"Turn The River" my review

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
I decided to repost this in it's own thread, I feel it's deserving :D

Originally Posted by JAM
Has anybody seen this movie yet?

JAM

Yes, I saw it. Overall it was a very cool experience. The director, Chris Eigeman, came out before it played and introduced it. He gave some very quick info like the budget($500,000) which is nothing compared to the average hollywood movie budgets.

The film itself was good IMHO. I don't want to give much away because it is well worth watching. Famke was great, Rip Torn was ok but I kept getting "Dodgeball" flashbacks. His character was very similar to Rod Steigers character in PHJ. The story revolves around Famke and her desire to be part of her sons life.
There are only 1 or 2 card playing scenes, very minimal. Almost all the action surrounds pool. There's quite a bit of One Pocket action as well as some 8ball and some 9ball. Most of the shots were of the flashy variety designed to entertain the audience but I don't think they over did it.
I liked AZ poster John Jubac's(VKJ) character, Deacon. Most of the pool playing revolves around him and Famke matching up. He's the biggest gambler in town and Famke needs a lot of money quick. You get the picture. I also liked Tony Robles in his small role, I would have liked to see more of him in this.
Overall you have to keep in mind that this is a low budget indie film. That being said I believe it to be better than previous pool based movies like "Pool Hall Junkies" and "Shooting Gallery". For all pool fans it is a MUST see.

After the movie was probably the coolest part of the experience. Both Chris Eigeman and star Famke Janssen came out, sat down on the edge of the stage and had a Q&A session with the audience that lasted a good 45 minutes. They talked about most all aspects of the production and apparantly Famke made mostly all of her own shots and suprisingly made mostly all of them on the 1st take. There is going to be a section on the DVD when it comes out that shows all the behind the scenes stuff. Should be pretty cool.

I hope this little review helps.

George

EDIT: Famke is even prettier in person than on film.....I'm sure JJ could attest to that

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The review yesterday in the New York Times was mixed: http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/movies/09rive.html

The title of the article is: "When Lifes Gives Lemons, Pick Up a Pool Stick." LOL! :D :D :D :D :D

The first paragraph of this review is enough to turn off mainstream America: You can almost smell the clammy atmosphere inside the New York pool hall to which Kailey Sullivan (Famke Janssen), a tough cookie from upstate, periodically repairs to regain her bearings in "Turn the River." Kailey, who has served time in prison, is a card shark and pool hustler who lives by her wits and exists in a state of such high anxiety that stress makes her retch.

I'm still going to watch it when it comes to my neck of the woods. They say the DVDs will be out in July.

Here is the star, who also played kind of a gambler girl role in "Rounders."

JAM

Attachments

• 09river.xlarge2[1].jpg
    09river.xlarge2[1].jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 389

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
The review yesterday in the New York Times was mixed: http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/movies/09rive.html

The title of the article is: "When Lifes Gives Lemons, Pick Up a Pool Stick." LOL! :D :D :D :D :D

The first paragraph of this review is enough to turn off mainstream America: You can almost smell the clammy atmosphere inside the New York pool hall to which Kailey Sullivan (Famke Janssen), a tough cookie from upstate, periodically repairs to regain her bearings in "Turn the River." Kailey, who has served time in prison, is a card shark and pool hustler who lives by her wits and exists in a state of such high anxiety that stress makes her retch.

I'm still going to watch it when it comes to my neck of the woods. They say the DVDs will be out in July.

Here is the star, who also played kind of a gambler girl role in "Rounders."

JAM

A house cue? She IS a hustler!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
A house cue? She IS a hustler!

Maybe it's a Sneaky Pete. LOL!

I'm still cracking up at the name of the article. :D :D :D

When Life Gives Lemons, Pick Up a Pool Stick

It was a New York Times "Critic's Pick," though! :p

JAM

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
Tatoo? Or, unhappy pool god?

I must agree that the photo in conjunction with the first paragraph may turn off many "mainstream" folks.

Does she have a tattoo in that picture, or is that an unhappy "pool god"? :)

Attachments

• clam2.jpg
    clam2.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 520

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whitey2 said:
I must agree that the photo in conjunction with the first paragraph may turn off many "mainstream" folks.

Does she have a tattoo in that picture, or is that an unhappy "pool god"?

I'm not sure, but I think that is her hair, but I could be wrong. My eyes ain't what they used to be, even with glasses. :eek:

JAM

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all John Juback (Duncan)here. First off, thank you George for you review. I thought you gave an excellent brief description of the film. Glad you had a good time in Boston.
As far as Famke's cue it was a Sneake Pete I got for her. It was agreed thats what her character would use.
Famke wore a wig to tone down her stunning looks.
The flim opens today Fri. May 9 in NYC and May 16 in LA. Not sure of the other dates around the country but I feel strongly you all will enjoy it.
Chris Eigeman put together a very strong group of actors. Except for Famke the actors are not necessaraly well known names but all have extensive credits and experience and are well known in the acting industry.
I mentioned it before in another thread that Famke shot every one of her shots. I know because I was there for every one. We worked on it together but becuase of the demands of putting the film together, there is a lot of editing rather then showing her setting up, shooting the shot and the ball going in. But no one else shot even one of her shots.
Chris decided he did not want trick shots but fancy shots that could and have been played in one-pocket. I knew about most of the shots and Chris also had some he knew about.
For Famke to have had very little pool experience and do what she did was amazing to me. Thats including the fact that our training time was compromised because her film 'X-Men' had just opened and she had to fly all over the world to promote it.
If the footage of her shooting all her shots is on the DVD you all will be amazed.
I have not read the NY Times review but many reviews have been good to very good.
For a film made for only $500,000 it's damn good and I was proud to be in it.
If you all have any other questions fire away!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VKJ said:
Hi all John Juback (Duncan)here. First off, thank you George for you review. I thought you gave an excellent brief description of the film. Glad you had a good time in Boston.
As far as Famke's cue it was a Sneake Pete I got for her. It was agreed thats what her character would use.
Famke wore a wig to tone down her stunning looks.
The flim opens today Fri. May 9 in NYC and May 16 in LA. Not sure of the other dates around the country but I feel strongly you all will enjoy it.
Chris Eigeman put together a very strong group of actors. Except for Famke the actors are not necessaraly well known names but all have extensive credits and experience and are well known in the acting industry.
I mentioned it before in another thread that Famke shot every one of her shots. I know because I was there for every one. We worked on it together but becuase of the demands of putting the film together, there is a lot of editing rather then showing her setting up, shooting the shot and the ball going in. But no one else shot even one of her shots.
Chris decided he did not want trick shots but fancy shots that could and have been played in one-pocket. I knew about most of the shots and Chris also had some he knew about.
For Famke to have had very little pool experience and do what she did was amazing to me. Thats including the fact that our training time was compromised because her film 'X-Men' had just opened and she had to fly all over the world to promote it.
If the footage of her shooting all her shots is on the DVD you all will be amazed.
I have not read the NY Times review but many reviews have been good to very good.
For a film made for only $500,000 it's damn good and I was proud to be in it.
If you all have any other questions fire away!

WOW! Thanks for posting! :)

I can't wait to see the movie. As you can imagine, I am sure everybody that loves pool will enjoy this flick.

The video clips on the Internet that I have seen are very realistic.

If you have any movie posters of this movie, I sure would like to buy one. I already have "The Color of Money" movie poster, and this would make a great addition to my office setting. I am a strong pool enthusiast. I would gladly pay you for one, if you can get one. :)

JAM

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM,
I also am looking forward to getting a poster. The one that has Famke sort of sideways getting ready to shoot is great. i was thrilled it's the main poster for the film.

I'm not the person to get them from. I am going to find out how to get them and let you know.

John

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ghostball said:
Is this the JOHN JUBACK that i know,who played in the CLIFTON BILLIARD LOUNG?
RAY
Yes it is Ray!! Great to hear from you again. Kind of nice it's here at AZ Billiards. I have been doing some interviews and always mention you and Clifton Billiard Lounge. What a great time that was. You winning your 3 World Championships and us guys learning to play in your room. Great memories!
hope your great!!!

John

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks for the review George. I'm blown away that Chris was able to make this flick for $500k with the cast that he pulled together. Chris is a pretty cool cat who clearly has some love for pool, so I'm really pulling for him and hoping that the flick has some decent legs on DVD.

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolsnark said:
Thanks for the review George. I'm blown away that Chris was able to make this flick for $500k with the cast that he pulled together. Chris is a pretty cool cat who clearly has some love for pool, so I'm really pulling for him and hoping that the flick has some decent legs on DVD.
Poolsnark,
For what it's worth I'll just say Chris was a dream to work with. I mean he was a great blend of being in charge and knowing what he wanted because he wrote it and also knowing how to give you freedom to do your thing.
He also knew the technical side very well. Put that all together and you got the real deal.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like a poster as well.

Please post purchase details when available.

I look forward to seeing the movie

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did not know you were in a movie congrats, hope you get a lot of work from it. Is there anything you would like to share from the movie, if so send it to ghostball or my e-mail rmartin 749 @ tampabay.rr.com.
RAY