Warped Butt, Likelihood of Worsening?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never once tried to blame it on or insinuate bad workmanship. I’m very confident that is not the case at all. The Issues were likely caused by improper care under a previous owner, or possibly even in shipping, although it was only in transit for around 40 hours.

The shaft and the butt were both wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap, then placed in a rather large cardboard triangle box with no other packaging materials to secure them. They were completely free to move around in the box. I always use shipping tubes myself, they’re a whopping $2.99 at staples.

No, at least not the last I checked.

Uploading a picture of the box it came in.

Edit: photo keeps failing to upload. I’m sure you guys know what I mean when I say “triangle box” but I’ll try to upload the picture again later from a stronger network.

Thank you. Everything you have posted so far is why I said. Get. Refund from the seller. Avoid the hassle of trying to contact the Cue maker unless your willing to spend more money on the repair. You bought a 2nd hand cue and unfortunately what can go with that.

RedBowTies88

Registered
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You bought a damaged cue on faceflop, go snivel there about it.

You just told me that the way it was shipped most likely caused the problem. Don't stuff a triangle box with bubble wrap, it can cause a warp. It could have been crammed into an area during shipping and that could cause a warp because it was sitting in a warped position for 40 hours. Many things could have happened.

I ship with triangle boxes AND I use a PVC pipe inside that, you could jump up and down on the box and not damage the cue. Perhaps facefloppers don't know this but here at AZBiliards? It's been posted over and over and over again, that's why I say go whine on faceflop.

Sir, I’m not sure how or why I have offended you. I came here to solicit thoughts and guidance for a situation I’ve never been in before, with my first ever higher end cue.

I don’t want to whine or snivel. I simply wanted opinions of those who know more than I on what they believe I should do, and also whether or not they believe this warping issue would likely continue to get worse if I decide to keep the cue.

I’m not here to place blame on anyone (least of all the builder). I never said that the warp likely occurred in shipping. I just said I was not a fan of the way it was shipped. It was my understanding that warps where generally caused by environmental conditions and poor storage. Although the shipping method was quite poor, the short transit time and mild weather is what lead me to believe the warp probably didn’t happen during shipping. I never considered the fact that it could of been under pressure while packaged to cause the warp. I’m here to learn.

The fact is that I really couldn’t/can’t afford to buy an expensive cue directly from the builder, I had to stretch hard to just buy this second hand. I wasn’t aware that buying used custom cues from Facebook (or anywhere else) was offensive to some.

RedBowTies88

Registered
Thank you. Everything you have posted so far is why I said. Get. Refund from the seller. Avoid the hassle of trying to contact the Cue maker unless your willing to spend more money on the repair. You bought a 2nd hand cue and unfortunately what can go with that.

Appreciate the info. Hard for me to let it go because I do really love the look and play of this cue but that’s most likely what’ll have to happen. Before I do that though I will get back in touch with the builder as he was quite interested in finding out where precisely it came from and how it got to me.

If he thinks he can fix it for a fee I may just do that, if I have some time to recoup a little cash. I absolutely positively would not expect him to work on it without charging me. I’m going to come up with a solid verdict today after getting back in touch with him. Perhaps even contact the sell and see if we can work out a deal on the repair cost of Barry thinks it’s viable.

I feel really scummy asking for a break on the price I paid while still keeping the cue, but I guess the seller may prefer that. I’ll have to find out.

Thanks again,
Beech.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chances are la la was warped. Shipping could have made it worse but unlikely to have created. :(

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, if you have an issue with my post feel free to contact Mike Howerton and he can verify my IP address.

Are you and Ding Dong the same person?

Sometimes we might be. When people tend to start playing in the ATCM. It's sometimes nice to get a handle on who and what they are. That's pretty forward andc
simple. As far as checking with Howerton. I could care less.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could care less.

Yes, you could care less, although I assume you meant you "couldn't care less"? Since you cared enough to ask, I guess my assumption could be wrong.

I am curious why you think we are the same poster, is it because we posted in the same thread? Maybe you can be so kind as to share the logic behind you thinking we are the same person.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you could care less, although I assume you meant you "couldn't care less"? Since you cared enough to ask, I guess my assumption could be wrong.

I am curious why you think we are the same poster, is it because we posted in the same thread? Maybe you can be so kind as to share the logic behind you thinking we are the same person.

Sure. Post 17 made me curious.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You bought a damaged cue on faceflop, go snivel there about it.

You just told me that the way it was shipped most likely caused the problem. Don't stuff a triangle box with bubble wrap, it can cause a warp. It could have been crammed into an area during shipping and that could cause a warp because it was sitting in a warped position for 40 hours. Many things could have happened.

I ship with triangle boxes AND I use a PVC pipe inside that, you could jump up and down on the box and not damage the cue. Perhaps facefloppers don't know this but here at AZBiliards? It's been posted over and over and over again, that's why I say go whine on faceflop.

Why don't you and CuesDirectly stop being douches and keyboard warriors? I mean, really? You're grasping, if the only thing on which you're picking is a man's grammar.

Hadn't given that much thought, but dang that is very true, great point!. The general consensus is not to leave your cue in extreme conditions. When it is being shipped(depending on from where and how far it has to travel, and time of transit), it could possibly encounter heat and cold, then add in poor packaging, seems like a chance for something to go wrong.

This post, above; written in the first person, gave the illusion you were answering for the OP.

Stop being snarky twats.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post, above; written in the first person, gave the illusion you were answering for the OP.

Stop being snarky twats.

I was simply agreeing with David's post(quoted below) that shipping might have been an issue in causing the warp, I respect David's input as a cuemaker and thought it a valid point he brought up. Do you think shipping couldn't have played a roll?

I live in the Southwest where temperatures reach 110 in the summer and 50's at night, packages that aren't delivered I believe are left in vehicles overnight.

Maybe instead of being a snarky twat yourself, you go back and reread the thread, good day sir.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please explain what you meant by "not a fan of how it was shipped."

Cuemakers know how to ship, flippers, it appears, do not.

If it was packaged wrong in a box for a few days, that could have caused it. It could have become damaged in transit as well.

Why allow all to believe it was workmanship while you refused to elaborate on shipping?

Please explain problem with shipping in detail, Thanks.

Hadn't given that much thought, but dang that is very true, great point!. The general consensus is not to leave your cue in extreme conditions. When it is being shipped(depending on from where and how far it has to travel, and time of transit), it could possibly encounter heat and cold, then add in poor packaging, seems like a chance for something to go wrong.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you and CuesDirectly stop being douches and keyboard warriors? I mean, really? You're grasping, if the only thing on which you're picking is a man's grammar.

Stop being snarky twats.

Your right. Thanks Buster.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stop being snarky twats.

I would also like to point out the irony involved in your post. You thought I was answering for redbowtie.

Fair enough.

You then did the same thing by jumping in and answering a question I asked directly of Michael.

By the logic presented in this thread, you and Michael must be the same person. ;)

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I would also like to point out the irony involved in your post. You thought I was answering for redbowtie.

Fair enough.

You then did the same thing by jumping in and answering a question I asked directly of Michael.

By the logic presented in this thread, you and Michael must be the same person. ;)

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

I did not do the same thing. I never thought you answered for redbowite. I read and followed the entire thread. I was simply trying to explain a confusing post made by you, that didn't fit with the rest of the thread.

I'd much rather be Michael than be you.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suite, is it?

I did not do the same thing. I never thought you answered for redbowite. I read and followed the entire thread. I was simply trying to explain a confusing post made by you, that didn't fit with the rest of the thread.

I'd much rather be Michael than be you.

Well, it certainly gave the illusion you were answering for Michael, since my post was directed at him only, nice of you to answer for him.

Bad reading compression, a douche, keyboard warrior and a snarky twat, way to keep it classy Buster ;)

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it certainly gave the illusion you were answering for Michael, since my post was directed at him only, nice of you to answer for him.

Bad reading compression and snarky twat, keep it classy Buster ;)

I asked a simple question. That's all.
For the record. Buster can answer for me. I no read so good sometimes.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked a simple question. That's all.
For the record. Buster can answer for me. I no read so good sometimes.

I have always enjoyed your posts Michael, tons of great advice. I too was just asking a simple question as to why you thought we were the same person.

Glad to see you got a good sense of humor, not a fan of when people get their panties in a ruffle and start calling names, hope you have a lovely day.

I'll jump out the thread and let the pros discuss.

RedBowTies88

Registered
Nice to see there’s as much “diversity” in the online pool community as there is in my local league.

:grin:

Still waiting to hear from Barry about possibly fixing this cue and the cost involved so I can relay that back to the seller.

As was posted here several times, the wise thing to do would be just sending it back for a refund straight away. I don’t want people to think that I’m not heeding or ignoring their concerns, I just want to take a little more time to see if there could be another viable option.

Thanks again,
Beech.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always enjoyed your posts Michael, tons of great advice. I too was just asking a simple question as to why you thought we were the same person.

Glad to see you got a good sense of humor, not a fan of when people get their panties in a ruffle and start calling names, hope you have a lovely day.

I'll jump out the thread and let the pros discuss.

Thank you. I'm an ass at times, I'm the first to admit it. I just try to get a handle on people. It comes down to this. I have an acquaintance who plays in the main forum. A debate came up, he calls me saying.
And I quote
I don't think people know who I am.
I just start laughing my ass off. Then I stop and say. WHO ARE YOU In this Industry?
Then I say. I'm an old man who builds and repairs cues. An absolute nobody in this world AND you are???????
An az'er with a fake screen name.
He got mad at me. Go figure.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

Bad reading compression, a douche, keyboard warrior and a snarky twat, way to keep it classy Buster ;)

I take them as I find them, and call them as I see them. Your milage may vary.

JC

Coos Cues
Nice to see there’s as much “diversity” in the online pool community as there is in my local league.

:grin:

Still waiting to hear from Barry about possibly fixing this cue and the cost involved so I can relay that back to the seller.

As was posted here several times, the wise thing to do would be just sending it back for a refund straight away. I don’t want people to think that I’m not heeding or ignoring their concerns, I just want to take a little more time to see if there could be another viable option.

Thanks again,
Beech.

How do you fix a warped butt without reducing it's size?

The only worthwhile concept in this thread so far.

JC