Turning the Spotlight Inward

WiredSpace

WiredSpace
My thoughts regarding pool in the USA in light of the CSI Invitational fiasco.

Right or wrong, Ralph Souquet’s decisions were easy to make. American pool is hardly relevant on a global scale. Ralph’s actions simply prove how insignificant American pool has become to the world. Unfortunately people condemn him before turning the spotlight inward where it belongs.

People would rather pass judgment than accept the truth. This mentality breeds contempt and misdirection. Take the whole “Shane Haters” garbage. People don’t actually hate Shane Van Boening! He's simply the unlucky poster child (shouldering a history of self-important American pool players) for the world to scowl at, with contempt, for representing America’s “traditional” mentality of entitlement. This “brand” is perceived abroad as the epitome of why Americans can’t cut it internationally. Unfortunately, because Shane is America’s #1, he carries that flag on his back whether he likes it or not. The world already perceives Americans as spoiled, self-important and self-entitled. Therefore it stands to reason the last thing pool in America needed was for CSI to give their poster-boy for pool an undeserved second chance. It is unfortunate that through Shane’s groomed perspective he wasn't able to identify with those who considered CSI's decisions unjust. He had an opportunity to improve America's image by accepting no more than his performance earned him. Instead, CSI’s decision(s) reinforced Shane’s weaknesses for international competition in the long run. The fans want to see a true sportsman employ a bit of personal responsibility in situations like these. The fans want a forward-thinking sportsman to recognize injustices and refused to play out of integrity, for the betterment of the game and his legacy. It is perceived that Shane accepted CSI's decisions and continued to compete when he didn’t deserve to. Therefore CSI’s decisions, along with Shane’s acceptance of them, validated an ongoing international perception of the American pool player.

Bottom line: American pool has a long way to go if it wants to be taken seriously by the “Ralph Souquet’s” of the world.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
My thoughts regarding pool in the USA in light of the CSI Invitational fiasco.

Right or wrong, Ralph Souquet’s decisions were easy to make. American pool is hardly relevant on a global scale. Ralph’s actions simply prove how insignificant American pool has become to the world. Unfortunately people condemn him before turning the spotlight inward where it belongs.

News Flash: American pool is an afterthought to the world; hardly even relevant!

People would rather pass judgment than accept the truth. This mentality breeds contempt and misdirection. Take the whole “Shane Haters” garbage. People don’t actually hate Shane Van Boening! He is the unlucky poster child (shouldering a history of self-important American pool players) for the world to scowl at, with contempt, for representing America’s “traditional” mentality of entitlement. This “brand” is perceived abroad as the epitome of why Americans can’t cut it internationally. Unfortunately, because Shane is America’s #1, he carries that flag on his back whether he likes it or not. The world already perceives Americans as spoiled, self-important and self-entitled. Therefore it stands to reason the last thing pool in America needed was for CSI to GIVE the poster-boy for pool in America an undeserved second chance. It is unfortunate that through Shane’s groomed perspective he did not do the honorable thing. He had a choice to display true sportsmanship by accepting no more than his performance earned him. Instead, CSI’s poor judgment reinforced Shane’s weaknesses for international competition in the long run. A true sportsman, not groomed in self-entitlement would have employed a bit of personal responsibility in this situation. A true, forward-thinking sportsman would have refused to play out of integrity, for the betterment of the game and his legacy. Shane accepted the easy way to a possible victory by continuing to compete when he didn’t deserve to. CSI’s decisions, along with Shane’s acceptance of them, validated an ongoing international perception of the American pool player.

Bottom line: American pool has a long way to go if it wants to be taken seriously by the “Ralph Souquet’s” of the world.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
And welcome to the forum btw... As you can tell things are a little on edge here.... And I apologize for calling you out on your 10th post... We have a lot of anon members that provide great content... I don't agree with you at all on this topic but there are 20 new ones every day... I will attempt to be civil on the next one down the pipe.....

Chris

WiredSpace

WiredSpace
All I hear is a bunch of blah blah blah... By yet another keyboard cowboy who doesn't sign his name to what he writes.... You can take the didn't deserve to and the the forward thinking hogwash and stick right back up your anon keister where it came from..... Unless you will man up and sign something don't think you can sit back there and call Shane or anyone else out... We already have a fricking ton of those around here and are in need of ZERO more........

My name is Chris and I approve this message..........

Jeff Leonards from Seattle. Let me know if you require my address and phone number as well.

It's been a pleasure, boss.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Jeff Leonards from Seattle. Let me know if you require my address and phone number as well.

It's been a pleasure, boss.

Good to meet you Jeff.... Been to Seattle a few times... Had work on the Monorail a decade ago... First time I played 3-cushion was out there...

I still don't agree with your take on things but we all have opinions... Removing my anon rant now......

Chris

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respectfully disagree with the idea that American pool is irrelevant to overseas players. If so, why do so many come here to play in the first place? Why was the Taiwan contingent here? Why do the Filipinos and Europeans show at so many events? Why have some, such as Appleton, Immonen, and others, choose to live here? I believe you have inaccurately read between the lines about Mr. Souquet's decision. If I understand correctly, he made attempts to get his flight changed so that he could stay, but was unable to find a flight. If so, then this tournament had some importance to him.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree..., for the most part

Some very good points, but I think you were a little over the top regarding Shane. He was in a no win situation. I don't know that he knew the rules, the tournament director didn't?

Or is this the rule that will be used no matter who the next guy up is and just happened to be Shane? I don't think Shane made a bad move here, not sure that much thought went in to it, players want to play and at the time it might not have seemed wrong to him or anybody, 20/20 is the view after the fact.

To you point about American Pool, yep. If we can Archer or Rodney to set up or Mark Tadd to get back in the game, then we'll have to wait for a number of years, maybe forever!

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it hard to imagine that people have gotten thier panties in a wad so much about this tournament. It's finished and done with? I'm sure someone explained to them that they wanted to PPV all the matches, even if it meant going back and dragging someone back in. Is there a montary difference? Ehh, maybe, maybe not. In the greater scheme of things, the money is so insignificant in pool that I can't imagine anyone would care anyway. If the players themselves are that upset about $500 or $1000 as to make a big issue out of it, then perhaps they shoudl look for a new line of work, like a job that pays. And if the fans are upset about it, they probably ought to get a life. I watch NFL football too and I see fines handed out every week that make the money of this entire tournament pale in comparison. I don't see fans getting in a big uproar about it, and there's way more of them than there are here.

They made a decision, and then they stuck with it. That alone is a good thing in my mind. Even if it was the wrong one (and I don't think it was). If there's anything I don't like, it's someone who keeps swaying in the wind with whatever opinion is coming at them at the moment.

You know, there are legitimate things to discuss elsewhere in pool. Why not discuss those. Maybe next time there will be a notice given that forfeits will be handled the way this was, or that forfeits are final, and that will take the grey area out of it. What will people complain about then?

Last edited: