Warning label on a players cue I just purchased. "MAY CAUSE CANCER.."???

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a players cue and the shaft had a warning label that said: (paraphrasing) " This product contains chemicals that in the state in california have found to cause cancer and birth defects."

Does anyone know anything about this? Would these chemicals cause this by skin contact, ingestion...or is this more of a CYOB kind of disclaimer? I've never heard of a cue causing cancer or birth defects.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Don't grind up a bunch of them into dust and sniff it or feed it to pregnant women and you'll prolly be ok

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a players cue and the shaft had a warning label that said: (paraphrasing) " This product contains chemicals that in the state in california have found to cause cancer and birth defects."

Does anyone know anything about this? Would these chemicals cause this by skin contact, ingestion...or is this more of a CYOB kind of disclaimer? I've never heard of a cue causing cancer or birth defects.
Just guessing here but i'd bet that has to do with the finish. A lot of finish/paints are REALLY bad if you breathe or ingest them. Unless you're going to smoke or eat your cue i wouldn't worry about it.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think pretty much just about everything can cause cancer nowadays.
Just don't eat it, you should be alright

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I lost my favorite toothpaste because of California's retarded legislation.

If you'd only stop chewing on your shaft, then you'd be ok.

Jeff Livingston

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That warning label is only meant for the snowflakes of the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The experts now say that TALC causes cancer. Use of talc on hand and cue-shaft is a common practice.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Hey, I have an idea.....Why doesn't some Californian come up with a pool cue study (paid for by the CA taxpayers, of course) that examines just how players get cancer from playing with that shaft.

Step One: We need a really big, new pool hall that doesn't have any cancer-causing things in or around it to keep the study real, man.

Step Two: The State govt can fly in pool players to participate in the study. They can call it a tournament so as to keep the players in a "double blind" environment.

Step Three: Because we don't know what causes the cancer, all bets are ON. That is, betting is allowed to keep the study honest.

Step Four: Beer. Without beer, no pool playing study is worth anything.

Vote for me.

Jeff Livingston

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Many products have warnings. Most are there just to CYA (cover your ass) in case of lawsuits.
I saw a bag of kitty litter with a warning label that said... This product could be unsafe for pets.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CA is nuts, they stick this on anything that has any chemicals. It's been happening recently more and more. Almost every current computer product has this warning on it, someone actually posted in a tech forum scared to by hard drive cables and asking why a major online seller would be selling products that cause cancer LOL http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3609475/sata-cable-cancer-warning.html

I think when a new baby is born they tattoo it with a "being alive may cause cancer" warning.

I figure as long as I stay away from CA where everything seems dangerous, I'll be OK.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CA is nuts, they stick this on anything that has any chemicals. It's been happening recently more and more. Almost every current computer product has this warning on it, someone actually posted in a tech forum scared to by hard drive cables and asking why a major online seller would be selling products that cause cancer LOL http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3609475/sata-cable-cancer-warning.html

I think when a new baby is born they tattoo it with a "being alive may cause cancer" warning.

I figure as long as I stay away from CA where everything seems dangerous, I'll be OK.

I spent my first 20 years living in California. They definitely go a lil overboard. In fairness, Massholes are no picnic either.

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx for all the replies and for some good giggles! :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think pool shafts should have a warning label on them that says....
,!! Caution!!! This product may cause a stroke!!!!

‘Course, I know several players that have not experienced this effect whatsoever.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent my first 20 years living in California. They definitely go a lil overboard. In fairness, Massholes are no picnic either.

Yep, MA and CA are both filled with people that love to be outraged and offended by everything.