TSA to Allow Pool Cues as carry on -

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm confused;

Bats weighing less than 24 ounces and no longer than 24 inches will also be allowed onboard, as will lacrosse sticks, hockey sticks, pool cues, ski poles and up to two golf clubs.

What's this 24 inch rule? Do all these items have to be 24 inches to fit in the overhead compartment?

The way I read it is BATS must be no more than 24".

RED LITE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so fast, Mr. G

Boy - we are excited about this!

This saves every money for every pool player that flies into our tournaments.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

I suspect the airlines won't take long to come up with some extraordinary fee to carry on a cue & case (maybe $50 ?). ;)

Red Lite

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
The way I read it is BATS must be no more than 24".

In the first paragraph, they are talking of "novelty' bats.

Maybe this is what they are talking about...and not allowing "real" bats.

Length cannot be an issue otherwise, hockey sticks...golf clubs, would not be allowed.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
In the first paragraph, they are talking of "novelty' bats.

Maybe this is what they are talking about...and not allowing "real" bats.

Length cannot be an issue otherwise, hockey sticks...golf clubs, would not be allowed.

Actually, if you think about it there should be a minimum, not maximum. Kind of tough to wield a hockey stick on in an airplane cabin.:D

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
This is great news but doesn't necessarily mean we can carry our cues on board. Unless and until each airline changes their size restrictions on carry on luggage you still won't be able to bring cues onboard.

Most or maybe all airlines restrict carry ons by height, width, and length limits and if your carry on exceeds in any dimension you can't bring it onboard. With every airline I travelled with the (standard size) cue case exceeds the length limit.

So, this is a change of mandates that results in no real change in what can be taken aboard? Sounds normal.

Jeff Livingston

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just flew Southwest Airlines and a couple people had big guitars cases on the plane. I think were good to fly.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
i just flew Southwest Airlines and a couple people had big guitars cases on the plane. I think were good to fly.

Where do they put the big guitar cases in the plane. Perhaps the cue cases will go there too. I would think a guitar case is not going to fit in the upper luggage area.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Any package you send next day goes into the same cargo hold. If this was an issue with ivory, we would see vendors with mailing restrictions.

If you check luggage on a plane which goes into the cargo hold does anyone know what the temperature of a cargo hold gets down to when flying? Could ivory be damaged by the temperature in a cargo hold??

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Is a cue case considered a carry-on, or a personal item (handbag or briefcase), which most airlines don't count as carry-on.

I suspect the airlines won't take long to come up with some extraordinary fee to carry on a cue & case (maybe $50 ?). ;)

Red Lite

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is a cue case considered a carry-on, or a personal item (handbag or briefcase), which most airlines don't count as carry-on.

My last few trips, I've been carrying two cue cases (no cues) with me as carry-on. Between me and Cate, we often have the cases and a couple of backpacks and she carries her purse. Nobody has ever said a thing.

I could be very wrong but from what I imagine, cue cases are very easy to store in the over-head. They don't take-up the same kind of space that a small piece of luggage might so airlines will probably not care.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thanks for answering my question. This may make it less stressful to plan a trip.

My last few trips, I've been carrying two cue cases (no cues) with me as carry-on. Between me and Cate, we often have the cases and a couple of backpacks and she carries her purse. Nobody has ever said a thing.

I could be very wrong but from what I imagine, cue cases are very easy to store in the over-head. They don't take-up the same kind of space that a small piece of luggage might so airlines will probably not care.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

A friend just informed me that guitar cases have been approved for years.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Adding my contribution to duplicate new postings announcing this news.

Envisioning Samuel L Jackson, trapped on a Jetblue flight from NYC to LAS full of leaguers.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 2.26.33 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 2.26.33 PM.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 367

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Jude, if you've carried them on but don't know if they fit overhead, where have you been stowing them, under the seat? Years ago you could put them in the small coat closet but most planes don't have those anymore. Please share with the group if you have a secret hiding place. :grin-square:

The on board bins on most aircraft should be plenty big enough. You are "allowed" 24 inches and most bins you can get two bags side by side, so there's plenty of room for a cue case.

pooljunkie4ever

Grab Life by the BALL!
Silver Member
Was at Ohare last week and saw an individual carrying his cue. He had a soft leather case which he put inside his back pack. First time I has ever seen that so I was really baffled how he had got away with carrying his cue. Now I know:D
For sure, this is great news.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude, if you've carried them on but don't know if they fit overhead, where have you been stowing them, under the seat? Years ago you could put them in the small coat closet but most planes don't have those anymore. Please share with the group if you have a secret hiding place. :grin-square:

The on board bins on most aircraft should be plenty big enough. You are "allowed" 24 inches and most bins you can get two bags side by side, so there's plenty of room for a cue case.

Huh? I'm only saying I've never had a problem bringing cue cases aboard even if I have multiple carry-on items with me. Like you said, you can usually fit a cue case in front of most carry-on suitcases.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Glad to hear I can finally carry this on the plane:

Attachments

• iNTIMIDATOR-McDermott-Gallery-Pool-Billiards-Cue-M.jpg
    iNTIMIDATOR-McDermott-Gallery-Pool-Billiards-Cue-M.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 328