US Open 9 Ball No one has won twice

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
The video of TK from FLA snapping off the US Open is great stuff. He played fantastic and just drilled Archer in the finals. After its over, he has that golly gee TK smile on his face and looks almost like he is a little embarrassed at all of the attention. That Tommy is one of a kind. I'd love to see him snap it off again.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well, Earl's license plate on that silver Porsche he used to drive read:

5XUSOPN

When I saw him pull away from the convention center in that thing, my beer shot out of my nose laughing so hard. It was the coolest thing ever.

murphy

Registered
Well, Earl's license plate on that silver Porsche he used to drive read:

5XUSOPN

When I saw him pull away from the convention center in that thing, my beer shot out of my nose laughing so hard. It was the coolest thing ever.

Do you really think shooting beer out of your nose is the 'coolest thing ever'?

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Don't people read the whole thread before responding? There must be 8 different posts regarding Earl's 5 times.
Steve

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> If my memory isn't failing me,Kim Davenport finished 2nd in 1989. Kim would have been POY that year if Nick hadn't won 11 titles. Kim followed that up with POY in 1990,but Nick repeated in Norfolk,beating Johnny in the finals after Johnny opened with 6 racks. Tommy D.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
> If my memory isn't failing me,Kim Davenport finished 2nd in 1989. Kim would have been POY that year if Nick hadn't won 11 titles. Kim followed that up with POY in 1990,but Nick repeated in Norfolk,beating Johnny in the finals after Johnny opened with 6 racks. Tommy D.

Varner vs Kim Davenport in the 1989 Finals but I have Mike Sigel against Nick in the 1990 Finals.

spoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really care who wins. I'm just excited to be there for the first time this year!

Also, I'm not sure whether I'm more impressed the Earl has won it so many times, or that there were 16 years between his first and most recent win. Good lord, imagine the things he could have done with a head on his shoulders.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
This week is the US Open 9 ball. No one has won it twice. How many former winner are playing and what are their chances of getting a second win???

BTW I had a kid work for me about 10 years ago His name was Mike Pickett and the family was from Paducah Ky. but had moved to Florida. He was a real nice kid and a excellent artist who like most artist had not found his field. Something came up at work after 3 months that I liked to play pool. Mike said his dad was a real good pool Player and even made cue sticks. Turns out his dad was Mike Pickett also and was runner up to Nick Varner at the US Open in 1989. Mike Sr is a really nice guy and came to our local ball banger tournament a couple of times only because his kid worked for me. He warmed up with me showing his stuff on hard racks but leaving me enough Helen Kellers so I won more games than him. He also threw off in the tournament feeling he was taking advantage to win. They have since left town and Tommy Kennedy now lives in the same town. Tommy leaves Thursday for the Open. The fact that it is a very small town with that many world class players is amazing. Of course I am hoping Tommy Kennedy can be the first to win the US open twice. We always want our home boys to do well. BTW I live several small towns away from them.

David Howard - Twice 1982 and 1986

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really care who wins. I'm just excited to be there for the first time this year!

Also, I'm not sure whether I'm more impressed the Earl has won it so many times, or that there were 16 years between his first and most recent win. Good lord, imagine the things he could have done with a head on his shoulders.

You think 16 yrs is good?

Irving Crane won the WORLD Championship for the first time in 1941 or 42. He then went on to win a lot more World Championships including some in the 50's, 60's and 70's (1). He won the World Championship in 4 different decades!!That is truly amazing imo.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Looking over that list of great players makes it even MORE impressive when you talk about Earl winning the freakin thing 5 times!

Its too bad that his table side antics often overshadow his ability. Id love to see him have a strong showing this year and get somewhat back to his old form.

spoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think 16 yrs is good?

Irving Crane won the WORLD Championship for the first time in 1941 or 42. He then went on to win a lot more World Championships including some in the 50's, 60's and 70's (1). He won the World Championship in 4 different decades!!That is truly amazing imo.

Agreed. Incredible acheivement. Makes you wonder how he'd stack up to today's players. It's fun to talk about, but it's a shame we'll never actually know.

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
look there's nothing wrong with earls game its in his head he has gotten so much grief from what started as a little ranting like sigel did and jealous folks blew it up and started seeing that it would escalate him into doing it more fed into it and its totally irratating to him. if you wanna se earl win it just get everyone to chant earl earl earl. Get him fired up and he will win a 6th time :) he will play with his subconcious again and roll through everyone like a steam roller over gravy...archer can too if you stop making lint float through the air towards the table. Shame on the people that empty out thier pocket lint in the audience, pull it apart and blow it up in the air towards the table :grin:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
FTR, Mike Sigel also won the event in 1974 and 1975 when it was known as Chesapeake Open.

Mike then won this event in 1976 when it was renamed the "U.S. Open 9 Ball Championship". So technically, Mike won it 3 times in a row.

Just ask him yourself.

:)

gcgaryyoyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least one Taiwanese will make it to the top 3 this year...if all the players that said will come to play do come.