Vern Elliot's Bank Shot

themvols

Vernon's proposition shots

Vernon had many banks which most people only dream of. Unfortunately he is no longer to shoot pool, due to disabling strokes he has suffered, but he personally stopped by my friend's here in East Tennessee last year and tutored him on some of them. They are in touch quite often.

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
banks

The first shot ,the bank down table isn't that hard once you practice it.I have freddies book and it's amazing.The book helped me with that particular shot and all the variations.The side pocket shot is a different story I know the ball goes there but I can't get it to go yet,I'm colse but I would never try the shot in a game unless it's bak pool or there was a safe incorporated into the shot.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cross side reverse

I shot this about 10 times last night on my 9' Diamond. Out of 10, 1 was going and the cue came back into the object ball, and one hung up on the lip. I was disgusted after it hanging up, now know I can make, and quit. It is quite a show.

av84fun

Banned
mmaxey said:
I personally do not believe this shot can be made on modern equipment with tight pockets.

Vern is a friend of mine (starting a few years ago). I SAW him teach a 19 year old kid (with a strong stroke) the shot from the A position at JOB's about a year ago.

It took him 15 about tries.

Regards,
Jim

RON GEARY

Registered
Vern's Back Down Bank

Hierovision said:
A hell of a lot of right english might transfer enough left english onto the object ball to make it come towards the bottom rail despite going straight at the rail. It might work better on a dirtier ball but give it a shot! I'll try this out next time I'm out shooting if I remember. That's the only way I can think of to make this happen.
I LIVE IN LOUISVILLE. VERNONS HOME WAS LOUISVILLE. WE WORKED TOGETHER IN CONSTRUCTION CREW FOR POOL BACKER ''CONCRETE JOHN'' IN THE EARLY 70'S. AT NIGHT WE HUNG IN THE SAME POOL HALL ''PARKMOOR''. ALL OF THE PLAYERS THERE SAW HIM MAKE THE CROSS SIDES & CROSS CORNERS WITH BOTH BALLS FROZE ON THE SAME RAILS ( 9FT.GOLD CROWNS). BUT,,,,,NEVER DID HE SHOOT THE BACK DOWN SHOT THAT IS MENTIONED ON THIS THREAD , NOR DID HE EVER MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT A SHOT OF THIS NATURE......SORRY TO BUST ANYONES BUBBLE, BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD PLAYERS IN LOUISVILLE & NONE OF THEM EVER HEARD OF VERNON SHOOTING THIS SHOT, NOT EVEN LOCAL POOL GURU & POOL GENIUS "CRAZY DALE" , NOR HIS BACKER IN THOSE DAYS " CONCRETE JOHN"....RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED, "RG".

Last edited:

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot

elvicash said:
Here is the shot I was talking about. It is another Vernon special but is not in the bank book. I did not see him make this but I was in a pool hall and they said he had been been betting on the shot when he was in there a couple of weeks prior

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AOMF4BREi1QQsM1RJJK4UOMF4UNdi1UadS@:

Vernon would shoot using cue ball A, howeverI do not see how you could make that shot and get the object ball to turn backwards off the rail.

The natural effect from cue ball B would turn that way but that was not part of his propisition.

I cannot get the ball to even start turning using cue ball A

I guess that is why guy's like Vernon are special.

BTW How do I insert the pool table picts so they show up in line in my post rather than showing up as links?
Using the a cue ball The shot is a 3/4 hit with right english try it out make sure you follow through and you might even have to use a swing stroke a bit.Try the shot with out the other ball and as you get better then put the ball up.This is very hard but with several practice shots you should be able to at least jaw the ball.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
If I am correct, this would be a "dead ball" hit, with inside english, right?

Russ

Not quite, I'll shoot it at the derb.

SLITTLE

vernon

im from the same town vernon now lives and has for at least 18 years i know of, hes the single reason i started playing pool from watching him do things like this but is no where near the strongest of what he could do, i have become good friends with him over the years and you better believe that with simonis and tight or not, if he wasnt in a wheelchair it would still be done, if not easier with faster cloth. i watched him do the side pocket shot three times in a row, with only three shots. one of the stronger shots is freezing the ball on the center diamond on the bottom rail and putting the cue ball exact spot on the oppisite rail and cutting it in either corner. everyone i tell that to thinks its bs but its the truth..... hes busted alot of people defying laws of physics