US Open 9-Ball 2016 -- Rules

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hotel prohibits smoking and vaping in the Arena and all surrounding areas. It's impossible to leave those areas, smoke and return to play in less than five minutes.
We instituted the rule to emphasize that it simply can't be done, so don't even try it.
Last year, a few players tried to smoke on their time-outs and were late returning to their matches. It's unfair to their opponents and the spectators.
Good question.
I hope that my answer is satisfactory.
Karl

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These rules for the US Open will be quite a bit different from what the Mosconi Cup has used for the last couple years:
- a standard triangle rack (US Open will use a template)
- break from anywhere behind the head string (US Open will use a break box)
- no illegal-break rule (US Open will use an illegal-break rule)

Yes you are correct. Recently was watching past MC from 2010 to 2012. In some of those years, they used illegal break rule but last year they did not so I tot last year was still using illegal break rule
Another thing, in earlier MC, for past the headstring determination, they used base of ball. But that was harder to judge so in subsequent years, they changed to any part of ball :D

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see the " rack on the rail " thing has been officially addressed this year lol so that's a good thing I suppose.

I did notice something in the official rules again this year I am still curious about though. As per written " the 2 ball MUST BE RACKED BEHIND THE 9 " . Now there are technically 3 positions where a ball could be racked " behind the 9 ", so don't they have a specific location in mind ( such as the very back of the rack - think opposite of 1 ball ) or does it mean in any of those 3 position behind the 9? I axed this question last year and do not recall getting a specific a answer.

Thanks for your inquiry.
Placing the Accu-Rack on the rail is a recipe for problems. As these types of racks have become the norm, we have seen many instances when disputes have ensued as a result of balls in play coming into contact with the rack. It takes just a few seconds to remove it entirely and avoid potential problems.
The 2-ball will be placed as the last ball in the back of the rack, directly in a straight line from the 1-ball through the 9-ball.
Karl Kantrowitz

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain the rationale behind not allowing either player to play push out after an illegal break? This seems to go against conventional rule. (Player who broke the rack can call push out if shot is given back by opponent after an illegal break.)

Thank you!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you explain the rationale behind not allowing either player to play push out after an illegal break? This seems to go against conventional rule. (Player who broke the rack can call push out if shot is given back by opponent after an illegal break.)

Thank you!
I make a ball but fail to get two balls into the kitchen. Illegal break. I'm also hooked on the one ball. It would be too brutal for my opponent to give the shot back to me without a pushout allowed.

On the other hand, if my opponent takes the shot it sort of doesn't make sense for him to play a pushout from the position, but I agree that it would not be unreasonable to allow it. It's one of those choices of roughly equal alternatives that has to be made when the rules are written, I guess.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... As per written " the 2 ball MUST BE RACKED BEHIND THE 9 " . ...
The wording is ambiguous, but this means on the back apex of the rack. This rule is fairly common and has been used for about 15 years in various tournaments.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These rules for the US Open will be quite a bit different from what the Mosconi Cup has used for the last couple years:
- a standard triangle rack (US Open will use a template)
- break from anywhere behind the head string (US Open will use a break box)
- no illegal-break rule (US Open will use an illegal-break rule)
At times I believe the MC table has been tapped/trained even when the triangle has been used. Also in the MC the players never rack. Allowing players to rack with a standard triangle leads to problems.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make a ball but fail to get two balls into the kitchen. Illegal break. I'm also hooked on the one ball. It would be too brutal for my opponent to give the shot back to me without a pushout allowed.

On the other hand, if my opponent takes the shot it sort of doesn't make sense for him to play a pushout from the position, but I agree that it would not be unreasonable to allow it. It's one of those choices of roughly equal alternatives that has to be made when the rules are written, I guess.

I think it should be played like this:

If you make an "illegal" break it is "illegal", no matter what is the outcome of the table after the balls are broken, even if you have made something on the break The breaker has lost his turn at the table.

If the opponent is now hooked on the next ball to be shot, he should be able to give the shot back, ask for a rerack, or be able to push out. If he gives the shot back, the original breaker should not be allowed to push. At that point, the original breaker should then have to make a "legal" shot or it is BIH for the other player.

FWIW, I don't like the idea of ANY break being ILLEGAL if a ball is pocketed on the break, no matter if no balls go to the opposite end of the table. Especially if the game isn't winner break. If you don't like the way I'm pocketing a ball on the break, do the same thing when it is your turn to break.

Last edited:

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The rule we commonly apply here (Taiwan, China) is that in an illegal break situation, the opponent can elect to shoot as is, or give the shot back to the breaker, but because opponent has the choice to shoot or not, he cannot play a pushout shot. Only the breaker can play pushout because once the shot is given back, breaker has no choice but to play.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't really get it. The push-out provides a strategic alternative to having no shot after the break. Why shouldn't it also apply to an illegal break?

The intention must be for further punishment for an illegal break: If it's a weak break and there's no shot, your opponent will just turn it back to you and you have to kick at it.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't really get it. The push-out provides a strategic alternative to having no shot after the break. Why shouldn't it also apply to an illegal break?

The intention must be for further punishment for an illegal break: If it's a weak break and there's no shot, your opponent will just turn it back to you and you have to kick at it.

Exactly !
That is the intent.

Karl Kantrowitz
Tournament Director

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No jeans????
Weird

Yes, jeans can, and often are, weird.
That's why we instituted the rule.
However, some jeans don't look like jeans at all.
They may appear to be black pants, neat and somewhat "dressy."
Those may be allowed at my discretion.

Karl Kantrowitz,
Tournament Director

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The legend of Billy's Jeans...

Yes, jeans can, and often are, weird.
That's why we instituted the rule.
However, some jeans don't look like jeans at all.
They may appear to be black pants, neat and somewhat "dressy."
Those may be allowed at my discretion.

Karl Kantrowitz,
Tournament Director

You shouldn't o', hadn't o', oughtn't o' opened that can of worms. :)

B4IFURU18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For future tournaments you need more space between tables to implement the 40s/shot rule even if 1 referee/table. You cant wait for the guy on next table to shoot his shot while your shot clock is running down. Nor you can stop the clock to wait for him.