websites?

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
why is it that so many of you cuemakers dont have websites? i think that it would be a great idea? if i see a cue out and about and have never heard of the maker before i allways try looking for a website and 7 out of 10 never have one..even some of the "top" cuemakers dont have websites showing past cues and cues in the works....also would it help you get your product out to a broader group....not only will it help people see your work but it will also keep backup records for the future of your cues and also it is just neat to so the progression of your work....anyway just alittle rant...i realize that if you working on your website and not on cues then your really not getting any work done...however sometimes i cant picture what i want in my head and i dont have the imagination that such artist as yall do...thanks in advance mickey carroll

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not as easy as some people think.

I can only speak for myself, but even though he doesn't have one, I know I would like to see a Searing website to look at his cues, and be that as it may, I don't think his cue business is suffering at all. I am sure he has his own reasons as to why he doesn't have one.

Coming up with a website is very difficult.. there are many hours that go into not only creating it, but maintaining it as well.

Like many have said before, just because you're a good cue maker doesn't mean you are a business man. Also, many of the cue makers are doing it solo and a website among other things just isn't a priority.

I went to google and created my own for free in my spare time, but that isn't the first time I made a website. Take into consideration all the things that come with cue making and you might think differently.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Well,
If you guys want to have a website let me know. I know I am making cues but I don't think I will ever stop collecting...
I will work for wood and cues.
I did several websites for some cuemakers on AZ. So if your issue is money, don't worry about it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member

. . . .

Coming up with a website is very difficult.. there are many hours that go into not only creating it, but maintaining it as well.

Like many have said before, just because you're a good cue maker doesn't mean you are a business man. Also, many of the cue makers are doing it solo and a website among other things just isn't a priority.

. . . .

Tap Tap Tap!!:thumbup:

It's another technology you have to learn. Plus hosting fees - run it from your home PC? Why not - it will only be SLOW!!!. Then if you want to sell your cues or other equipment, you have to get a secure credit card seller's license - not free. And if you want people to be able to order from their SmartPhones, that's another technology to weave in and a license to buy. All these side issues take time to learn and time to implement - time taken away from cue making.

It's like asking the question "Why don't all CM's have CNC?" Getting the machine is one thing. Then you have to learn CAD, CAM, and GCode plus the nuances of the particular hardware and software packages you have chosen. The learning curve is long and it TAKES TIME.

So I understand completely why many don't have websites - sure I wish they did too, but I understand.

My 2 cents,

Gary

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can only speak for myself, but even though he doesn't have one, I know I would like to see a Searing website to look at his cues, and be that as it may, I don't think his cue business is suffering at all. I am sure he has his own reasons as to why he doesn't have one.

I went to google and created my own for free in my spare time, but that isn't the first time I made a website. Take into consideration all the things that come with cue making and you might think differently.
You think it needs some work maybe?
http://www.searingcues.com/

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member

This web address is useless without pics. :D

One word..........Time.

Unless you have someone that will maintain your site for free it can be very time consuming. I have a ton of pictures and information I'd like to add to mine. It's hard motivating one's self after spending 8-16 hours a day in the shop to sit down and do website work. It's not expensive to get a domain and have it hosted....maybe $20-35 a year? For me it's the time.
(it just took me 15 minutes to type this post) :(

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Cuemakers build websites? ARE YOU CRAZY? Have you noticed how hard they struggle to simply post on a forum? :grin-square: :grin-square:

Searing's site is awesome. ;) Most good custom cuemakers don't need to advertise much though...

There are a few out there that are really good, DZ's comes to mind.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member

One word..........Time.

Unless you have someone that will maintain your site for free it can be very time consuming. I have a ton of pictures and information I'd like to add to mine. It's hard motivating one's self after spending 8-16 hours a day in the shop to sit down and do website work. It's not expensive to get a domain and have it hosted....maybe $20-35 a year? For me it's the time.

dittto that:thumbup:
everyday i have the best intentions to do a little work on my website,
but i get caught up in working, knowing i have to do this, have to do that,

by the time i get cleaned up,
grab some grub, sit down for a few minutes to relax,
i'm shot. :thud:

i was telling a friend a few days ago,
i could use one guy for a solid week ,
doing nothing but prepping veneers, drum sanding them, gluing stacks, ring billets, etc.
another guy doing nothing but turning squares, shafts, etc.
another guy doing pictures and website updating
nothing about cuebuilding is that difficult,
it's just there's a blue million things to do for one man

oh yeah, and whatabout the 67 emails & pm's to answer
and the phone calls

love it, wouldnt trade it for a truckload of coors lights ( well, maybe i would):thumbup:

incomplete, desperatly in need of updating, website below;)

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have never seen Dennis's website before. Never even crossed my mind one could exist. Seeing what is there only makes me angry I didn't find such an amazing creation sooner.

Trent

Banned
also from another perspective alot of cue makers are part time and possibly couldnt handle the added bussiness a website would bring.

if you build a quality cue, it only takes one then word of mouth will do the rest.

but there are some great full timer web sites out there,
Dickie
Joe baker
Brent

i think im the only ohio guy that doesnt have one lol

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
upkeep

One word..........Time.

I have had a site for about 7 years and the pictures don't take themselves and they don't get edited for the web or post them selves. I would love to have the time to be able to keep it up. And before I get hounded for a free site I am not interested. The website and I have a love hate relationship. Love the idea hate computers.......

John

searingcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plain Jane web site :)

I can't believe you guy's are making fun of my web site. I've got hundreds of hours in creating it.:D Besides I thought plain jane traditional was the ultimate way to go, no veneers, inlays, or anything that won't help pocket balls.:grin-square:
Truth is, I don't want to advertise. I'd rather work as hard as I can on each cue, in hopes it will sell itself.
Because I've been asked many times, I hope to add pictures when time presents itself in the future.

Thanks for the laugh,
Dennis

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
I like your website Dennis. At least you do have one.

Best Wishes,

Steve

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe you guy's are making fun of my web site. I've got hundreds of hours in creating it.:D Besides I thought plain jane traditional was the ultimate way to go, no veneers, inlays, or anything that won't help pocket balls.:grin-square:
Truth is, I don't want to advertise. I'd rather work as hard as I can on each cue, in hopes it will sell itself.
Because I've been asked many times, I hope to add pictures when time presents itself in the future.

Thanks for the laugh,
Dennis

We are all just kidding a bit, you know that. I only posted it because it does exist. Maybe just center it and add a border so it is like a business card. We know you don't really need a site but people are still curious about you. I quick bio and maybe a picture of two. I doubt many know what level of player you are.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member

Thanks for the laugh,
Dennis

my thread brought out the master.....:cool: i had hoped to see you at the expo this year....hope things are going well....mickey hope soon to be on your list....

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are all just kidding a bit, you know that. I only posted it because it does exist. Maybe just center it and add a border so it is like a business card. We know you don't really need a site but people are still curious about you. I quick bio and maybe a picture of two. I doubt many know what level of player you are.

I am rethinking my post. I am here at my desk getting ready to call the accountant and I took a look at his card as well as my attorneys card. They are just fine quality linen cards with their names centered pretty small and contact info at the bottom. Simple and classy. Not like say a card by a guy who does say lawn service that has everything he can think of jammed on the card with a picture of his dog. There are plenty of pictures of Searing cues on the net just hit google and he doesn't need calls from someone wanting to buy a cue for their boyfriend who has no idea who Searing is. I now like what Dennis did maybe just fix it up a bit and it will be a classy calling card by a classy guy.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member

LOLz, that's some website. I'm in the middle of getting an AS in web development. I'll tell you right now a real website is more than many think. Just look at the 10 pound textbook I have on coding. Then there is graphics, knowing how to put it on a server, and many more things, CSS, XHTML, SQL, Scripting, Server side programming. Simple stuff.