US Bar Table Championships to be Mosconi Cup Points Events! Feb 16-22, Reno, NV

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The BCA thing is different. That was for announcing WPA point events here. So far only Turning Stone I believe. They haven't announced others yet, right?
Matchroom is choosing events for their own ranking system.

Good question. Johnnyt

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
The BCA thing is different. That was for announcing WPA point events here. So far only Turning Stone I believe. They haven't announced others yet, right?

I thought the deal was that an event had to be on the WPA calendar to get points from them.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/sports_calendar

But yes, I agree that it seems completely unrelated to Mosconi points.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Lee, congrats...this just might be the single most ignorant comment in the history of AzBilliards. Bravo, sir. I'm sure everyone here would like to see your evidence of these assertions.

I call bullshit. Lets see some transparency and honesty for once. So will
White diamonds now be considered a ranking event, far bigger event than us bar table. Quit the bs Ozzy, people can see right through this. 2 weeks before the event and pliers might have booked flights for the 10 ball and now also others have to book late
Flights to play in your event. As long as you guys do well you don't are what you do, like your boss leaving me voice messages slagging players off.

My post was the most honest not ignorant, your ignorance is coming out with a bs reply instead of being honest and saying we had to do something due to world 10 ball.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Thought the BCA was supposed to be announcing what the three points
events would be, maybe it was to much for them to handle. :wink:

The BCA (Billiard Congress of America) decides which you U.S. events will count towards WPA points in the world rankings.

Mosconi Cup points is nothing more than Matchroom Sport (a private promotion company) choosing which events will count towards inclusion on the U.S. Mosconi Cup team - an event that is promoted and produced by Matchroom. It would be similar to CSI choosing certain events to count towards points in getting invited to one of it's summer events in Las Vegas - if they chose to at least partially determine invitations that way.

While I agree the USBTC are not the ideal events for Mosconi Cup points, it does seem to reflect where pool is in this country. The USBTC does have one of the larger, stronger fields and is relatively well attended by U.S. professionals. So bar box notwithstanding, I can see it.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Also, it looks like the Derby 9 Ball is not only a Matchroom Mosconi ranking event but also a WPA ranking event (so second WPA event after Turning Stone)
http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/11743-derby-city-9-ball-to-carry-wpa-and-bca-ranking-points/

So WPA point events so far:
Turning Stone
Derby 9 Ball

Mosconi ranking events:
Derby 9 Ball
US Open Bar 8 Ball
US Open Bar 9 Ball
US Open Bar 10 Ball

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I hope Shane goes to Manny's tournament and could care less about the MC' Johnnyt

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The odds of SVB not being in the top 3 at years end, even if he skipped the bar table events, are slim.

And even if that somehow happened, does anyone think Matchroom wouldn't select him as one of the wild cards?

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lee - get your facts straight. (You make me sound like a puppet master - LOL). I don't think ANYONE is gonna tell Matchroom what they should or should not do. If you're so frickin' smart, why don't you fix it? You do realize that probably 90%+ all pool in the US is played on tables other than 9' tables. Do you think if you beat someone on a 9' table you will also beat them on a 7' table? Maybe you should look at some statistics instead of just complaining.

I don't create these situations but I have to react to them. There must be a lot of reasons why 9' tables are becoming less in favor. The goal should be to have more players and more events. Jump on board buddy!

The above was posted in 8 and Out about 30 minutes ago

What I just don't get is - what does this have to do with the World 10-ball event in Phillipines? I 'think' there are 3-4 US players over there. (BTW - Rodney is allowed to play in all CSI events. He apologized. The goal is not to be vindictive but to get players to respect what CSI is trying to do.)

Mark Griffin

Lee - are you the 'squeaky wheel'?

And there ladies and gentlemen is the problem with pool. Politics again. So Mark wasn't happy Manny puts on the world 10 ball, he had to fight back and gets a bar table event a mosconi ranking event. I bet white
Diamonds wouldn't be considered for
Mosconi points if they contacted match room. How I'd love to win the powerball, so bullshit like this wouldn't happen. Absolute farce.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee - get your facts straight. (You make me sound like a puppet master - LOL). I don't think ANYONE is gonna tell Matchroom what they should or should not do. If you're so frickin' smart, why don't you fix it? You do realize that probably 90%+ all pool in the US is played on tables other than 9' tables. Do you think if you beat someone on a 9' table you will also beat them on a 7' table? Maybe you should look at some statistics instead of just complaining.

I don't create these situations but I have to react to them. There must be a lot of reasons why 9' tables are becoming less in favor. The goal should be to have more players and more events. Jump on board buddy!

What I just don't get is - what does this have to do with the World event in China? I 'think' there are 3-4 US players over there. (BTW - Rodney is allowed to play in all CSI events. He apologized. The goal is not to be vindictive but to get players to respect what CSI is trying to do.)

Mark Griffin

I think he is referring to the WPA World 10 Ball event in the Philippines at the end of February, scheduled over the Bar Tables

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Seems to me that this move was solely to compete with the World 10-ball event in the Phillipines. Any other reason doesn't make any sense. I think they stand to lose a lot of money on this event now that the World 10-ball coincides, so this is a last ditch effort to attract the pro players. Just my 2 cents.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It is unknown. Matchroom is announcing the events one by one at their own choosing. So far they have announced the Derby 9 Ball, and the three bar table championship events. Matchroom will do whatever they want for their made for TV event, the Mosconi Cup.

Well that kinda seems like crap. Maybe it's just me, I would think to have a point system to establish an American team, you would need to play in American events. But then again there may not be enough American events, but it would seem to me that they could at least announce a schedule of which events awarded Mosconi qualifying points.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Leland,

This makes no sense to me. I think'3-4' players from US are going to the 10-ball event in the Philippines. We are not even trying to compete with that - it is a completely different market and that is WPA points.

That has nothing to do with Mosconi points. There is no desperation at all. An opportunity presented itself and we were very excited to be considered as one of the Mosconi events.

And as I said to Lee Brett. Do you think I just pick up the phone and call Barry Hearn and say - You NEED to make the USBTC events count as a Mosconi Cup event. Sorry - but I don't think that is gonna fly buddy.

Mark Griffin:rotflmao:

Seems to me that this move was solely to compete with the World 10-ball event in the Phillipines. Any other reason doesn't make any sense. I think they stand to lose a lot of money on this event now that the World 10-ball coincides, so this is a last ditch effort to attract the pro players. Just my 2 cents.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What I just don't get is - what does this have to do with the World 10-ball event in Phillipines? I 'think' there are 3-4 US players over there. (BTW - Rodney is allowed to play in all CSI events. He apologized. The goal is not to be vindictive but to get players to respect what CSI is trying to do.)

Mark Griffiny

Big news in the bold part.