Vision Centre Shift

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
here are a few of what i'm talking about......dont have any at moment of straight on view

Attachments

• image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 375
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 376
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 374
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 394
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 387

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
more........

Attachments

• image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 367
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 370
  • image019.jpg
    image019.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 412

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
took some quick reference pics with my iphone.....yup i have a smart phone now....i know shocker

you can get a straight wrist any way you like, but pointing the thumb down is basically the most easy imop.....and the thumb mechanically sets "straighter" down off the bat going off the first, then increases its orientation at the middle and is pretty nut naturally on the ring finger.....

have shared with a few local guys that really like it, they were previous finger touchers as well, just never moved from the index to the middle or never tried past that middle finger. They all learned the touch from me some time ago anyways so were open to adjustment.

-Greyghost

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 386

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
johns write up is pretty good, he sent it to me awhile back....sadly it keeps getting lost in my stuff....i wanted to combine it with some of the things i teach others. i highly recommend the read.

pidge.....make sure your wrist is straight....this could be a culprit. Then once yor eyes are hitting the spot your wrist is crocked to your gold....check that out and make sure thats not whats busting your balls.

in the old vids i taught the index finger to thumb on back hand, and middle finger......

i currently play with that thumb touching the nip of my ring finger.....

if you look at your hand and go from index, bird, ring with the thumb it straightens the wrist out more and more and then pow, perfect straight.

it will also show that tension the cue puts in the hand once you pull it back too far.....when the hand will hti the back of your shoe you will feel it.....

been talking crap about this and leading in from afar with the cue stick and walking in the shot, as opposed to side stepping in.......

causes lots of problems with the side step from close quarter....lead with cue.

then the body has no choice. but to be on that line that that cues perfectly on.

that hand thing tho is pretty radical.....i been doing that for over a decade and now on that ring finger for about 6 months and i doubt ill ever look back. its helped me to lighten up my "cradle" even more and kept down the dumb ass long pullbacks that always cost us in general.

- the gh gh gh greyghost
My wrist is nice and straight all throughout the stroke. The vision shift doesn't make a difference to my cueing at all. I can still score heavy and make the breaks I just find it odd. Everything I've read points to it being fixed but I'm experiencing something different. It may be due to fatigue or lighting, who knows.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
My wrist is nice and straight all throughout the stroke. The vision shift doesn't make a difference to my cueing at all. I can still score heavy and make the breaks I just find it odd. Everything I've read points to it being fixed but I'm experiencing something different. It may be due to fatigue or lighting, who knows.

roger that buddy....just offered it up to make sure, you know how troubleshooting goes.....i been wanting to write something about that hand postition again and 3rd finger etc.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
roger that buddy....just offered it up to make sure, you know how troubleshooting goes.....i been wanting to write something about that hand postition again and 3rd finger etc.
Do it! I enjoy reading tips from other players. Can never have enough pool advice. I appreciate yours and everyone else's help in trying to get to the bottom of this.

I'd like to see a thread on your thoughts on the grip. It will help lots of players out as I think it causes the most common issues with amateurs cueing.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
johns write up is pretty good, he sent it to me awhile back....sadly it keeps getting lost in my stuff....i wanted to combine it with some of the things i teach others. i highly recommend the read.

pidge.....make sure your wrist is straight....this could be a culprit. Then once yor eyes are hitting the spot your wrist is crocked to your gold....check that out and make sure thats not whats busting your balls.

in the old vids i taught the index finger to thumb on back hand, and middle finger......

i currently play with that thumb touching the nip of my ring finger.....

if you look at your hand and go from index, bird, ring with the thumb it straightens the wrist out more and more and then pow, perfect straight.

it will also show that tension the cue puts in the hand once you pull it back too far.....when the hand will hti the back of your shoe you will feel it.....

been talking crap about this and leading in from afar with the cue stick and walking in the shot, as opposed to side stepping in.......

causes lots of problems with the side step from close quarter....lead with cue.

then the body has no choice. but to be on that line that that cues perfectly on.

that hand thing tho is pretty radical.....i been doing that for over a decade and now on that ring finger for about 6 months and i doubt ill ever look back. its helped me to lighten up my "cradle" even more and kept down the dumb ass long pullbacks that always cost us in general.

- the gh gh gh greyghost

Thanks for the kind words on my write up Keebie.

I'm a retired DDC designer and troubleshooter. It was a lot of fun........logically:)

John

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's something that's helped me recently. I use to be focused on trying to get the cue under my chin in the same spot every time.

What I've discovered (and this could be a byproduct of my previous use of CTE) is that the angle of my cue will vary depending on the shot, and this puts the cue in different spot in relation to my eyes.

So I stopped worrying about the cue, and started focusing more on the location of my eyes. Or more importantly, my vision center.

As I've mentioned before my vision center (or whatever you want to call it) is slightly inside my left eye. Now all I do is when down on the shot, make sure that my VC is on the shot line. I don't even worry about how the cue is lined up except for where the tip is going to contact the cue ball.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope that those that asked for my write-up have had the success this player has had:

Quote:

Hello John,

I wanted to say a big thank you for your article. Not only did I read it, but I immediately went downstairs and tried it out.

The results were fantastic.

I practice a lot of late night sessions because of job and kids and stuff, and some nights my consistency has been off. In fact the last week or so I hit a rut where I wasn't sure about my perception of the shot...I was guessing.

But your articles nailed it. I'm cross eye dominant (shoot right, strong eye left) so I started to just use the right eye to find the shot line, and then step into the shot and naturally fall into the stance with left eye favoured (just letting it happen).

Also, your recommendations of utilizing left eye for cuts to left, then right eye for cuts to right was wonderful.

Needless to say, that very night I was popping the pockets and stroking them in. Had trouble falling asleep after that, I was so excited.

You were correct in saying how it's a task to get oneself to do this automatically, and until then, I'm taking my time and physically closing the eye that is not being used to find the line and align myself, until it all gets buried deep in the subconscious. But I truly truly believe THIS was definite problem I was having but just didn't know why.

You solved it and I thank you for that bit of advice.

I am very grateful.

Thank you,

End Quote

The eyes lead and put the body in the correct position with the shot line. We have a parallax error in our vision. This is no problem when looking at objects. But when we have to pick out a minute point on an OB then parallax error becomes a problem. Your eyes will seem like they are fighting each other trying to find this point.

The parallax error in our vision is corrected by correct positioning of the body.

I'm happy that I was able to help. :)

Thank You.

John

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
My vision center is not directly between both eyes. When I get tired, I move the cue between my eyes and start to miss something awful. When I am out of stroke I miss when I am fresh.

Lighting doesn't seem to be a problem for me as I can play almost in total darkness. Lol

JoeyA

Does anyone experience this? One week, day, month you play with a certain vision centre and you play great then you start to play bad and can't hit the cue ball at all then you shift the vision centre slightly or drastically in some of my experiences and you play better than ever for a while. With me it's a constant cycle. Things like being tired and even lighting can make a difference.

Thoughts?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the drill I shoot everyday. The first 30 balls are shot using a stop shot. The second 30 are shot using high and having the cue QB follow the OB into the target pocket. (the high spin shots are the ones I call the truth in your set up and stroke. If you can't do this with some accuracy, how can you ever be expected to send the cue ball to the OB accurately)
Shoot 10 balls at each OB location. The OB moves closer to the target pocket after each 10 shots (30 total)

This drill is used to get your body in alignment with the shot line as viewed with your weakest eye (this corrects for the parallax error in your vision) from a standing position. As you bend down to shoot the shots your dominant eye will guide your cue onto the shot line.

If your having an issue let your left shoulder/arm lead (assuming you are right handed) as you bend down to shoot the shots.

Have fun. :)

John

Attachments

• Drill.jpg
    Drill.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is the drill I shoot everyday. The first 30 balls are shot using a stop shot. The second 30 are shot using high and having the cue QB follow the OB into the target pocket. (the high spin shots are the ones I call the truth in your set up)
Shoot 10 balls at each OB location. The OB moves closer to the target pocket after each 10 shots (30 total)

This drill is used to get your body in alignment with the shot line as viewed with your weakest eye (this corrects for the parallax error in your vision) from a standing position. As you bend down to shoot the shots your dominant eye will guide your cue onto the shot line.

If your having an issue let your left arm lead (assuming you are right handed) as you bend down to shoot the shots.

John

i been doing those about 13-14 years....i've always called them the indian guide lol......tonto leading the lone ranger to the hideout :) it is a great shot and is the TRUTH....the best drills imop incorporate items from this shot.

if you cant be dead nut on a straight in.....you cant be dead on, on a cut shot.

its like with our games.....our top gear is very hard to increase....but your B GAME, well thats got alot of range to improve greatly all the time....

the straighter you can resolve yourself to get in line on a straight in then the closer your going to get to your true marks on cut shots.

and dont forget the visualization once your down in the box :)

-Greyghost

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading this post, I kept thinking about it. I was having problems with a long draw shot. Sure nuff, after some careful observation, I made the shift & all is well.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the drill I shoot everyday. The first 30 balls are shot using a stop shot. The second 30 are shot using high and having the cue QB follow the OB into the target pocket. (the high spin shots are the ones I call the truth in your set up)

If your having an issue let your left arm lead (assuming you are right handed) as you bend down to shoot the shots.

John

I do something very similar. I use a version which is 5 shots with a lot of draw, 5 shots with about a foot of draw, 5 stop shots, 5 stun follow shots and 5 follow shots hoping to make the CB also. Having been in a slump now for almost a year I tried this again with my head where I had become use too, I made 16 out of 25. Really abysmal compared to what I use to do. I moved my head around and finally found I needed to move my head a few inches to the right. All of a sudden I was in the 20 range averaging around 23 out of 25. Night and day difference and my confidence on the shot went up significantly.

Al

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's something that's helped me recently. I use to be focused on trying to get the cue under my chin in the same spot every time.

What I've discovered (and this could be a byproduct of my previous use of CTE) is that the angle of my cue will vary depending on the shot, and this puts the cue in different spot in relation to my eyes.

So I stopped worrying about the cue, and started focusing more on the location of my eyes. Or more importantly, my vision center.

As I've mentioned before my vision center (or whatever you want to call it) is slightly inside my left eye. Now all I do is when down on the shot, make sure that my VC is on the shot line. I don't even worry about how the cue is lined up except for where the tip is going to contact the cue ball.
i know this is an old thread but can you elaborate a bit on this comment?i don't fully understand what you mean.

VVP

Registered
Does anyone experience this? One week, day, month you play with a certain vision centre and you play great then you start to play bad and can't hit the cue ball at all then you shift the vision centre slightly or drastically in some of my experiences and you play better than ever for a while. With me it's a constant cycle. Things like being tired and even lighting can make a difference.

Thoughts?
In Trapshooting they found that when you get tired you tend to "cross fire" meaning the eye opposite your shooting side is trying to take over. A lot of pros have sight blinders at the end of their barrel to help overcome this. See picture. I am not sure what can be done in pool other than don't play when you are tired.
ph_sb-1_closeup_lg.jpg

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried to shoot with one eye closed? Like shooing with a rifle? It may solve some problems.