U.S. snooker

telinoz

Registered
I would love to see this.

Only been a few exhibitions there, with the professionals.

But, market has to be tested and it requires good media support and sponsorship.

From what I know though, Snooker tables in the US are super rare.
There has been a downturn in rooms keeping 9ft pool tables, downsizing to 8ft or 7ft to make more money with space on hand.
A 12ft Snooker table is a real luxury item.

I vote for New York city as a location for a professional tournament on the tour.
It has some established Snooker already.
But, more so for the marketing and the players to be drawn to it.
This is important, that the players want to come.

I remember we had the Goldfields Open in Australia and I was part of the first one in 2011.
Bendigo, nice town.. but not a Melbourne or Sydney.
The event is gone now, part of the issue was the location.
So you have to get that right.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The market for snooker in the US is about the membership of the azb forums. I run into pool halls with snooker tables every so often, the number of players on that table or waiting to play on one is about a 60-1 ratio of pool players.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The market for snooker in the US is about the membership of the azb forums. I run into pool halls with snooker tables every so often, the number of players on that table or waiting to play on one is about a 60-1 ratio of pool players.
When Efren comes to town I see Filipino's coming out of the woodwork. Many with cues in hand. I go anywhere there is a table and never seen these people in my life. Closet snooker fans hiding in the basements?

Last edited:
Be nice to see a Snooker US Open or invitational Masters event.

I don’t see it happening as I don’t believe Snooker has much of a following in the US.

I would really like to see Snooker back in Canada as they produced some fabulous players in the past, but again I think the world has moved on.

Still you never know I would love to be wrong.

Stevexjfe

Have there been any snooker tournaments held in the U.S in previous years, I believe there was a Michigan State Snooker Championship in the 60s and the US Amateur Snooker Championship that been going since the early 90s. Any other snooker tournaments in the U.S?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have there been any snooker tournaments held in the U.S in previous years, I believe there was a Michigan State Snooker Championship in the 60s and the US Amateur Snooker Championship that been going since the early 90s. Any other snooker tournaments in the U.S?
There have been local leagues that had tournaments, but I have not heard of any regional or national tournament other than those organized by the USSA in the past 20 years. Before the pandemic there was a tour of sorts that was the pool equivalent of state-level tournaments. You can probably see results on the USSA website: https://www.snookerusa.com/

I think there were some US snooker tournaments last millennium -- try looking in the old NBN issues in the Goldmine.

Stevexjfe

There have been local leagues that had tournaments, but I have not heard of any regional or national tournament other than those organized by the USSA in the past 20 years. Before the pandemic there was a tour of sorts that was the pool equivalent of state-level tournaments. You can probably see results on the USSA website: https://www.snookerusa.com/

I think there were some US snooker tournaments last millennium -- try looking in the old NBN issues in the Goldmine.
At the start of 2023, Ahmed Aly Elsayed will become the first American player to turn professional since Jim Rempe retired in 1991.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since matchroom sport is all in with pool, could they bring some snooker over the pond?
Like the NFL does.
Is there an audience for this?
I love snooker and seeing it in person would be awesome.
Come on Barry, let us have a taste!
The whole reason (or perhaps 99% of it) Judd Trump played in the US 9-Ball Open last year was to try and generate some interest and test the water for snooker. I think the WST have been desperate for a US event for a while, but they aren't yet convinced there is a market for it. That said if Hong Kong can sell out a 9,000+ seater stadium for snooker you'd assume there must be enough interest if they were find a venue in say Vegas for maybe 1,000 - 2,000 people (which isn't a bad crowd for snooker).

It probably will happen eventually, but it may be a few years away yet.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling pool to the masses has been tough enough. Snooker has zero chance of taking off here.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I would really like to see Snooker back in Canada as they produced some fabulous players in the past, but again I think the world has moved on.

Still you never know I would love to be wrong.
I've been making more of an effort to drive down to Toronto (60mins) and offer up my dead money in deeper end pool tourneys. I was pleasantly surprised to see a large amount of snooker play. It's all but extinct locally for me. Only local table I think is in a legion hall.

Don't mean to suggest snooker will make a comeback, but it's definitely not dead in Southern Ontario at least.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling pool to the masses has been tough enough. Snooker has zero chance of taking off here.
I have to agree. You will just not a get the pro level of player in the US to truly compete. Aly is a decent player, but the snooker pro tour is a different level. I have friends who have made several 147's and they are just very good club players. Aly is a long way from their standard. That being said I hope he does well.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole reason (or perhaps 99% of it) Judd Trump played in the US 9-Ball Open last year was to try and generate some interest and test the water for snooker. I think the WST have been desperate for a US event for a while, but they aren't yet convinced there is a market for it. That said if Hong Kong can sell out a 9,000+ seater stadium for snooker you'd assume there must be enough interest if they were find a venue in say Vegas for maybe 1,000 - 2,000 people (which isn't a bad crowd for snooker).

It probably will happen eventually, but it may be a few years away yet.
Of course it wasn't. There is no interest in that boring game here. Judd was in it to help drum up interest in 9-Ball for snooker fans in Matchroom's UK tv audience.

CJBCoug

Ox Billiards in Seattle is holding several regional and national events in snooker. They held the US Women's Snooker Open this past August. They are doing great things and trying to build up Snooker in the US.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have any American players done well in snooker?
I read a story about Harold Worst in 1965 went to England and won a "Snooker Championship" on a 6x12 table although I have found nothing about the specific Snooker tournament on record.

no, 1965 would have been pulman or davis. the only non-british champions have been canadian, australian or irish.