Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI to those who pre-ordered the VENT physical DVDs, the original expected ship date was August 21, but that has been delayed to August 25. I actually received the DVDs yesterday; but when I tested them, I found that Disc V had the right label but the wrong video (it contained the Disc IV video instead). The company who ran the order just goofed. I was pissed because if the mistake hadn't been made I would have been able to ship everybody's orders yesterday, which would have been 5 days early! Now I need to wait another week or so and ship everything several days late. Very disappointing.

Sorry for the delay,
Dave

I am happy to announce that Bob Jewett and I just released the Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT), a new 5-disc instructional DVD set. VENT teaches all of the skills, knowledge and strategy you need to excel at 9-ball and 10-ball.

For an overview of VENT, see the video trailer that introduces the whole series.

Here's a detailed outline of the entire series listing every topic and technique covered.

The DVDs are available for purchase in high-resolution streamed format through YouTube and we are taking pre-orders for the physical DVDs (they will be available soon).

FYI, I will be posting video excerpts from each Disc on this thread over the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned.

I hope you enjoy and benefit from VENT. Bob and I have been working hard on this project over the last 6 months, and we are excited to hear what people think.

Regards,
Dave

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads up. A few days won't upset the apple cart. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads up. A few days won't upset the apple cart. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Thank you. I know its not a big deal, but I was still very disappointed because I was so excited to send everything out yesterday, which would have been 5 days ahead of schedule.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am happy to announce that Bob Jewett and I just released the Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT), a new 5-disc instructional DVD set. VENT teaches all of the skills, knowledge and strategy you need to excel at 9-ball and 10-ball.

For an overview of VENT, see the video trailer that introduces the whole series.

Here's a detailed outline of the entire series listing every topic and technique covered.

The DVDs are available for purchase in high-resolution streamed format through YouTube and we are taking pre-orders for the physical DVDs (they will be available soon).
FYI to those who have pre-ordered DVDs or who where waiting for the DVDs to be available, the DVDs are now in stock and orders are being processed today.

I hope some of you enjoy and benefit from VENT,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

FYI to those who have pre-ordered DVDs or who where waiting for the DVDs to be available, the DVDs are now in stock and orders are being processed today.

I hope some of you enjoy and benefit from VENT,
Dave
Those who pre-ordered the VENT physical DVDs should receive them soon if you have not received them already.

After you get a chance to view them, please let us know if you have any feedback, honest reviews, and/or questions. Bob and I would like to know what people think about our new VENT series.

Thank you,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last bump to see if anybody else is willing to share an honest review after watching the streamed or physical-DVD versions of VENT.

Thanks,
Dave

pab

Silver Member
I received mine on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, but have not yet had a chance to watch them. I am on vacation this coming labor day week, will watch the entire set and plan to provide a full/honest review.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received mine on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, but have not yet had a chance to watch them. I am on vacation this coming labor day week, will watch the entire set and plan to provide a full/honest review.
Thank you. Bob and I look forward to hearing what you and others think.

Enjoy,
Dave

pab

Silver Member
Disclaimer: I am not an expert at instruction nor a professional pool player. I do not know the authors of the videos being reviewed and have never met them personally. I own most, if not all of their other combined works along with an additional 100 - 150 different instructional videos by a variety of other authors. I have purchased and viewed the entire VENT series and this review is based on my personal opinion/impression of the content.

VENT is a 5-disc instructional series narrated and presented by Dr. Dave Alicatore and Bob Jewett. It covers various principles and game strategy scenarios typically (and sometimes not so typically) encountered in the games of 9-ball and 10-ball. The primary topics covered are the break, basic game strategy, position play and English, safety play and advanced principles, shots and strategies. The cost can vary as you have the option to purchase the discs individually or as a set, which is nice for those with budgetary constraints or those who have a specific area of their game they want to work on. Also, if you are not sure about the product, you can purchase one disc to try it out and then purchase the rest later (and after having reviewed VENT, I have a feeling you will).

The material is very well laid out and follows a structured approach similar to that found in the other Video Encyclopedia products. The graphics and resolution appear to of a high-def quality and the sound is crystal clear. The video editing is nothing short of stellar. Many shots have close-ups and/or are repeated in slow motion where greater clarification is required. That coupled with graphics that outline ball directions, rebound angles and more go a long way in illustrating the effects of the shots. There are no obstructions, shadowing or extraneous noises that affect the viewer's ability to clearly see, hear and understand the information being presented.

The explanations of each topic at hand are given in a clear, detailed, yet to-the-point manner. However, at times it seems as though there can be information overload on concepts that are unfamiliar to the viewer. It can be difficult to absorb all aspects of the information being relayed in one pass. This isn't a criticism of the presentation, rather a compliment in that the level of detail is extraordinarily thorough. Fortunately the content is on disc and can be repeated as many times as necessary for the viewer to grasp the concept. On that same note, the manner in which the instruction is presented encourages the viewer to think for themselves and understand the principles of the shot. This follows the "give a man fish or teach a man to fish" principle, empowering the viewer to apply those principles to the myriad of various scenarios that come up in the games.

In a nutshell, this is a well-organized, professional production. There is breadth and depth with regard to the quantity and quality of the instructional information covered. Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett do an absolutely amazing job in their exceptional ability to explain it all in a clear and concise manner. I would HIGHLY recommend making this entire set a part of your instructional library.

In closing, I'd like to add a personal observation. Unfortunately, I never got to meet or know Robert Byrne, but many of his works are part of my library. Based on his material that I've seen and read, and based on things I have heard from people who knew him, I can only imagine how honored and pleased he would have been that his former table was used in the production of this video series. I cannot think of a finer tribute to one of the greatest ambassadors of pool and someone who loved the game as much as he did.

I hope you find this review helpful.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Disclaimer: I am not an expert at instruction nor a professional pool player. I do not know the authors of the videos being reviewed and have never met them personally. I own most, if not all of their other combined works along with an additional 100 - 150 different instructional videos by a variety of other authors. I have purchased and viewed the entire VENT series and this review is based on my personal opinion/impression of the content.

VENT is a 5-disc instructional series narrated and presented by Dr. Dave Alicatore and Bob Jewett. It covers various principles and game strategy scenarios typically (and sometimes not so typically) encountered in the games of 9-ball and 10-ball. The primary topics covered are the break, basic game strategy, position play and English, safety play and advanced principles, shots and strategies. The cost can vary as you have the option to purchase the discs individually or as a set, which is nice for those with budgetary constraints or those who have a specific area of their game they want to work on. Also, if you are not sure about the product, you can purchase one disc to try it out and then purchase the rest later (and after having reviewed VENT, I have a feeling you will).

The material is very well laid out and follows a structured approach similar to that found in the other Video Encyclopedia products. The graphics and resolution appear to of a high-def quality and the sound is crystal clear. The video editing is nothing short of stellar. Many shots have close-ups and/or are repeated in slow motion where greater clarification is required. That coupled with graphics that outline ball directions, rebound angles and more go a long way in illustrating the effects of the shots. There are no obstructions, shadowing or extraneous noises that affect the viewer's ability to clearly see, hear and understand the information being presented.

The explanations of each topic at hand are given in a clear, detailed, yet to-the-point manner. However, at times it seems as though there can be information overload on concepts that are unfamiliar to the viewer. It can be difficult to absorb all aspects of the information being relayed in one pass. This isn't a criticism of the presentation, rather a compliment in that the level of detail is extraordinarily thorough. Fortunately the content is on disc and can be repeated as many times as necessary for the viewer to grasp the concept. On that same note, the manner in which the instruction is presented encourages the viewer to think for themselves and understand the principles of the shot. This follows the "give a man fish or teach a man to fish" principle, empowering the viewer to apply those principles to the myriad of various scenarios that come up in the games.

In a nutshell, this is a well-organized, professional production. There is breadth and depth with regard to the quantity and quality of the instructional information covered. Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett do an absolutely amazing job in their exceptional ability to explain it all in a clear and concise manner. I would HIGHLY recommend making this entire set a part of your instructional library.

In closing, I'd like to add a personal observation. Unfortunately, I never got to meet or know Robert Byrne, but many of his works are part of my library. Based on his material that I've seen and read, and based on things I have heard from people who knew him, I can only imagine how honored and pleased he would have been that his former table was used in the production of this video series. I cannot think of a finer tribute to one of the greatest ambassadors of pool and someone who loved the game as much as he did.

I hope you find this review helpful.
Thank you for your favorable review. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this, and I'm glad to hear that you value our work.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is anybody else willing to share an honest review after watching the streamed or physical-DVD versions of VENT.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
limited-time 50% offer

FYI, all of our DVD instructional videos (VENT, VEEB, VEPS, VEPP, HAPS, BU, TIPOPAB, HSVM) are now available for stream or download worldwide to any device via Vimeo.

Between now and the end of October, we are offering the stream/download version of the new Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT) for half price! You can click here to access this limited-time offer. Alternatively, you can enter the promo code "IWantVENT" on the Vimeo VENT purchase page.

Advantages of the new releases on Vimeo include:
- All of the videos are now available in every country.
- The videos can now be downloaded or streamed to any device.
- Discounted package deals are now available if you decide to purchase sets instead of individual DVDs.
- The BU, HAPS, VEEB, and VENT series are now offered in high-resolution HD, and the quality of the other videos is also improved.
- All known errors have been fixed or addressed.

If you have purchased streamed access via YouTube in the past, you will retain access into the future, but no other YouTube purchases can be made after December 1 (because YouTube is discontinuing their Paid Content program). So if you prefer YouTube access and want additional titles, you will need to purchase them by Dec 1. Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer YouTube customers over to the new Vimeo system. Vimeo access (for stream or download) must be purchased separately. Sorry.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who haven't seen this yet, Dave Gross (12squared) just posted a thorough and favorable review of VENT (see below) in another thread (see below). If others want to share their impressions or reviews, please do so.

Thanks,
Dave

from 12squared:

Hi All,

I finally cracked open this 5 DVD video series on 9 ball and 10 ball, the latest offering from Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett so I thought I'd write up a little something.

It is no secret that I am friends w/both Dr. Dave and Bob, but that in no way should taint my positive feedback on this series, it is really well done! I like that that each DVD is offered separately or in this set so one can simply purchase whatever would most benefit them.

Bob Jewett has been a very good player of all games, including 3-cushion and snooker for many, many, many years (sorry Bob). He has a very repeatable excellent stroke that has served him well allowing him to execute most shots, if not all. And because of his engineering mind, has accumulated a wealth of knowledge and is able to share it intelligently. I have known Bob for over 30 years and have seen this first hand.

I met Dr. Dave when I moved to Fort Collins and he was looking for someone to shoot some shots while he videoed them w/his hi-speed camera to analyze and post on his website. This process was not for me as I have no patience for the repetitive nature of this, but we became friends. What's cool about Dr. Dave is I was able to watch his progress playing pool (not his full-time job as he is a Mechanical Engineering Professor at CSU). Dave had to work at his stroke and technique. He used the material he gathered and worked very hard at the Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability-Exam materials he developed. Again, he has a stroke that can be learned by most of us without having the natural ability like and Efren, SVB, etc.

There is hope for us!

My observations of the DVD series:

1) This is the best production of all of Dr. Dave's series (most done w/Bob, but not all). I have them all so I know.

2) The most comprehensive series on 9/10 ball that I have see, it is packed w/useful information for the beginner to advanced player.

3) The DVD on "The Break" is awesome. Yes, much of what is discussed and shown has been discussed before by others, but never all together in one place as this one does. One of my favorite things is that Dr. Dave and Bob have break strokes that we all can emulate/duplicate with a little work; so we do not have to break like SVB and have his stroke to be successful (although we would love to). :thumbup: The knowledge gained here may be the difference between winning and losing.

4) Without going into each DVD, I would just like to say that there is great content throughout. Well over 5 hours of concepts; strategies; how to improve your cueball w/a few important rules/tips; best shot/safety options; and examples. But even with that amount of info contained in the DVD's, Dr. Dave points you to additional links on his website for additional detail. You will learn plenty if you want to.

Besides the content, what I loved most was...
This was the first DVD series Dr. Dave has done using Bob Byrne's personal table he bought from Bob before his passing. This was one of the coolest things for me to see as I have known the late Mr. Byrne since 1980. Then at the end of each DVD, Dr. Dave tributes Bob and the first time I saw that I was on the brink of a tear, very touching.

The second thing was that I learned I could quickly jump to the next chapter w/a simple click of a button on the remote so I didn't have to listen to the same introduction section on every separate DVD. I know it's necessary because the DVD's can be purchased separately, but when viewing them together you want to pull your hair out...and I don't have much to pull out these days.

OK, that's it for me. Probably too much info and too personal for most but I really did enjoy the series and learned plenty and think that many of you would benefit from this as well if you play 9 ball and/or 10 ball. My review is now over, you may click the button to bypass this chapter. :grin:

Just so you know, I get nothing for this review I was just compelled to write up something because I thought it was really well done.

Thanks,
Dave Gross (the other Dr. Dave) :smile: