Valley 1-piece cues any good?

Pierre Shakes

Registered
I'm just returning Dufferin 1-piece HiRun cues because half of the new cues I put out for house use have broken ferrules after two months. When I got into business 42 years ago I was told that Dufferin was the largest maker of cues in the world - primarily the HiRun. Are Valley Supreme cues reliable? They ain't cheap at $45 usd.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just returning Dufferin 1-piece HiRun cues because half of the new cues I put out for house use have broken ferrules after two months. When I got into business 42 years ago I was told that Dufferin was the largest maker of cues in the world - primarily the HiRun. Are Valley Supreme cues reliable? They ain't cheap at $45 usd.
All good barcues are made in China now. Dufferin is still the best with Players, Action, Koda and a few others that aren't bad either. Dufferin and Players are both made in same factory in China btw. Duff's haven't been made in Canada for a long time now.

Pierre Shakes

Registered
All good barcues are made in China now. Dufferin is still the best with Players, Action, Koda and a few others that aren't bad either. Dufferin and Players are both made in same factory in China btw. Duff's haven't been made in Canada for a long time now.
Thanks. Experience with Valley cues?

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Thanks all. I've written to Varner Cues. The ferrules of the Dufferins use to be fibre - no longer. See the shiny broken ferrule of my recent purchase?

Attachments

• Duff.jpeg
    Duff.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 40

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a local repair guy just have them fixed with better material, maybe juma. Beginners and intermediate players use those mostly and when experienced players grab them it's for breaking most likely. You have cheap ferrules, no pad, and funny looking tips. They don't have a chance. If you buy more what makes you think they will last longer?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
The older house cues are good, and make good conversions. It takes time but buying used is a better option if you don’t need a mass quantity in a hurry. Resale shops, antique stores, the goodwill, even yard sales are good places to pickup cues. There’s a flea market type store in our local mall that always has a dozen or so and are never more than $10. The non wood looking bar cues you see a lot of now, where the paint chips off…those are awful and there will always be a hand chalk or talc mess on the tables if it’s available. Renting decent cues is a good idea, folks leave their id then pick it up when they return the cue. A local poolroom did it here years ago and it worked well. They didn’t have many but anyone who could make a decent bridge always had one checked out.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I used to buy unfinished Valley cues, but they stopped selling them and told me they no longer make cues many years ago. I'm not sure where the current ones come from or who makes them, but it's likely they're just putting their name on them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to buy unfinished Valley cues, but they stopped selling them and told me they no longer make cues many years ago. I'm not sure where the current ones come from or who makes them, but it's likely they're just putting their name on them.
AFAIK EVERY housecue is made in China now. Duff's are still the best with Players and a few others close.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a older pool hall and rented the snooker table. I had my cues but looking in the racks found 2 great old barcues. 4 Point Rosewood into maple. I took those cues to the bar and offered the owner 150 each for them. He glanced at them and said no Dick and Henry use those 2 they aren't for sale.

About 3 months later the place closed and they had a auction at a storage unit. I was asking a regular about the items on the sale and I mentioned those cues. He replied Dick got both of those.
Now i had a fair guess just who that guy was so the next time I saw him I asked about the cues. He got a big smile and asked if I had tried to buy them? I said yes I offered 300.00 for the pair. He replied the owner gave them to me on the grounds that I never sell them. He said I could burn them just don't sell them.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a older pool hall and rented the snooker table. I had my cues but looking in the racks found 2 great old barcues. 4 Point Rosewood into maple. I took those cues to the bar and offered the owner 150 each for them. He glanced at them and said no Dick and Henry use those 2 they aren't for sale.

About 3 months later the place closed and they had a auction at a storage unit. I was asking a regular about the items on the sale and I mentioned those cues. He replied Dick got both of those.
Now i had a fair guess just who that guy was so the next time I saw him I asked about the cues. He got a big smile and asked if I had tried to buy them? I said yes I offered 300.00 for the pair. He replied the owner gave them to me on the grounds that I never sell them. He said I could burn them just don't sell them.
right, so did you play snooker or not?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The valley one piece cues I do t know but I know the nick Varner house cues are the very best I’ve ever seen and used . Super good quality maple in them .

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley #1's were great. I believe Heubler made some house cues that were excellent. They were Heubler or Meucci.