Wang Can

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of him since he is in my part of the world. I'm sure in time he will give a lot of world class players a run for their money. :rolleyes:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
I saw him at the Hardtimes last year. He is good but Biado won the tourney. He didn't win an event at the Rio BCAPL.

Wang Can is dull to watch whereas Carlo Biado is exciting.

what was that event where he beat biado like 11-1?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I heard that his parents own or used to own a pool room back in China, where he obviously spent most of his life up till now. He's a monster...I hope he hangs with it, he'll be a top contender for a LONG time. I think his maturity and demeanor may have something to do with him not speaking much English...as he learns, you might see a slightly different personality emerge. His style and technique remind me a little of Alex P., but with a little quicker pace.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm wondering how many members have seen Wang Can play? He's a young Chinese player and I just can't believe how good he is at such a young age. I missed seeing him play at last years US Open, but I got a copy of an Accu-stats match of Wang playing a Japanese Champion on the TV table at the Open last year. I was away from the tournament (running errands) when they played on the TV table and when I got back I heard a lot of people talking about how good he played. I'd heard about him when he played at the Tunica tournament last year, but i'd never seen him play. Well I got a first hand look at him thanks to Accu-stats and this fellow is one strong player who will be around for a long time. Danny D couldn't say enough about how good he thought this young man is.

I've seen him play so good that the ONLY player that bested him at the Ultimate 10 Ball Championship was Mika.

After playing Wang Can, Shane told me, something to the effect, "That young guy 'beat me good'."

Great composure while winning, not so good composure when Mika turned the tables on him. Will see lots more of him in future years.

JoeyA

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Seriously? You can put Can and Yi in there, but Landon doesn't belong in the same area code. Can could spot Landon pretty nicely and walk away with the cash.

There should be some kind of match between Ko-Pin Yi vs. Wang Can/Landon Shuffet, 3 of the youngest top tier professional pool players as of today.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very FIRST time I saw Wang Can, I said, "Wang Can DO".

He can "do" everything. I think he will only get BETTER as time goes by and the ONLY thing that would hold him back is something "mental"...as in losing focus or getting upset with himself after making an error. I THINK I have only caught a possible glimpse of that a COUPLE of times since the first time I saw him.

I have said before and will agree with what JB said on here...JB would know more about that than me because he lives there.

The Chinese will RULE pool one day if that is their GOAL. I seriously mean that on an INTERNATIONAL level. If it were EVER to become an OLYMPIC medal, the Chinese would OWN IT. You may as well engrave their flag on it. They would spend TONS of money to ENSURE their players WON.

I lived in Taiwan for 3 years. I have lived with Chinese for 40 years...I know how they THINK.

And if Wang Can "DON'T" then there is ANOTHER Chinese "Can Do" right behind of him that "Will Do". :)

Aloha

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Nope...I used to work with an employer that hired Chinese entertainers and they always provided their own guides for the troupes.

One of us is an expert on china ;)

It ain't you because I am willing to bet $10,000 RIGHT NOW that Wang Can doesn't have any kind of government guide whatsoever.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Seriously? You can put Can and Yi in there, but Landon doesn't belong in the same area code. Can could spot Landon pretty nicely and walk away with the cash.

Landon 100% belongs up there with them. What sets Landon apart is that he is going to college instead of pursuing being a pro player. He will have a career ahead of him when he finishes school and can then pursue pool or his career or both.

Landon runs balls as good as anyone on Earth.

But if you think that Can Wang can spot Landon big and win then I will be willing to put $10,000 of my money on Landon if Landon gets the 6out and the breaks which is what I consider a big spot. I am pretty sure 99% of the professional players would be on my side of that bet as well :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It ain't you because I am willing to bet $10,000 RIGHT NOW that Wang Can doesn't have any kind of government guide whatsoever.

Only thing you got action with me relating to China is whether I like Chinese food in America.

And yo have to bet I do (I do not).

My statement to one of us being an expert was to acknowledge that you would be far more aware of the topic than I.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Only thing you got action with me relating to China is whether I like Chinese food in America.

And yo have to bet I do (I do not).

My statement to one of us being an expert was to acknowledge that you would be far more aware of the topic than I.

I am just messing with you - China is pretty loose these days on letting people out without minders. My wife's former dance colleague now heads a team that does extravagant productions around China and they frequently take trips abroad to study other dance troupes and shows.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just messing with you - China is pretty loose these days on letting people out without minders. My wife's former dance colleague now heads a team that does extravagant productions around China and they frequently take trips abroad to study other dance troupes and shows.

I worked in China for many years until recently and we sent many Chinese on foreign trips. There were never any "minders"

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

TBH Ko in a long set of 10-ball would likely obliterate Can. Ko is a SVB level threat in a long session of 10-ball. Do you like Can vs SVB in a long TAR match?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TBH Ko in a long set of 10-ball would likely obliterate Can. Ko is a SVB level threat in a long session of 10-ball. Do you like Can vs SVB in a long TAR match?

I think the ONLY advantages SVB may have on him and those are not really quantifiable or even able to be measured. That would be experience, focus, and heart or grit. Over time, Can will be in the position to gather and maybe even surpass SVB in that. Only time will tell. Both have natural talent and almost perfect eye/hand coordination and skill...the mental game is the determining factor.

Aloha.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No question that Wang is a great young talent. How far he will go and how long he will last remains to be seen. He is already a world class player but how he handles the inevitable losses will tell a lot about his character. I've seen many fine young players give up the game after they find out there are a bunch of guys out there who can and will beat them. It takes years of seasoning (with rare exceptions) to reach the top of this game, and STAY THERE!

Johhny was getting pretty frustrated when he was like 19 and 20 because he couldn't win a tournament. Of course he was getting knocked off by the likes of Earl, Sigel, Buddy and Efren, but nonetheless he was getting disheartened. Keith and Cole were the most naturally talented teenagers I ever saw, who never showed an ounce of fear, win or lose. Hopkins and Rempe were the best East Coast teens, and they had pretty solid careers.

I wouldn't underrate Landon. Who really knows what he is capable of. IMO he has World Champion written all over him!

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
9 ball race to 15 or 21 OR
10 ball race to 21 SVB is slight favorite