time. Paid out 1st and 2nd every week with 50% of the purse and the winner of the 1st week was "king of the hill". I then carried the other 50% of entry money over to the next week and the winner of the next week (still paying 50% 1st and 2nd) challenged the "king of the hill" at a set day and time for that 50% that was carried over and winner take all in the King match, so I always paid out 50% of entries weekly and carried over 50% weekly for the King match. The raigning king of the hill is not eligible to play in the tourney again until he gets knocked off the hill, if he does not show up for the King match then he forfeits and the challenger becomes King. I used set day and time for the King Of The Hill match. So if there were 25 players in the tourney $125 got paid out to 1st and 2nd, the winner is the new challenger for the other $125 winner take all in the King Of The Hill match.

I used to keep a large board on the wall with the weeks in order and the names of the King Of The Hill. It became an ego thing after a while and everyone wanted to be king of the hill.

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
kobyp said:
Around my hometown (Duncan, Oklahoma), we have a BUNCH of great pool players IMO.

Now all this is on barboxes, so keep that in mind.

I've been playing all the local weekly tournaments that I can lately, and they average about 20 players....to me this kinda stinks b/c the payouts are split up 4 places, so you don't win much.

Anyway, I thought about putting on a tournament with these credentials:

$5 entry fee (plus quarters per game)
Race to 3, single elim.
8ball using BCA rules
Winner take all.

I know that the winner take all scares people away, so I thought of having a calcutta too.

Anyone think this would be worth my time? I've seen some tournaments around here attract 30+ players and that's what I want to see again.

I would make it $10 (can't imagine who would be in for 5 but out for 10) and pay 3 places.

Regards,
Jim

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try The "Head Hunt Shootout" Every player pays $20 entry. Below is the prize breakdown and format with a 32 player field single elm.

$5 from each player to finals for bonus $160. 2nd gets extra $10 for each round advanced and remaining to winner.

Each round you advance you win 15$ which would be your opponents remaining entry after the $5 is taken off for the finals.

9-16th wins $15
5-8th wins $30
3-4th wins $45
2nd wins $60 +$40 = $100
1st $75 +$120 = $195

Forgot to add, having people win $$ with just one win may help get the weaker players out.

av84fun

Banned
Jason Robichaud said:
Try The "Head Hunt Shootout" Every player pays $20 entry. Below is the prize breakdown and format with a 32 player field single elm.

$5 from each player to finals for bonus $160. 2nd gets extra $10 for each round advanced and remaining to winner.

Each round you advance you win 15$ which would be your opponents remaining entry after the $5 is taken off for the finals.

9-16th wins $15
5-8th wins $30
3-4th wins $45
2nd wins $60 +$40 = $100
1st $75 +$120 = $195

Forgot to add, having people win $$ with just one win may help get the weaker players out.

I like it!

And cosider holding a spot shot contest.

$5.00 Buy in plus however many quarters you need.
Flights of 5 contestants minimum.
Winner take all.
Give Mulligan on 1st shot but any other misses ends the inning.

Something for players to do when they are between games.