Trouble with recovering rails...

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy working on pool tables a bit and I want to learn how to do all these things myself. I recently bought some new cloth and cushions and have been redoing my 9' table. I'm pretty good at the bed cloth now so I started with the rails. Most people seem to struggle with the rails. I've heard that once you get the hang of it, they really aren't any more difficult to do.

Okay, so my problem is that when I get to the corner pockets, I can not get the fabric to pull around the facing / pocket opening without wrinkles... This is frustrating me a bit. I've been trying since yesterday afternoon. There is a billiard guy 60 miles from here but I really don't want to pay him to do the rails and I really want to learn how to do this myself.

I've followed a few youtube videos and Mose Duane's instructions in A "Rookie's Guide to Pool Table Maintenance and Repair", but I just cannot get it down. I end up with a HUGE amount of fabric every time.

ANY help would be a great treasury of knowledge from you experts out there. I am eager to learn!

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Buy the Simonis training videos. There is one for bed cloth and one for rails. You can purchase them at Seyberts.com.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope everythimg I've heard about this dvd is true because by tomorrow I will have it.I couldn't stand not knowing the right way to do beds and rails!

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... got her recovered with some new cushions and Gorina Basalt cloth. Table looks and plays WAY better but I think after I move I will do it again with Simonis 860HR and Artemis cushions. After I get these DVDs of course! Thanks for the tips! :thumbup:

bayoublaster400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis cloth = $250 DVD = priceless!!! I know I got them and the trick to covering rails and the problem you are having is addressed in the video. As I said, I went from covering one rail in one hour to one rail in ten minutes (beer break included). Save the cussing and screaming....get the video. Good luck with the recover. You'll have pride in your work after a job well done!