Ultimate Pool Louisiana Open

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This event started today with streams on YouTube:

I suppose any tournament with decent payouts is a good thing. It is mildly amusing to see the players race around to beat the clock. Tyler ran out a rack in probably 20 seconds. Too bad he always doesn’t play at that speed.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
16 draw.jpg

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Corey Deuel beats Shane McMinn 5-4 with neither player ever scoring a rack on their own break.

This has been entertaining.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised this didn't spur more conversation. I watched as much of the streaming yesterday as I could. Here's my takeaways.
  • This format certainly isn't poised to take over anything under the Matchroom umbrella.
  • If I'm to watch professionals play bar box or to play 8-ball, I would prefer this format.
  • The production values of the broadcast extremely exceeded my expectations better than all but Matchroom
  • My interest in the event skyrocketed with "our professionals" involved.
  • The six ball shootout was dramatically more interesting than spot shot shootouts
  • The shot clock of 30 seconds and then 15 seconds really
  • The matches brought so much drama and excitement
  • Collins and Molina stepped up their commentary from a streamer-level to the next level
  • It really creates epic moments like Roberto's finish against Tyler is worthy of going viral
  • Melling lived up to his "Magician" name more than once
  • Typical Ultimate Pool and Matchroom pros really held up side-by-side in this format
  • I would've loved to see Shane or Sky in the event
  • They should re-run this on The Ocho...LOL
Honestly I'd be very happy if this was a welcomed supplement to the overall pool schedule and to see more of it. I'm not sure of my interest at the amateur level yet.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised this didn't spur more conversation. I watched as much of the streaming yesterday as I could. Here's my takeaways.
  • This format certainly isn't poised to take over anything under the Matchroom umbrella.
  • If I'm to watch professionals play bar box or to play 8-ball, I would prefer this format.
  • The production values of the broadcast extremely exceeded my expectations better than all but Matchroom
  • The six ball shootout was dramatically more interesting than spot shot shootouts
  • Collins and Molina stepped up their commentary from a streamer-level to the next level
  • It really creates epic moments like Roberto's finish against Tyler is worthy of going viral
  • Typical Ultimate Pool and Matchroom pros really held up side-by-side in this format
Honestly I'd be very happy if this was a welcomed supplement to the overall pool schedule and to see more of it. I'm not sure of my interest at the amateur level yet.

i saw the final. glad to see darren back in the winning circle after the heart attack. small event but still a win.

i feel like that for guys like darren and gomez it's a coin toss. ok the shot clock makes it more difficult but it's still easy for the top boys. i often find 8-ball more interesting when players around 700 are playing

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I watched some of it but bar box 8ball is a tough watch especially with A- players. But the production was good and I hope it continues.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would it freaking kill them to put up an actual bracket? Sigh.
Yeah, pretty bad. They did have live scores, I think, but I couldn't figure out what the matches meant.

To be fair, it's taken Matchroom years to figure out a good on-line live event reporting tool. Maybe they have one now.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched a couple matches. Overall excellent production values and good commentary that didn't seem like it was trying to take over the match. Since I dropped in spur of the moment I don't really understand the rules. I did like the shot clock and match clock as a spectator, not sure I will like it when I fully understand the rules.

Like always, short track action can seem pretty blah but then a minor failure to execute turns things around. There were also outs I didn't see coming which was nice.

The short version, I liked the play as a spectator.

Hu

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I’m confused. There was a shootout tournament and now an open tournament? Appleton won the shootout and play for the open is ongoing?

Great to see Darren back on his feet regardless.

Reactions: JAM

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m confused. There was a shootout tournament and now an open tournament? Appleton won the shootout and play for the open is ongoing?

Great to see Darren back on his feet regardless.

The shootout is a $260 entry, $5k added, 16 players event
( I assume was an invitational but maybe not.)
  • $5,000 Winner
  • $2,000 Runner Up
  • $1,000 Semi Finals

The open is a $130 entry, $30k added, 256 max player event.
  • $10,000 Winner
  • $5000 Runner Up
  • $3000 semi finals
  • $2000 quarter finals
  • $1250 9th-16th
  • $750 17th-32nd
  • $300 33rd-48th
The women's event is a $80 entry, $5k added, 32 max player event
  • $3,000 Winner
  • $1,400 Runner Up
  • $700 semi finals
  • $320 quarter finals